• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

shadow-of-the-wind-605.jpg

Great book.

The Penguin edition includes a map for a walking tour of Barcelona which takes you to various places mentioned in the book. Unfortunately I read the book shortly after returning from Barcelona this past Spring. I wish I'd read it before we went-- ot=r better yet while we were there.

I think it's a good reason to visit Bercelona again.

shadow was an excellent read!

i am half-way through anita o'day's biography "high times, hard times" - enjoyable and informative!

Reading a book I've been interested in for a long time: Siegfried Sassoon: The Memoirs of George Sherston. Really a fascinating read, a whole world that has just disappeared forever. Still on Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man, Sassoon writing of his country life, WW I hasn't even started yet. For some reason, I was caught off-guard by the style of writing, it's very good in its descriptive character, and it'll be interesting to read how he handles the war. I lucked out at a used bookstore and bought a 1937 edition for $8.00. Highly recommended. I'll have to reread Fussell's chapter on Sassoon in The Great War and Modern Memory after finishing the book.

Edited by Matthew

I thought I was thte only reader of jazzbeat. Anybody else out there----?

Yep - but I've only got one edition from 2006, after N.O was affected by the hurricane. Still waiting for the other quarterly issues. :mellow:

Been reading lots of komic books - mostly reprints of strips from the early/earlier 20th century (Krazy & Ignatz, Dream of the Rarebit Fiend, Popeye etc).

Anybody picked up Spy: the Funny Years yet? I was quite a fan, back in the day.

I was a fan too (up until about 1991 or '92 that is.)

When I first heard about this, I was hoping for an anthology of the choicest bits from the magazine's best years. According to the reviews I've seen, while it does reprint some old stuff, much of the book is taken up with "behind the scenes" memoirs of the magazine in those days. Before I take the plunge I'll have to give it a look the next time I hit a bookstore.

Anybody picked up Spy: the Funny Years yet? I was quite a fan, back in the day.

I was a fan too (up until about 1991 or '92 that is.)

When I first heard about this, I was hoping for an anthology of the choicest bits from the magazine's best years. According to the reviews I've seen, while it does reprint some old stuff, much of the book is taken up with "behind the scenes" memoirs of the magazine in those days. Before I take the plunge I'll have to give it a look the next time I hit a bookstore.

Same here.

• 2 weeks later...

JAZZBO- JUST A NOTE ON MCKINLEY. Your recent post on the McKinley bio reminded me of something. If you ever visit the Antietam battlefield you'll finf that the largest monument on the field is about McKinley. Ir's an obelisk with bas relief sculptures showing McKinly in action during the battle. On one sculpture we find a row of union soldiers hunkered down behind a wall taking aim at the enemy. It also shows McKinley, who was a mess sargeant at the time STANDING next to them pouring coffee for them out of a coffee pot. <_<

JAZZBO- JUST A NOTE ON MCKINLEY. Your recent post on the McKinley bio reminded me of something. If you ever visit the Antietam battlefield you'll finf that the largest monument on the field is about McKinley. Ir's an obelisk with bas relief sculptures showing McKinly in action during the battle. On one sculpture we find a row of union soldiers hunkered down behind a wall taking aim at the enemy. It also shows McKinley, who was a mess sargeant at the time STANDING next to them pouring coffee for them out of a coffee pot. <_<

I'll have to check out that monument. I'm very far away from it and don't make many visits to that part of the world. I'm sure my father has seen that one though!

Phillip K. Dick Society Newsletter #2

You know about this, right?

Oh yes, but what do I need that for? I have several copies of each of those novels.

Not trying to agitate any consumerist fever--just thought you'd be happy PD is making it into the LOA. :)

I'll probably get the LOA version. I've always wanted to dip my toe in the Phillip K. Dick pool.