Mispronunciations that annoy you

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I went to look up enervated in the dictionary and I'm stunned!!

Intregal, instead of integral. Now that's not a local variation, that's just people can't read and make the letters into words.

MG

same with 'eck-cetera'

That sounds like the British pronunciation. How is it said in the U.S. generally?

I don't know! But my friend from the state of Organ says call-a-flower, as in "My liar is eating call-a-flower."

I am just glad it's ok to pronounce February without the r after the b, or Connecticut without the c after the e!

My friend from Vancouver says Wed-nes-day, and the day before it is Chewsday. I don't know if that's the common Canadian pronunciation.

I'm always annoyed when I hear grocery (which I pronounce "grosserie") pronounced "groshrey."

My pet peeve is the mispronunciation of the word forte.

Forte in French means strength and is pronounced "fort".

Better still: It is even WRITTEN "fort" (and is proncounced "for"). :crazy:

As long as you are referring to a MALE person, of course. ;)

"forte" as a word all by itself in French only exists in the sense of a MUSICAL "forte" (i.e. loudness too)

As for your pronunciation, never mind if it is "for-tay" or "for-tee", but if somebody would like to point out, for example, that "spelling is not my strong point", do you actually expect him to state something that sounds like "spelling is not my fortified 19th century Far West soldier outpost"? :crazy:

C'mon ... ;)

No, seriously, except in certain female variants of the word that means "strong" in all shadings (including a strong = loud voice) the French language has no such "forte" as you imply.

I don't know about French, but my dictionary - Merriam-Webster's Collegiate - gives the first pronunciation of forte as fort. It says that for-tay is also used. My wife corrected me some years ago when I said for-tay, and I've said fort ever since. I sometimes get the feeling that people think it's pretentious or just plain wrong, but I don't care.

Here's a common one - Febuary.

I like the commercial narrators who try to spiff up their products by pronouncing luxurious with a "g" sound. This is especially prevalent in automotive advertising.

Speaking of cars, ejp626 mentioned Jaguar. How anyone can coax Jag-wire out of that is beyond me.

My S.O. pronounces sherbet with an extra "r' at the end like "Herbert". That never fails to draw a comment from me. I suppose that could be why she does it.

Strangely, a lot of people seem to have a hard time pronouncing my first name. Instead of "Hey, Jeff," many folks pronounce it "Hey, asshole!"

(I axed asked my wife if it would be okay to post this joke - she said to go ahead. If you're offended, blame her.)

Seems that most peeves are about American vs British pronunciation.

A few that come to mind as annoying are-

Aye-rack for Iraq

aluminum for aluminium

lab-rat-ry for laboratory.

My all time favourite mispronunciation is Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinnie with his classic courtroom utterance of 'Yoots' for youths

If I may stray from the topic, the American usage of bring vs take is illogical and puzzling.

Let's not mention 'bathroom' either. 'He went to the bathroom on the lawn' cracks me up. :D

Sometimes my boss mispronounces 'you' as 'I' or 'we'... as in: "We need to get such-and-such done" or more usually "I need to action such-and-such" before getting me to do it :shrug[1]:

That's so ironic, since my boss wants me to use "we" a lot more than "I" even though it is nearly always "I" that does the work. Maybe we should switch bosses. :smirk:

... but mine is very much Saafend-On-Sea if I'm not careful...

I understand that's the way they talk "oop narf"? ;) Or ithis in fact how the Northerners are referred to by the Southerners?

re. East Yorkshire - that 'err' sound I had trouble with as a student in Hull, phoning directory enquiries the lady was telling me the number - 'err.. err' until she got annoyed with my confusion and said firmly "ZE-RERR" (0)

Funny about that "err". Isn't that a supposed to be typical for a certain kind of U.S. English spoken as among the "hicks in the sticks"?

Browsed through that reprint of Fontaine Fox's Toonerville Trolley cartoons the other day, and his collection of hinterland town characters such as "Uncle Chew Wilson" who likes to spit his "TERBACCER JUICE" all the time :cool: (and "termorrer" is another day, of course ;) must have been the result of some keen observation ...

... but mine is very much Saafend-On-Sea if I'm not careful...

I understand that's the way they talk "oop narf"? ;) Or ithis in fact how the Northerners are referred to by the Southerners?

I guess it's the latter. "f" in place of "th" is typical of Cockney (London speech), as in "yoof" or "fink" (= "youth", "think"). "oop" though is how "up" sounds with a northern accent.

yes - and the 'err' that I mentioned for East Yorkshire isn't a hesitation - it's how they say the letter O (but without pronouncing the 'r's as Bill mentioned before) - so in a telephone number 'err err' is zero zero (assuming everybody else also says O in place of 0?)

My worst crime in pronunciation, and one I had to iron out when I moved up north was dropping of the 'l' at the end of a word. So I would say something like 'ge-ow' for 'girl'. Living in Hull I was saying 'u-ow' for 'Hull' so had to adapt. Dropping the H is common in Essex and round here - but much more pronounced here, I see all the time people even writing words without the H - like 'as' for 'has'

'Saafend-on-sea' is the Essex/London way of saying it - a flat drawn out 'aaa' sound instead of an 'ow' sound

First time I encountered a proper North-East accent - a lad from Consett - I thought it was Dutch or German!

Edited by cih

Yes, the london final 'l' is very distinctive, as in Diamond Li(l).

It only remains to mention the London sound for the vowel in "train" or "rain", which becomes something like "tryne" or "ryne".

Can't leave vowels without mentioning New Zealand and Northern Ireland.

I saw a New Zealand film in which the geeky teenage boy asks the geeky teenage girl, "Do you want six?" (= invitation to have sex) :lol:

The one that fascinates me about Northern Ireland is the "ow" vowel, as in "now". It comes out as "noi".