NBA 2012

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of The Fab Five, but they went to two NCAA finals in their two years together, that's pretty substantial, granted, they (or CWeb) fell apart at the end of the North Carolina game, with the infamous time-out and everything, but they were good.

I'm not a big fan of The Fab Five, but they went to two NCAA finals in their two years together, that's pretty substantial, granted, they (or CWeb) fell apart at the end of the North Carolina game, with the infamous time-out and everything, but they were good.

They were good. They just could have been better.

Nope Rose and Howard both made the Finals once

That was such a tragedy. They left school because of greed envy and they wound up with no championships and still made plenty of money. There is still some value in staying in school especially when your team in on the brink of true greatness. The money will always be there. Too bad, now Howard is hooked up with Lebron, Wade and Bosh, and he still might not get a ring. :tophat:

Well, my understanding is that even if they had stayed in school, the NCAA would have wiped out those achievements because of UM recruiting violations (pretty much everything from 1992-99 was vacated). Fortunately, they left 1989 alone! But supposedly had UM prevailed in 1993, this would have been overturned. I personally think NCAA is fooling itself that they can make a pronouncement about forfeiting a national title and have the alumni just accept this (like excising the memories a la Men in Black).

When you are an elite basketball player the risk of injury far, far outweighs the rewards of staying in college (which you may not want to be at in the first place) for four years. Not everyone is bright enough or lucky enough to be Tim Duncan. The money will not "always be there" for a guy who tears his ACL his junior year. That guy would have an extra $10 million in net worth or more had he spent those 3 years playing professionally.

You know what will always be there for a player, provided he hasn't squandered all of that $10 million? College.

Edited by Big Wheel

When you are an elite basketball player the risk of injury far, far outweighs the rewards of staying in college (which you may not want to be at in the first place) for four years. Not everyone is bright enough or lucky enough to be Tim Duncan. The money will not "always be there" for a guy who tears his ACL his junior year. That guy would have an extra $10 million in net worth or more had he spent those 3 years playing professionally.

You know what will always be there for a player, provided he hasn't squandered all of that $10 million? College.

Exactly. An exception that made complete sense to me was when Joakim Noah decided to stay another year at Florida. He came from a privileged background so he had the luxury of valuing another attempt at winning a college title along with all of the fun possible from living the college life more than an extra year of earning a salary (along with the risk of injury at Florida).

Who's the short guy between Ewing and Magic? I know everyone else.

Christian Laettner was on the Dream Team (he beat out Shaq!) as the token college player, but something's up with that photo as he's 6'11". If he wasn't pasted in maybe they dug a trench for him to stand in as part of the hazing process.

Quincy was quick on the draw! The highlights of that team were hilarious. The international competition just hadn't been playing the game long enough. A lot of them were simply laughing on the court because they had no hope.

Edited by Noj

Who's the short guy between Ewing and Magic? I know everyone else.

Christian Laettner was on the Dream Team (he beat out Shaq!) as the token college player, but something's up with that photo as he's 6'11". If he wasn't pasted in maybe they dug a trench for him to stand in as part of the hazing process.

If you examine the picture, you can see that they are all standing on a stair step setup. Karl Malone also looks short because of this. :tophat: