Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The scripts were written by John Broome, the same guy who wrote the Flash stories.  After a while, I became tired of the sameness.  A lot of invasions of monsters from outer space, many of which looked like The Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Good artwork, though.

718xpj-BESL._SL1200_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Raymond Chandler was a friend of Erle Stanley Gardner's.  A year ago, I read a collection of Chandler's correspondence.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TSROHM/

In one letter, he said that he had just finished a story by some new guy named A.A. Fair.  He said that he enjoyed the book, but that Fair's writing was a complete ripoff of Gardner's style and plot devices!

51D+2ooDrVL.jpg

20 hours ago, rostasi said:

It took about three long years after its intro during a Kickstarter setup,
but the clock has finally arrived and it looks beautiful (I have the large version).

Author Clock

032801.jpg

032802.jpg

That does look tasty.  Did you ever see the film version equivalent (Marclay's The Clock)?  I think this was at MoMA and San Francisco MoMA and probably a few other museums. https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1308

I finished Shteyngart's Absurdistan and am just starting Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time.

70509.jpg

I actually did seek out an older copy with the Edward Gorey cover, though it's certainly not one of his best covers...

A-HERO-OF-OUR-TIME-cover-640.jpeg

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Did you ever see the film version equivalent (Marclay's The Clock)?

Yeah, I thought of that work too when the initial idea for this came up.
Just like this clock, it's fun to dip into at various times
if you get to see the installation.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:16 AM, ejp626 said:

A-HERO-OF-OUR-TIME-cover-640.jpeg

Amazing book. 

IMG_1394-L.jpg

This is a reimagining of the Huckleberry Finn story as told by Jim the slave, but with significant differences. It’s a terrifically good book. To those who are not all that familiar with how enslaved people were treated this will be an eye opener. 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Amazing book. 

IMG_1394-L.jpg

This is a reimagining of the Huckleberry Finn story as told by Jim the slave, but with significant differences. It’s a terrifically good book. To those who are not all that familiar with how enslaved people were treated this will be an eye opener. 

That's been getting a lot of coverage here in the UK too. Some interesting interviews with Everett. Definitely on my 'to read' list