US astronaut Neil Armstrong dies

I usually don't reply to these sort of threads, but holy smokes, this one really hit me. I was raised during the space race years and to me, Armstrong embodied everything great that our country and our planet can be when he walked on the moon.

Years later, when my son was in 2nd grade (10 years ago) his class was asked to write about who they admired most. Most of the kids picked movie stars, music stars like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, presidents present or past. I saw a Thomas Edison and Henry Ford in there too.

My son picked Neil Armstrong.

I don't remember ever having mentioned Armstrong as a personal hero of mine, so I was really impressed by my son's choice. So, I sent a copy of what he wrote about why he admired Armstrong along with the drawing of him walking on the moon that my son did as part of his project to a company for which Mr Armstrong was a board member. Eventually, my letter made its way to Mr Armstrong and he was nice enough to write a thoughtful note to my son - something that he has to this day. I have to say that I was touched, especially after reading that Armstrong was somewhat guarded when it came to signings and letters to Eagle scouts,etc.

Something like that tends to reinforce the admiration I already had.

Sad day.

I usually don't reply to these sort of threads, but holy smokes, this one really hit me. I was raised during the space race years and to me, Armstrong embodied everything great that our country and our planet can be when he walked on the moon.

Years later, when my son was in 2nd grade (10 years ago) his class was asked to write about who they admired most. Most of the kids picked movie stars, music stars like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, presidents present or past. I saw a Thomas Edison and Henry Ford in there too.

I don't remember ever having mentioned Armstrong as a personal hero of mine, so I was really impressed by my son's choice. So, I sent a copy of what he wrote about why he admired Armstrong along with the drawing of him walking on the moon that my son did as part of his project to a company for which Mr Armstrong was a board member. Eventually, my letter made its way to Mr Armstrong and he was nice enough to write a thoughtful note to my son - something that he has to this day. I have to say that I was touched, especially after reading that Armstrong was somewhat guarded when it came to signings and letters to Eagle scouts,etc.

Sad day.

But a cool story Ed.

Later Neil.

Beautiful message from the family of Neil Armstrong: "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Beautiful message from the family of Neil Armstrong: "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

This, yes.

Will be ;) later tonight.

Edited by Blue Train

Sad indeed.

The excitement of that time has never really been recaptured despite lots of wonderful scientific explorations elsewhere. Had a huge impact on culture at the time - film, TV, music, books etc.

Just look through your 60s/early 70s records (if you have any).

R.I.P. Mr Armstrong.

RIP

What music did Neil Armstrong bring with him on that historic voyage?

A cassette of the 1947 outer space theremin album "Music Out of the Moon," with theremin by Dr. Samuel Hoffman, compositions by Harry Revel, and arrangements by a young Leslie Baxter.

RIP Neil.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Sad day.

Thanks for the story, Ed. RIP Neil.