New York Times Website

I saw that. Looks like want to force you to make a choice. Either opt in to their pay for play plan or dump the online paper altogether. While I will miss the comprehensiveness of what the Times has to offer, I can get what I need elsewhere. The real question is what's behind this. It could have been their plan all along to reduce the number of freebies or it could indicate that they've not done as well as they'd hoped in terms attracting paying customers. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the latter.

FWIW...

It has been my experience [since in my biz, I have to do a lot of research regarding current events] most on line newspapers just want you to give them your e-mail and name in order to access all articles. The LA Times, SF Chronicle, Christian Science Monitor [a surprisingly unbiased news source], AP News Services as well as my local fish wrap Sacramento/Modesto/Fresno Bee all do this to some degree or another.

If you want to copy an article or photo, you pay.

TBH, this is the first on line newspaper I have heard of asking you to pay beyond a certain number of articles.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I believe if you get to articles via certain external links it's not tracked in your count.

Yep. If you have a Twitter account, follow NYTimes. They tweet prolifically, and include links to many of the articles on the website. If you access the site via a Twitter link (and I believe Facebook and a couple of other major social media sites as well), it doesn't count toward the monthly limit. I've had the NYTimes app since the day I got my iPhone, and their Twitter feed is good enough that even before they put up the paywall I don't think I ever opened the app after I started following them on Twitter.

TBH, this is the first on line newspaper I have heard of asking you to pay beyond a certain number of articles.

I believe Wall Street Journal has been subscription-only since they went online.

Much more regional example - Chicago Sun-Times is about 20 per month. I found I don't really miss going there, though I used to read many of the articles. Their loss I guess. I don't know whether Robert Ebert's reviews count toward the 20 or not. It probably depends on how you try to access them.

Isn't circumventing the paywall kind of like illegally downloading music? Hey, just asking.

I'd say if the link route works, then the user is doing nothing shady. Maybe the cookie issue is a gray area, but if a site really wanted to control that I assume they could have a database with view count and only serve articles with a registered login.

I believe Wall Street Journal has been subscription-only since they went online.

Much more regional example - Chicago Sun-Times is about 20 per month. I found I don't really miss going there, though I used to read many of the articles. Their loss I guess. I don't know whether Robert Ebert's reviews count toward the 20 or not. It probably depends on how you try to access them.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/ is free, Andrew Patner is also free at http://viewfromhere.typepad.com/ and the rest of the Sun-Times isn't. Too bad, we're missing some good reporting.