Dave Holland Big Band

Alec

I haven't personally heard Dave's big-band perform live, but I know a couple people who have - and the reviews they gave me were slightly "mixed". "Very good" – to be sure - but not quite up there with his usual quintet performances since about the time Chris Potter joined the band.

I own the (first) Holland Big Band disc, and while I did think it was a very good album -- I did find it to be a little less "WOW!!!!" than I was expecting -- based on the steller quality of his three prior quintet albums. I would have given the disc a solid "A-" if it were by any other group (covering Dave Holland tunes in a big-band context), but since it was an actual Dave Holland release (with all the expectations that implies), I would have to give it a "B" or "B+" (some cuts work better for me than others). Great concept, good execution, and "deep" – but not quite as "really DEEP" as it could have maybe been. (Again, expectations were sky-high for me, which may not have been fair.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah, Billy Kilson was a *big* part of the performance when I caught the big band in Orange County about a year ago. The concert was presented in an acoustically nightmarish hall, but I had a good time nevertheless given the strength of the soloists and general tightness of the group.

My biggest frustration was not being able to hear Mark Turner, sitting in for Potter.

And as I recall there was a bit of "stiffness" that I've never noticed with Dave's quintet.

• 2 weeks later...

Claypone -

were you at the show last night? We had a great time. I thought the DHBB was fantastic! Nate Smith fit in very well, given the short amount of time he has been with the band. Dave hung around and did a short Q & A after the show, which was nice. I also had a chance to say hello to Robin, who was a great guy to talk with. I would highly recommend catching the BB if you have the chance. I think they have progressed quite a bit since they recorded their album.

Dave also mentioned that a new BB album is due to be released later on this year.

I sure was at the show! Sorry I wasn't thinking ahead or I would have said let meet for a drink before or after the show.

I agree that Nate Smith did a great job. I'm looking forward to their new CD. (Jazzmataz has it listed for the summer). The hall as nice acoustics, and for me, it is easy to get to (a whopping 12 min drive).

Let me know the next time you're up for a show. My wife and I are going the the Barbary Coast concert on Feb. 14th (Barbary Coast is the student jazz group)

I sure was at the show! Sorry I wasn't thinking ahead or I would have said let meet for a drink before or after the show.

I agree that Nate Smith did a great job. I'm looking forward to their new CD. (Jazzmataz has it listed for the summer). The hall as nice acoustics, and for me, it is easy to get to (a whopping 12 min drive).

Let me know the next time you're up for a show. My wife and I are going the the Barbary Coast concert on Feb. 14th (Barbary Coast is the student jazz group)

It took us closer to an hour to get there but it was definitely worth it! I'll keep my eye out for shows in the area and let you know if we come down again.

• 1 year later...

Anyone in Oregon going to see the Dave Holland Big Band tonight? I had planned to go, but it's my mom's birthday today — Thai food with the fam instead.

Did pick up a ticket for the May show of Ellery Eskelin in duo with pianist Sylvie Courvoisier (whom I've never heard of). Should be interesting.