Petula Clark

mjzee

Petula Clark isn't much for hanging out in the past. This may explain why the 1960s British pop star long ago chucked the miniskirts and trumpet-sleeved baby-doll dresses that were part of her mod, mod, mod, mod world.

"My daughters are furious because I haven't kept any of that stuff. They would love to have go-go boots or some of the other things I used to wear," said Ms. Clark, 79, whose children will have to content themselves with mementos like mom's two Grammy Awards and her 10 gold records for such hits as "This Is My Song," "My Love" "I Can't Live Without Your Love" and, of course, the catchy little ditty that started it all, "Downtown."

More here:

WSJ

She and Tony Hatch had a great run of pop records 1965-67, "Downtown", "I Know A Place", "Round Every Corner", "A Sign of The Times", "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love", "My Love", "Who Am I", "Colour My World", "Don't Sleep On The Subway" are all fabulous. "Who Am I" should have a been much bigger hit than it was. Spectacular production on many of these.

• 1 year later...

I think I was the wrong age for Pet. In the early 60s, I used to be friendly with a girl who managed in a record shop in Ealing. She used to get blues & R&B singles in on the day of release, knowing there was a bit of a market there. One day she told me a GREAT story, though I never knew if it was true. She got a call from the organisation that put together the UK pop charts for the New Musical Express. They'd apparently had a fire in the office, had lost all the information they used to compile the charts and needed to produce something for the publishing deadline, so were doing a quick telephone sample. And she told them that Pet Clark's cover of Lee Dorsey's 'Ya ya' was her best seling single. So it entered the top thirty!

I always thought it was extremely odd for a French language cover of an R&B song to be a hit in Britain :)

MG