George Wallington, "Variations" (Verve)

Bol

I've been listening to a lot of George Wallington lately. It seems most of his 1950's sessions are available on CD except for this Verve recording, which is partly a piano trio session and partly a strings session. Am wondering whether I should try to find a vinyl copy, which doesn't appear very common and maybe hard to track down. For those of you who have/know it, how is it? Thanks in advance.

Looks as if the Verve lp combined two Norgran 10"s, one trio, one with strings. I haven't heard them but the tracks from the trio Norgran were incorporated into a two cd set from Fresh Sounds in 2010:

The Fresh Sound:515-VkCdPWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Norgran:

post-83-0-97660300-1340052199_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I've been listening to a lot of George Wallington lately. It seems most of his 1950's sessions are available on CD except for this Verve recording, which is partly a piano trio session and partly a strings session. Am wondering whether I should try to find a vinyl copy, which doesn't appear very common and maybe hard to track down. For those of you who have/know it, how is it? Thanks in advance.

Am just listening to it right now (via a CD-R - as it is relatively hard to find indeed - so I cannot give you a pointer as to an accessible CD source ;)). I consider myself a fan (sort of ...) of those white 1st generation bop pianists (Wallington, Marmarosa, Haig etc) and while I have almost all 40s/50s Wallington recordings I find this fairly non-essential. It is a nice record to study for those who are very much into pianistics and you cannot say it's saccharine but yet it appears fairly subdued to me ... about 9 or 10 of the 12 tracks (all featuring strings) are rather balladesque. OTOH I've never been a huge fan of string backgrunds in bop.

In short, it all depends on whether you value piano chops above all and on the degree to which you are willing to listen to not very jazzy string backgrounds.

Thanks folks -- for many pointers. Maybe I should look into those more recent recordings.

And thanks, Lon, for the Fresh Sound recommendation. But that one seems to have only the piano trio session, and not the strings session. (Hope you are doing well in Austin, which I miss very much!)

I guess I will pick this up if an opportunity presents itself. I did see a copy in an Austin used record store once, but I passed on it because it was pretty scratched up.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this story here - but Al Haig spent a lot of time around 37th street (or somewhere around there) where he walked the dog for his former landlady. Wallington lived on the same street. Al told me, maybe in 1978, "hey I saw George Wallington the other day, he walked right by me." I was in awe of this encounter - think of it, two of the great mysterious piano-playing figures of the bebop era, running into each other.

I asked, "what did you talk about?"

"He said, 'hi Al.' I said, "hello George."

That was it.

ahh, real life....

Edited by AllenLowe

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this story here - but Al Haig spent a lot of time around 37th street (or somewhere around there) where he walked the dog for his former landlady. Wallington lived on the same street. Al told me, maybe in 1978, "hey I saw George Wallington the other day, he walked right by me." I was in awe of this encounter - think of it, two of the great mysterious piano-playing figures of the bebop era, running into each other.

I asked, "what did you talk about?"

"He said, 'hi Al.' I said, "hello George."

That was it.

ahh, real life....

I've read something similar in a James Joyce biography once. Some Parisian hostess invited Joyce and Proust to dinner. Both came, to everyone's surprise in Proust's case. The hostess sat them down next to each other thinking that a great conversation would ensue, and everyone else would just bask in the resulting delight. But the only exchange occurred when Joyce turned to Proust mid-dinner, and asked "Do you like bon bons?" and Proust replied "No."

God knows whether it is true, but it should be true.

I have the Verve Variations

wallin_geor_variation_101b.jpg

A very good album with spare and intelligent use of strings.

The back cover of the LP lists 12 tunes but the album has 13 tracks ('Autumn in New York' is not listed but is included!).

It includes the rarely recorded tune 'Marcel the Furrier' written by Henri Renaud for fan/critic Marcel Fleiss.

Complete info from Mike Fitzgerald's Jazz Discography website:

Date: June 10, 1954

Label: Verve

George Wallington (ldr), George Wallington (p), Curly Russell (b), Arthur Taylor (d)

a. 1764-1 Before Dawn (George Wallington)

Verve LP 12": MGV 2017 — Variations (1957)

b. 1765 A Night In Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli)

c. 1766-3 If I Love Again (Jack Murray, Ben Oakland)

d. 1767-2 Your Laughter

e. 1768-2 Thoroughbred (George Wallington)

Verve LP 12": MGV 2032 — Potpourri Of Jazz

f. 1769-1 Without Reservation

Verve LP 12": MGV 2032 — Potpourri Of Jazz

g. 1770-1 Morning Dew (George Wallington, Mack David)

h. 1771-7 Busman's Holiday

All titles on: Norgran LP 10": MG N 24 — The Workshop Of The George Wallington Trio

PolyGram LP 12": POJJ 1522 — The Workshop Of The George Wallington Trio

Verve LP 12": MV 2539 — The Workshop Of The George Wallington Trio

Date: October 22, 1954

Label: Verve

George Wallington (ldr), George Wallington (p), Clyde Lombardi (b), Joseph Livoti (vn), David Uchitel (vl), William Eder (vc)

a. 1997-3 My Funny Valentine (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

b. 1998-1 Alone Together - 2:38 (Arthur Schwartz, Howard Dietz) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

c. 1999-4 Autumn In New York (Vernon Duke) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

d. 2000-3 Thou Swell (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

e. 2001-3 Invitation (Bronislau Kaper, Paul Francis Webster) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

Norgran EP 7": EP N 69 — George Wallington With Strings

f. 2002-3 Moonlight In Vermont (John Blackburn, Karl Suessdorf) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

g. 2003 Variations [on Polka Dot] (George Wallington) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

h. 2004 Racing (George Wallington) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

i. 2005-4 Marcel The Furrier (Henri Renaud) / arr: Sonny Lawrence

j. 2006-1 Ever Lovin' Blues arr: Sonny Lawrence

k. 2007 Hold Me Close arr: Sonny Lawrence

l. 2008 Morning Dew (George Wallington, Mack David) / arr: George Brackman

All titles on: Norgran LP 12": MGN 1010 — George Wallington With Strings

Edited by EKE BBB