Mispronunciations that annoy you

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urine-us for Uranus is the most annoying. Somehow late night comedians concluded the correct pronunciation, yer-A-nus, is hilarious and some TV people have been calling it Urine-us ever since.

I was about to post the same info in a more clumsy way.

Using a different fluid?

OK.

Here's one that REALLY bugs me: Al Michaels has made a career out of mispronouncing the simple word "ball".

For some bizarre reason, he insists upon saying "BOO-all". As in: San Francisco has the BOO-all on the 15 yard line.

Al, Dude...the word is "ball"; B-A-L-L. Ball. Say Ball. It's not that complicated, big guy.

For some bizarre reason, he insists upon saying "BOO-all". As in: San Francisco has the BOO-all on the 15 yard line.

I am not a fan of Al Michaels for other reasons, but perhaps the reason he insists upon it is that he grew up in Brooklyn and that is how people who grew up in Brooklyn talk?

I am not a fan of Al Michaels for other reasons, but perhaps the reason he insists upon it is that he grew up in Brooklyn and that is how people who grew up in Brooklyn talk?

Yes, in fact maybe he's not "insisting" on anything. Some of the origins of the Brooklyn accent seem apparent when my Russian friend Igor talks about his dawta. I have trouble with people who say "bahl" when it's obviously supposed to be pronounced "bawl."