Rufus Harley

six string

Yesterday I found a copy of Scotch and Soul by Rufus Harley on Atlantic records at a local shop but I didn't buy it. I don't dislike bagpipes per se but I didn't want to buy the album if it wasn't any good regardless of instrumentation.

Has anyone heard this album and is it worth picking up? I'm willing to bet it never made it to the cd format.

Bagpipes are off limits for me. It's one of the truly annoying sounds the planet has ever produced. I'd rather be locked in a room for a whole day listening to Myron Floren play "Lady of Spain" on a tape loop than have to deal with anything of any duration played on bagpipes.

Not a bad tenor player, either.

Agree on this part.

Perhaps I'm just too (something), but I really tire quickly listening to Western music on non-chromatic instruments. So when Harley's substituting a major scale tone (say a third), when I minor scale tone is in the composed melody, it's cringe and flee time.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but that's what I mean by liking him perhaps more than I should.

I really had no use for him until I heard his tenor playing. Then everything else started making sense in its own way. Its like a sincere/naive hustle, if you know what I mean. I know he knows better, you know he knows better, we both know for damn sure that he knows that he knows better, but he doesn't try to pretend otherwise, and...there it is.

What i really like is his later "spiritual" sides that he did on indie labels. That stuff just works, period.

Edited by JSngry

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I didn't get much help with google and I was pretty sure I'd get better answers here and I did. I'm still not sure whether I want to buy the album or not. There were other lps I left behind that I'd go back and get a lot quicker than Harley's album. Still there's a part of me that's curious about the sound of bag pipes and jazz.

That's some crazy idea.

... Still there's a part of me that's curious about the sound of bag pipes and jazz.

That's some crazy idea.

I think of it this way, I would definitely rather hear bassoon in jazz than bagpipes (particularly by a guy who wasn't really in control of the instrument) and I don't really want to hear bassoon in jazz.

Just saying...

... Still there's a part of me that's curious about the sound of bag pipes and jazz.

That's some crazy idea.

I think of it this way, I would definitely rather hear bassoon in jazz than bagpipes (particularly by a guy who wasn't really in control of the instrument) and I don't really want to hear bassoon in jazz.

Just saying...

I'm with you on the bassoon. Oboe, on the other hand.... I buried my old Pacific Jazz stuff long ago.

am a new fan of the last few years, but the man is obviously very very special, i love his music. i have his debut lp i got for .50c in a plain disco. jacket and i also have the atlantic lp he did that was cut in CSG Stereo :wacko: . also watched that great docu. on him on youtube

Edited by chewy