Geoff's Guide to Undervalued Jazz Albums

Geoff

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not kidding, Hans! Not only is Geoff recycling posts from other sites, but he actually apparently borrowed the whole idea from an earlier post on the same forum:

People's Guide to Undervalued Jazz (and not only albums)

But maybe the I Hate Music forum has cool guys to hang with. The author of that original thread is ... "cunnilingus" :blink::tup

No, look at the dates--the Cunnilingus thread (what a dickhead the guy is for picking that username) is inspired by, not the inspiration of, Geoff's thread on that board.

The copious reposting of reviews is probably just naivete--it's a bit over-the-top & a little grey-areaish, but I wasn't aware it was actually against netiquette? Who's it harming since virtually no-one here was reading posts on the other board anyway till I posted the link?

Well, its true I didn't look at the start date, I just considered the fact that one was on the first page and the second one on the second page and assumed it was "older".

As for "netiquette" I don't think it matters, I'm just saying that Geoff hasn't favored us with new stuff, he's just giving us reprints.

We want NEW reviews!!!

Geoff, you can start with the board owner's disc, Waiting For the Boogaloo Sisters!

I think it's pretty sad that, after these links were posted here, there are first posts by new members on each board harassing Geoff.

If it is someone from here you really need to get a life. He is 19 years old and enthuiastic about jazz, is that a crime these days? I'm fairly certain I couldn't have been as articulate about these discs as he has been when I was his age. IMO the more people who want to praise Herbie Nichols and Wal Waldron rather than Brittney Spears or Limp Bizshit the better.

"As for "netiquette" I don't think it matters, I'm just saying that Geoff hasn't favored us with new stuff, he's just giving us reprints."

Why do you even care? I said it before, if you don't like his way of writing or the subjects he writes about or are so knowledgable about jazz that you have nothing to learn from the reviews he writes then don't read his posts. Not everyone has been listening to this music for decades. Obviously Geoff is really excited about this music and this is a great thing! Rather than bitch and moan how about recommending another disc for him to check out (the Organissimo disc is a great suggestion, if copies are still available) or post your own review of another "unheralded" album for people to explore?

I think it's pretty sad that, after these links were posted here, there are first posts by new members on each board harassing Geoff.

Jeez, that's ugly & petty. My apologies, Geoff, for inadvertently touching off one of those by posting the link. I'd not posted it out of malice.

That said, I think the threads were probably asking for trouble with their titles, which come across as overweening & as obvious ploys for attention. Enthusiasm is one thing, but setting up shop as a tastemaker & connoisseur with his own soapbox is quite another. But I'd assumed this was simply due to the forgiveable rhetorical tone-deafness of someone still learning to write & who is genuinely enthusiastic about encountering this music for the first time.

Oh, did he say something about Monk's attire & onstage dancing? If so, I think I missed that, & can't be bothered to hunt through the three threads in question to find out.

Jeez, that's ugly & petty. My apologies, Geoff, for inadvertently touching off one of those by posting the link. I'd not posted it out of malice.

That said, I think the threads were probably asking for trouble with their titles, which come across as overweening & as obvious ploys for attention. Enthusiasm is one thing, but setting up shop as a tastemaker & connoisseur with his own soapbox is quite another. But I'd assumed this was simply due to the forgiveable rhetorical tone-deafness of someone still learning to write & who is genuinely enthusiastic about encountering this music for the first time.

Oh, did he say something about Monk's attire & onstage dancing? If so, I think I missed that, & can't be bothered to hunt through the three threads in question to find out.

Couldn't agree more.

anyway, I don't credit my writing at all.

And I agree some of the things I have said a ridicilious!

Only such an ignorant 19 year old would ever write something so silly!

Not many people from this forum post at I Hate Music, hence the duplication.

Like I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, I don't think I'm a great reviewer, in fact looking back it was pretty bad idea to post this subject (in the way it is) in the first place.

I hope you can forgive me, and my stupid ideas and silly threads which a far too one dimensional.

Remember I've only had a few years in the game, since I only became really interested in music when I was 14. Some of you have been listening to music for as long as I've lived!

So Again,

I apologise. Please don't take anything I write to seriously.

I'm more prone to mistakes than anyone! I'm just a little ambitious, and perhaps too ambitious!

Sorry,

Geoff.

anyway, please forgive.

