Jazz Cassingles

jeffcrom

For the first time in quite awhile, I pulled down my boxes of cassettes from the closet shelf tonight. I found two items I had forgotten about - cassette singles by jazz artists from 1983. Back in the day, I saw these advertised in the back of Downbeat, thought they looked kind of cool, and ordered two. The label is All Star Jazz, as far as I can tell, and the artists are Red Callender and Bill Perkins. The cassettes have a U card rather than a J card. (I just lost all the younger folks....) The Perkins U card lists the correct personnel; the Callender, not so much. There is no recording date or other recording info on either, and the source of these was a mystery to me for many years.

Now, with easier access to discographical information, I see that the Perkins sides, which include Pepper Adams and Gordon Goodwin, are from the 1978 Interplay album Confluence. The two Callender sides, "Chris" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," were separated by 16 years; "Chris" is from the Crown album Red Callender Speaks Low, and "Saints" is from a mostly-Dixieland album from 1973, on the Legends label. The only things these two tracks have in common is that Buddy Collette is on both of them.

These were a lot of fun to listen to tonight. Does anybody else have any of this series? If not, I must claim that my collection of cassingles is second to none.

Edited by jeffcrom

For the first time in quite awhile, I pulled down my boxes of cassettes from the closet shelf tonight. I found two items I had forgotten about - cassette singles by jazz artists from 1983. Back in the day, I saw these advertised in the back of Downbeat, thought they looked kind of cool, and ordered two. The label is All Star Jazz, as far as I can tell, and the artists are Red Callender and Bill Perkins. The cassettes have a U card rather than a J card. (I just lost all the younger folks....) The Perkins U card lists the correct personnel; the Callender, not so much. There is no recording date or other recording info on either, and the source of these was a mystery to me for many years.

Now, with easier access to discographical information, I see that the Perkins sides, which include Pepper Adams and Gordon Goodwin, are from the 1978 Interplay album Confluence. The two Callender sides, "Chris" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," were separated by 16 years; "Chris" is from the Crown album Red Callender Speaks Low, and "Saints" is from a mostly-Dixieland album from 1973, on the Legends label. The only things these two tracks have in common is that Buddy Collette is on both of them.

These were a lot of fun to listen to tonight. Does anybody else have any of this series? If not, I must claim that my collection of cassingles is second to none.

I recall the series about that time period - I was in college. Also remember Downbeat as the source. Seems I owned one that contained some of the Paul Chambers Vee Jay material - the "Go" album. If memory serves, the titles were "Ease It" and "Awful Mean". Most likely my first exposure to Freddie Hubbard and Cannonball.

Edited by Eric