does it still make sense to buy cds?

A "nuclear storm," EMP or whatever might destroy hard drives, but it shouldn't affect CDs at all. On the other hand, I don't care what medium you're storing your music on, but it'll be hard to hear any of it without electricity. Maybe we should start buying up sheet music. ;)

That said, I've been buying tons of CDs lately - but mostly because I'm finding them for only a buck or two... much less than most legal downloads.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I've been buying tons of CDs lately - but mostly because I'm finding them for only a buck or two... much less than most legal downloads.

That is true; I always compare the price of disc versus download. With disc, you also have the resale factor, and the documentation (graphics, booklet, etc).

I only buy a CD if a download is not available.

Does it make sense to buy CDs? In the same way that it makes perfect sense to go for a ride on a steam train at the weekend. Great fun, nice smell, warm, fuzzy nostalgia. But don't think they are coming back as the main means of rail transport.

A "nuclear storm," EMP or whatever might destroy hard drives, but it shouldn't affect CDs at all. On the other hand, I don't care what medium you're storing your music on, but it'll be hard to hear any of it without electricity. Maybe we should start buying up sheet music. ;)

Where are those CDs?

But yes, an EMP would probably wipe out the electrical grid. Best to install your own solar panels and hand-cranked generator at home.

If the EMP is caused by nuclear weapon, then you will probably be dead or dying, so no need to worry about your music.

I don't trust anyone that creates an Adele station on Pandora to know anything about music whatsoever.

I still by CDs. Hell, it's generally the only way I can buy music that's coming out that doesn't sound like shit via MP3s. New Tim Berne? CD only. That's just one example.

Edited by Jay

Given my very large collection, I look at CDs as still a convenient way to store lossless digital. Yes, I could rip them all into lossless, and will do that some day. Right now, I don't have the time. I will wait until technological progress makes it easier. I have ripped my CDs into high quality MP3s, which work well on iPods, and that is usually good enough for me.

No, not when you can have analog (LP, tape or whatever). Analog gives you the "whole show", not a sample (CD) or a sampled sample (MP3).

I understand your preference for analog LP. I do. In fact, for the fun of it, I've been buying more & more vinyl. But please stop with this whole "CD only gives a sample of the music" stuff. It's flat-out wrong. It's just the latest CD debunking theory making the rounds of the internet.

If you take an LP and record its output into an analyzer and simultaneously record it to a CD-R, when you compare the analog output of the CD-R's playback to the analog from the LP, from 20-22,000 Hz, it will match perfectly. The sampling rate is good enough for 20-22,000 Hz. Nyquist's Theorem has been proven many times.

I've been able to fool those who insist that "CDs suck" by simply playing a CD-R of an LP and comparing it to the CD. The surface noise identifies the "LP" to their ears. For it's ardent fans, it's all about the ambient sounds in LP playback. A CD-R of an LP can and will sound identical to the LP.

Bad sounding CDs are usually because of bad mastering. What's on the CD is what the mastering engineer wanted on there. If they wanted to boost the highs, the highs are boosted. If they wanted to crank up the levels, the levels are cranked. If they want to make a near-perfect flat transfer of the master tape at a listenable level, they can do that too. If they want the CD to sound exactly like the LP version, they *have* to create that CD from the LP because it's the only way to get those ambient sounds onto a CD.

What I see those who own the music doing is they want to make it so everyone can access the music but not fully control it. So these "cloud drives" are being made as they say with a disingenuously friendly smile, "we'll hold onto it for you!" I don't trust 'em. They'll find a way to make you pay for it again.

When Pandora first came out, I tried to give it obscure stuff to play and sure enough, the program pretty much knew everything. For the first time I grudgingly thought maybe my collection had lost a little value. The moment a commercial came onto Pandora, my collection's entire value returned. They can stick their commercials where the sun don't shine.

Spotify has become the primary way I explore new music, because I refuse to make blind purchases any longer, I want to hear the entire album prior to plopping down money for it. What I've discovered is there is a rather small percentage of things I feel I "NEED" to own, if there's a particular album that I know would only get played once every couple years then that's not really a good enough reason for me to buy it.

These days I don't purchase much music (no disposable income), but when I do it's generally for a deluxe edition that comes with a bonus DVD or other material that would be inaccessible without having the physical disc.

Given my very large collection, I look at CDs as still a convenient way to store lossless digital. Yes, I could rip them all into lossless, and will do that some day. Right now, I don't have the time. I will wait until technological progress makes it easier. I have ripped my CDs into high quality MP3s, which work well on iPods, and that is usually good enough for me.

Though it does take up space I do find that "good ole" CDs make for a pretty good storage medium since I don't live where square footage is terribly expensive. The one area where I could see myself spending time to rip a few hundred discs to lossless would be for things like most Mosaic sets where you can more easily reconstruct original album, and collections from before the LP era and sets with alternates. It's a little easier dealing with a laptop to make playlists so the listening experience is less academic. I've done a little bit of MP3 ripping of Mosaics and had fun finding the original LP covers for the iPod, but I just don't listen to music on a pod much.

Always cover yourself with a disclaimer. I said a magnetic storm "the likes of which we have never seen before!" Hey, if people on this board can play fast and loose with the language as they are known to do, then beware! It goes both ways. :rolleyes:

I just know that an ordinary magnet can wipe out a cd, so it's vulnerable. An lp or other record is vulnerable to heat, but not magnetism as far as I know.

And I never said Anon. could start a magnetic storm. But they certainly could hack a cloud. A cloud source is even vulnerable to the FBI, as we saw with Megaupload being disrupted. A cloud of data could be interrupted or destroyed without us all losing electric power, too.

Doesn't keep me from buying cds and downloads, and used records when I can find them. :party: