BN HD Reissues

brownie

If you happened to be a fan of the jazz organ sound in 1965, you knew exactly what to expect when you stepped into a club - greasy blues, ballads and jazz warhorses played at racecar tempos. Larry Young's Unity changed that. In one elegant stroke. All by itself. Embracing modal harmony and the freer, more open structures/language favored by the rising crew of post-bop musicians, Young expanded commonly held notions of what was possible on the instrument; his brisk, restless, masterfully syncopated performances on this album brought the organ into the modern post-bop conversation.

Brush%20Roy%20Lichtenstein.jpg

I listened to the samples which sound great, but especially since I'll be moving a few months from now $17.98 (even with a coupon) is too much for these when I have the 6 in RVG's/McMaster (Dolphy) and already know all this music. What are people's opinions if they've bought these?

If you happened to be a fan of the jazz organ sound in 1965, you knew exactly what to expect when you stepped into a club - greasy blues, ballads and jazz warhorses played at racecar tempos. Larry Young's Unity changed that. In one elegant stroke. All by itself. Embracing modal harmony and the freer, more open structures/language favored by the rising crew of post-bop musicians, Young expanded commonly held notions of what was possible on the instrument; his brisk, restless, masterfully syncopated performances on this album brought the organ into the modern post-bop conversation.

Is that YOU, Freelancer, or something from the hype on the site?

MG

Granted I'm not a musician so don't have a good grasp of all the technical/theoretical nuances, but where does, say, Jimmy Smith's "J.O.S." fit into the whole "Larry Young single-handedly delivered the instrument into the post-bop scene" line? "JOS" doesn't sound like bop changes on "How High The Moon" or anything like that to me, and I wouldn't describe it as "greasy". And it's from what, 1957 or 1958? And Smith had other instances like that also well before 'Unity' (which, indeed, is a spectacular album).

Granted I'm not a musician so don't have a good grasp of all the technical/theoretical nuances, but where does, say, Jimmy Smith's "J.O.S." fit into the whole "Larry Young single-handedly delivered the instrument into the post-bop scene" line?

An absence of Elvin, that's where, mostly.

That's pretty much what they mean, even if they don't say it, for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, but $17.98 for a 96kHz/24bit album, and a whopping $24.98 for 192kHz/24bit?!?

just plain silly.

This is how the record industry is going to save itself, with 25 dollar downloads!

:rofl: I'm just not sure where they are going with these. I'd much rather see Blue note do what black siant/soul note has done and offer reasonably priced box sets of classic material. they better hurry up and get to it before the european copyright laws make their entire classic catalog fair game and all kinds of european labels start doing it for them. they've already started with shoddy stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/8-Classic-Albums-Hank-Mobley/dp/B005BDZLYQ/ref=pd_sim_m_5. it'd be better for blue note and for fans if blue note does it themselves and gets it right (uses quality masters, nice packaging, etc.).

Edited by sksmith66

Is that YOU, Freelancer, or something from the hype on the site?

MG

It was the usual hype from the site. Larry Young 'changed everything with one elegant stroke' but still ended up dying of medical neglect. That truth wouldn't suit their marketing campaign now would it.

Edited by freelancer