Funniest Films

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 50s British black and white comedies with Peter Sellers and/or Terry-Thomas.

I guess my favorite is The Wrong Arm of the Law.

That's a great film! - they used to show all those movies on tv on a Sunday afternoon when I was a kid. I like Lionel Jeffries - sometimes I call people 'Soapy Stevens' from that movie.. (they don't take any notice of me)

Million Dollar Legs, with Jack Oakie & W.C. Fields is hilarious and surreal.

Agreed, but my favorite W. C. Fields film is It's a Gift, from 1934. The comedy is almost painful at times, and it takes its time in a way that would never happen these days - the famous porch scene, in which Fields' character is continually frustrated in his efforts to get some sleep, runs for almost ten minutes.

My second-favorite Fields is the 20-minute short The Fatal Glass of Beer, also from 1934. It's the most bizarre thing Fields ever turned out - a parody of melodramas, and of the film-making process itself. In one scene, the Yukon-dwelling main character (played by Fields, of course) goes out into the snow to milk his elk, Lena. He stands in front of an outrageously bad stock-footage projection of a herd of elk, and when of the animals seems to pause and look at him, he asks it, "Elmer, have you seen Lena?" And what other movie dares ask the question, "Would you consider me rude if I played the zither with my mittens on?"

Edited by jeffcrom

Thanks for naming these. "The Fatal Glass of Beer" is certainly a favorite. Another is Laurel & Hardy in "Two Tars," which builds and builds over 20 minutes. They were masters of the slo-o-o-ow reaction, as in the gradual movements on Stan 's face when he realizes he's been hit by a flying tomato. Also, Hal Roach loved anti-anti-anti-climax laughs, as in the gumball scene. The wrecked-car parade and two girls in this movie are priceless. It's on

What was the title of the first St. Trinians movie from the 1950s? Margaret Rutherford, Terry-Thomas, among others, unless my memory is completely messed up.

As much as I love Sellers, for me the Pink Panther films haven't aged well. At the risk of heresy, I don't think time has been so kind to Strangelove either.

When I saw Putney Swope as a stoned teenager I thought it was the funniest thing. I saw it again and it was just an amusing period piece.

Another one I do love is A Fish Called Wanda, especially for Kevin Kline.

Edited by Pete C

I am still partial to 1960s slapstick like Flim-Flam Man and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Just about anything with Peter Sellers.

More recent movies I thought were funny include Groundhog Day and The Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou. The Crimson Permanent Assurance short.

It's amazing how many years Leslie Nielsen spent as a middling dramatic actor until his comic talents were discovered.

Right?

Not an observation I'd have ever made, but right on the money.

I am still partial to 1960s slapstick like Flim-Flam Man and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

The latter was one of the first movies I ever saw in letterbox format on tv.

A really outstanding movie.

It wasn't really slapstick though, was it?

Airplane!

Incredibly funny movie, Noj :g

Speaking of Leslie Nielson...Naked Gun [though OJ is in it] is also hilarious, IMHO.

I'd add:

My Fellow Americans [Jack Lemon, James Garner and Dan Ackryod]

What Women Want [Mrs. GoodSpeak's choice]

Odd Couple

and, again, if you're of a certain age and went through a heavy rock and roll period (whether you're still down or not), this movie was quite a beautiful thing imo:

one hilarious scene after another, w/ the ever underrated and spot-on Joan Cusack giving an excellent and hilarious supporting turn...

I like Jack Black and Tenacious D but thought School of Rock was mostly bad. Just didn't work at all for me on any level other than as an average kid's movie.

Friday (the first one) had one or two hilarious scenes, not sure the rest of the movie was all that great. Might watch it again sometime to see how it holds up.

The Hangover, on the other hand...was doubled over laughing from start to finish. Excellent sense of pacing too.

Rat Race was mostly a pretty silly movie but the Jon Lovitz Hitler scene is one of the funniest sequences I have ever seen.

Edited by Big Wheel