Mosaic's End of July Promotion

Just got an email from Mosaic:

Now through the end of July we are offering members of the Mosaic Records community a discount off selected product offerings. These include twelve Mosaic Box Sets (10% discount), eight Mosaic Selects (10% discount), and fifteen Mosaic Singles (15% discount),

These sale prices are NOT posted on the website. This offer is only valid by entering the code sent to all Mosaic subscribers.

When you add an item to the shopping cart, just type MOSAIC4ME at the top of the shopping cart page. The discount will be automatically applied to you order.

This is ONLY for the Mosaic Box Sets, Mosaic Selects and Mosaic Singles listed below.

Mosaic sets:

Bird Benedetti

Joe Pass

Sarah Vaughan Roulette

Jazz Crusaders

Oliver Nelson

Duke Small Group

Quincy Jones

Lionel Hampton

Benny Goodman

Oscar Peterson

Anthony Braxton

Bing Crosby

Mosaic Selects:

Sidney Bechet

Tony Williams

Cohn, Newman & Green

Boogie Woogie & Blues Piano

Pendulum

Denny Zeitlin

John Handy

Carter/Bradford

Mosaic Singles:

Ellington Cosmic Scene

Bud Freeman

Blakey Hard Bop

Charles Lloyd

Slide Hampton

Lee Wiley

Art Farmer

The Jazz Piano

Ellington Newport 58

JJ & Kai

Ruby Braff

George Wein

Helen Merrill Dick Katz

Helen Merrill Casa Forte

I'm gonna go for the Hamp box and the Art Farmer single.

Ordered the Hamp box (even though I have the RCA box on LP), the Benedetti -- the latter long overdue for me -- and, in a weak moment, the first of the two Helen Merrills. The Braff I didn't like back then (just an uncomfortable date IMO, and I love Ruby; he may have found the Berigan-tribute premise a bit off-putting, and Nat Pierce's neo-Basie comping is a drag at times). Have the Farmer, which is very nice; have the Slide Hampton, which I don't much like (Lateef doubters like Allen Lowe will find their doubts confirmed here); have the Zeitlin, which is great if you care for him; have much of the Cohn,Newman, Greene stuff on various RCA CDs and LPs; have Blakey's "Hard Bop," Duke's "Cosmic Scene"; also have a nice collection of etchings in my attic.

We'll disagree on this thenn mjzee. I think it's Mosaic's business decision to define their community. If they want to limit an offer to people who are previous customers or who have agreed to share xontact information, not offer discounts to everyone, that should be their choice. If I thought they were selling at a loss (loss leaders) it would bother me more.

We'll disagree on this thenn mjzee. I think it's Mosaic's business decision to define their community. If they want to limit an offer to people who are previous customers or who have agreed to share xontact information, not offer discounts to everyone, that should be their choice. If I thought they were selling at a loss (loss leaders) it would bother me more.

If they wanted to limit the offer to previous customers there are any number of ways they could do this without using regular old coupon codes. They could simply ask you to provide some info on the receipt from your last order.

I fail to see why the consumer is obligated to go along with the marketing framing (including restricting information to various channels) of businesses that offer deals. It's an exceptionally strange and customer-hostile view of business ethics. If Mosaic had titled the email "SUPER-SEEKRIT COUPON - DO NOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH THE RABBLE OR YOUR OWN COUPON IS INVALID" then that would be one thing.

Edited by Big Wheel

If they wanted to limit the offer to previous customers there are any number of ways they could do this without using regular old coupon codes. They could simply ask you to provide some info on the receipt from your last order.

I fail to see why the consumer is obligated to go along with the marketing framing (including restricting information to various channels) of businesses that offer deals. It's an exceptionally strange and customer-hostile view of business ethics. If Mosaic had titled the email "SUPER-SEEKRIT COUPON - DO NOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH THE RABBLE OR YOUR OWN COUPON IS INVALID" then that would be one thing.

:lol:

And I can't believe that Mosaic would dislike any additional sales this might provoke. None of these titles are new or last chance, and, though I had been thinking of it for awhile, it's unlikely I would have pulled the trigger on the Hampton box without this impetus. It just makes life a little more interesting during these dog days of July.

is the Vaughn box worth picking up?

I LOVE Sarah Vaughan, and I listen to the set quite often (usually via iPhone tune shuffling)...

I really like the Sarah+2, just great intimate music.

Remastering is top notch. The Sarah Vaughan and Basie session has been improved over the mid-90s Verve release.

With that said, it's a LOT of Sassy!

Upset that I didn't receive this e-mail - then I found it in my spam filter. Oooops. :shrug[1]:

None received at all - that does upset me!

Okay, I've not ordered for a few months, but I've bought 70 or 80 boxes in the past 15 years, and at least a dozen Selects and Singles, each, so I do feel like being part of that community...

Upset that I didn't receive this e-mail - then I found it in my spam filter. Oooops. :shrug[1]:

Okay, I've not ordered for a few months, but I've bought 70 or 80 boxes in the past 15 years, and at least a dozen Selects and Singles, each, so I do feel like being part of that community...

Are you signed up for the regular emails?

Yes, I usually get them (though sometimes I read about them here first and only get them a day or half a day later).

Yes, I usually get them (though sometimes I read about them here first and only get them a day or half a day later).

Maybe your recent turn to classical boxes has offended their mr big? Or did you recently buy any euro pd cd or box...? Or have they discovered that your collection of nessa reissues is - shamefully - incomplete? Beware the wrath of the mighty.

Any advice/input on the Goodman Orchestra Okeh/Columbia set - Is this worth getting?

Have earmarked the Hawkins & upcoming Mingus (got a fantastic tax return this year) plus or minus the BG box - how essential is this

Looking at the Lord Discography most of the sessions in the box have missing titles (all vocals) - some included in other sets (eg Mildred Bailey)

Never been a huge fan of BG though I do have the Mosaic Capitol Small Groups - my particular interest with him is the Wardell Gray connection (have a lot of this material) & Charlie Christian (have the 4CD box plus the JSP live set & the uptown)

Is the big band/Orchestra material on par with say Basie or Ellington? (or is this a chalk & cheese comparison)

Any advice/input on the Goodman Orchestra Okeh/Columbia set - Is this worth getting?

Have earmarked the Hawkins & upcoming Mingus (got a fantastic tax return this year) plus or minus the BG box - how essential is this

Looking at the Lord Discography most of the sessions in the box have missing titles (all vocals) - some included in other sets (eg Mildred Bailey)

Never been a huge fan of BG though I do have the Mosaic Capitol Small Groups - my particular interest with him is the Wardell Gray connection (have a lot of this material) & Charlie Christian (have the 4CD box plus the JSP live set & the uptown)

Is the big band/Orchestra material on par with say Basie or Ellington? (or is this a chalk & cheese comparison)

In my thinkings, there's Basie. And there's Ellington. And there's everyone else. Some of the other are good, and some are Goodman.

There is some excellent music in the Goodman Orchestra set. Still, if you're not really a BGO fan, I'd skip it. Some of the material is available on HEP cds also in very good sound.