Non-jazz artists you're finally catching on to

Pete C

Yes Mr. Keith, that's a great reissue of the first two "lps". . . . I have the Elvis "Fifties" RCA box set, but this reissue sounds so much better. I've also been listening to the Sun material. I like some of the recordings of the 'sixties and 'seventies, but the 'fifties Elvis is a period I really enjoy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I mistyped Debussy. Very familiar with Ravel. Was familiar with Debussy as well, but his work has really clicked with me lately.

Run, don't walk to your local online retailer and order this DVD:

41YT2i%2BHcRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the past year, I have completely fallen in love with Harry Nilsson.

I don't love his music, but have you seen the wonderful documentary about him?

I was amazed to learn that his two biggest hits were not his own songs: Everybody's Talkin' (Fred Neil), Without You (Badfinger).

I also really enjoy listening to an album called Piano Music of Philip Glass by Aleck Karis.

Probably better than this guy's versions:

1971-Topps-Alex-Karras.jpg

Not remotely jazz - Swedish folk music - but I'd imagine some jazz listeners would be taken by their freewheeling ways with melody and rhythm.

This is a beautiful album:

51Mq%2BXHwo8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was in Stockholm for a weekend some years ago and I did see Swedish folk music at a jazz club: Frifot at Fasching.

Troll!

Sorry, I mistyped Debussy. Very familiar with Ravel. Was familiar with Debussy as well, but his work has really clicked with me lately.

Run, don't walk to your local online retailer and order this DVD:

41YT2i%2BHcRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't love his music, but have you seen the wonderful documentary about him?

I was amazed to learn that his two biggest hits were not his own songs: Everybody's Talkin' (Fred Neil), Without You (Badfinger).

I also really enjoy listening to an album called Piano Music of Philip Glass by Aleck Karis.

Probably better than this guy's versions:

1971-Topps-Alex-Karras.jpg

Yes! Great documentary. We ought to start a series of musician trading cards.

I just asked my daughter what sport she thought he played. She answered vibraphone. Musician trading cards it is.

The subject of this thread and mention of Teddy Pendergrass reminded me that I have only recently really started listening to Beres Hammond. He can evoke Pendergrass as well as anyone, and Marvin Gaye as well, but also has his own Unique thing going - a great classic R&B/soul singer packaged as a reggae artist.

Sam Amidon is an artist i find very interesting. and definitely "non-jazz." when i was doing review writing his cds were sent to me but i didn't have time to write them up. too bad 'cuz they probably woulda yielded some decent ideas. i love a lot of his music and think his "concept" is often surprising, creative, original and subtly beautiful. the songs below are good examples of ones i feel this way about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR1P6BIwOjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOQ0OKqdlE

and yeah, i'm aware that some on this bard may find the versions of those tunes distasteful. i don't care. i think they're genius.

Edited by thedwork

I'm guessing you've heard Nilsson's "The Point"? If not, I think it's a great record. I grew up listening to the LP (along with Bill Cosby's "To Russell My Brother Whom I Slept With"). The animated film that accompanies it is also fine — narrated by Ringo Starr (after Dustin Hoffman recorded/narrated the whole thing, but whose contribution wasn't used).

Some non-jazz artists I've been paying attention to, and really loving:

• Patsy Cline

• Ernest Tubb

• Otto Klemperer (conducting Mahler; great new French EMI set available)

• Water Gieseking (playing Mendelssohn and Grieg, but not the awful U.S. EMI References set)

• Long John Hunter

• Little Bob & The Lollipops

• Markos Vamvakaris (the 1932-37 JSP set)

Ernest Hogan. Important composer and showman.

Very complicated person I expect (just going by Abbott/Seroff). The fact he was so successfully litigious over his civil rights came as a surprise to me. The imagery around him is such that I am inclined to hide it from view if I'm reading about him at work.. can you recommend any other books?

I'm guessing you've heard Nilsson's "The Point"? If not, I think it's a great record. I grew up listening to the LP (along with Bill Cosby's "To Russell My Brother Whom I Slept With"). The animated film that accompanies it is also fine — narrated by Ringo Starr (after Dustin Hoffman recorded/narrated the whole thing, but whose contribution wasn't used).

Some non-jazz artists I've been paying attention to, and really loving:

• Patsy Cline

• Ernest Tubb

• Otto Klemperer (conducting Mahler; great new French EMI set available)

• Water Gieseking (playing Mendelssohn and Grieg, but not the awful U.S. EMI References set)

• Long John Hunter

• Little Bob & The Lollipops

• Markos Vamvakaris (the 1932-37 JSP set)

Yes! I love The Point. "Me And My Arrow" especially. I love that you grew up with this! Harry narrates the record. I've only seem clips of the film.

on Ernest Hogan, there is very little. Most interesting is his dance music, which compares to the way Jelly Roll Morton describes and plays Tiger Rag as an early quadrille and as a piece of jazz pre-history; also, his major hit (All Coons Look Alike to Me) has the classic chord progression which is related to Sister Kate/Muskrat Ramble, and which is really rhe quintessesntial early ragtime, pre-blues scheme. There is one other book with excellent discussion of him - Tom Fletcher - 100 years of the Negro in Show Business. Very difficult to find.

Edited by AllenLowe

I've only seem clips of the film.

The film is definitely worth Netflix-ing, etc. Ringo's narration is (yes) charming. The (sometimes improvised?) script, from an animated feature point of view, also makes excellent use of interruption during dialogue — something you almost never hear in animated features. Characters commonly don't finish their sentences because others are persistently butting in. It's not an emphasis of the film, but it's there (and not in the soundtrack). Also, you get to quote The Count (a la Saturday Night Live quotes) over and over after you've watched it:

The Count: "I groomed you. Oooh how I groomed you! I cultivated you like a rare flower!"

^_^