Like I'm never going to post a thread like this again.

I didn't know that it could be taken as me being arrogant and perhaps a little over the top.

But now I can see it, so I won't post anything like this again.

I just hope you can forgive me and stuff.

and please don't just post mean things on other forums.

Many of these forums people don't know much about jazz at all.

I just want to share my passion for the music that is all.

I'm sorry again.

I wish probably to close this thread, and maybe get it deleted.

It was my error and bad judgement.

anyway here was the list off albums I was thinking of reviewing.

Krzysztof Komeda – Astigmatic

Mal Waldron – The Quest

Charles Mingus – East Coasting

Bobby Hutcherson – Dialogue

Herbie Nichols – The Complete Blute Note Recordings

Roy Brooks – The Free Slave

Grachan Moncur III – Some Other Stuff/Evolution

Elmo Hope – Homecoming

Curtis Fuller – Volume 3

Sam Rivers – Fushia Swing Song

Jackie Mclean – New and Old Gospel

Lee Morgan – The Cooker

Leroy Jenkins - Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival Of America

George Lewis - The Solo Trombone Record

Bill Evans/Jim Hall - Undercurrent

Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy – Live At Dreher Paris 1981, The Peak Volume 2.

Elmo Hope - All Star Sessions

Roswell Rudd – Regeneration

Eric Dolphy – Last Date

Myra Melford – Alive in the House of Saints

Dollar Brand – African Piano

Big John Patton – Let ‘Em Roll

Jaki Byard – Maybeck Recital Hall Series, Volume 17

Pete LaRoca – Basra

Again, I stress that I would like to apologise for my actions, and I hope in the future we can get along fine.

Hi Geoff,

There's no need to apologize so extensively, at least not in my opinion.

I fully agree with Nate Dorward's post. Your threads / reviews, or at least their titles tend to have an overweening and "know-all" character. If they'd lose those aspects, i.e. if you'd get off your soapbox, you'd probably get a far more positive response. :)

Keep spreading the word. The music needs young, enthusiastic fans just as it needs young, enthusiastic players. If you're getting new people into the music who are capable of treating it seriously, you're doing a good thing.

Please remember, every mistake made is an opportunity to learn a lesson. If you play your cards right, you can learn a lot by screwing up a lot. So go for it, and always be humble, but never be timid.

I must have been playing my cards wrongly then, 'cause I screw up ALL the time and haven't learned a bit. Oh well, as long as there's fun... :g

which reminds me: besides the humble and timid blahblah, never hide your enthousiasm. This place may be full of it, but the world has far too little of it.

Geoff--those are all fine albums: rather than creating a thread specifically devoted to your tastes, simply post individual threads for each album. I think much of the skepticism was prompted by the word "neglected" in the thread title, also--though none of the albums you name is as famous as, say, Kind of Blue, Mingus at Antibes or Live at the Village Vanguard, they're virtually all albums much cherished among serious jazz fans. I'm sure that many of the members here would be delighted to talk about them, but maybe on an album-by-album basis. I really don't understand the problem with multiple posting in a variety of forums, though it might be a good idea to include a mention that you've posted it elsewhere too (just something like "Here's a review I've been working on lately; I've posted it on another board too but I thought people here would enjoy reading it also."). It's always worth mooting an album like Komeda's Astigmatic--despite its legendary reputation (& a crown in the Cook/Morton Penguin Guide) I wonder how many jazz fans have heard it still. (For that matter, how many people have heard Jan Allan's remarkable 70, another Penguin Guide enthusiasm?)

Though if you feel it's genuinely embarrassing to have the thread kicking around, I'm sure you can try asking one of the moderators to remove it, I'd strongly suggest leaving it to stay, especially since there are many posts by others on the thread, including some quite useful ones (e.g. Jim Sangrey's comments on Moncur).

Edited by Nate Dorward

Go for it Geoff. You seem articulate, opinionated, and well-reasoned, all fine w/ me and many us I suspect. In fact, how about checking out and possibly writing up my favorite trio record and an under-valued treasure, by the great Jaki Byard: Sunshine of My Soul. btw - for those of you who are skilled and driven-enough to listen to, research, and write-up old jazz and rock, and the personalities involved, Mojo wants to hear from you. You might be surprised at the motley of authoring there month to month.

• 1 year later...