Now reading...

Jack Kerouac - "On the Road"

The Kerouac scroll on which he typed On The Road is currently on display at one of the museums here in Santa Fe. It's part of a fascinating exhibit which includes books, music, photos, videos, etc..

I believe a 50th anniversary edition of On The Road will be published this year.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

some paper of which i thought it did exactly what i am trying to achieve; after two depressed hours (and several spam posts here, sorry) I finally managed to look inside and it seems, somewhat contrary to the abstract, they are not really doing anything too exciting, doesn't solve any problems, still i feel a lot better now and might even read on :)

Just starting a novel by Eric Garcia called "Anonymous Rex." Appears to be a noir-ish detective story set in L.A., except that several of the characters, including the two guys running the detective agency, are actually dinosaurs in human disguises. I'll let you know how that all works out...

Just starting a novel by Eric Garcia called "Anonymous Rex." Appears to be a noir-ish detective story set in L.A., except that several of the characters, including the two guys running the detective agency, are actually dinosaurs in human disguises. I'll let you know how that all works out...

...it gotta be interesting. :lol:

The Kerouac scroll on which he typed On The Road is currently on display at one of the museums here in Santa Fe. It's part of a fascinating exhibit which includes books, music, photos, videos, etc..

I believe a 50th anniversary edition of On The Road will be published this year.

Yeah, I heard about that exhibit....I hope it makes its way to Chicago. I 'm loving this book. The fact that the main character's name is "Sal" is a nice bonus!

The new edition of On the Road is supposed to contain additional material that was somehow censored from the original verison.

Edited by sal

What are the names of the detectives: Dino Spade and Saurs Harcher?

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I couldn't resist. Sorry.

And the incipit:

"I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollar's T-Rex."

Edited by porcy62

Didn't Jim Irsay, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts buy the On the Road scroll several years ago?

Didn't Jim Irsay, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts buy the On the Road scroll several years ago?

Yes. Big $$$ too.

Reading several essays by my favorite film critic, Andrew Sarris, in You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet.

From "Norma Shearer (1902-1983):

"People sometimes ask me why we don't have people like the Marx Brothers anymore, and I reply that we do have people like the Marx Brothers, perhaps too many, but we don't have people like Margaret Dumont anymore. We don't have dowagers or stuffed shirts. Everyone, rich or poor, young or old, is a zany character with a stand-up routine. There is no one for zaniness to play off against."

Christiern, great to see you posting again! I evidently missed some of your recent ones... we had a rather fiery discussion about that Gennari book in the "Jazz in print" forum a few months back. Anyway, we're lucky to have you around once more.

Just started vacation today, and have the following lined up:

The new Willis Conover biography

Alan Wald's TRINITY OF PASSION: THE LITERARY LEFT & THE ANTIFASCIST CRUSADE

Alyn Shipton's NEW HISTORY OF JAZZ

A Pee Wee Russell biography

Very interested in the new Don DeLillo novel (FALLING MAN) and the new Michael Chabon novel as well (THE YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION).

That new Chabon, The Yiddish Policeman's Union, looks intriguing. I heard him interviewed on Fresh Air recently and it made me want to go out and buy it.

BTW, re-reading Revolution In the Head by Ian MacDonald. Love that book.

Also, Peanuts: 1963-1964. :tup

GofM:

Please, pretty please, post your thoughts on this when you're done. I just finished Murry Kempton's: Part of Our Time: Some Ruins and Monuments of the Thirties, and the Wald book sounds like a natural follow up.

GofM:

Please, pretty please, post your thoughts on this when you're done. I just finished Murry Kempton's: Part of Our Time: Some Ruins and Monuments of the Thirties, and the Wald book sounds like a natural follow up.

Will do, Matthew. I'm going to start it here in just a little while...Wald's previous book EXILES FROM A FUTURE TIME is very good; it and TRINITY are part of a trilogy he is writing about 1930s authors. The classic early/pioneering work on this topic, Daniel Aaron's WRITERS ON THE LEFT, is still worth reading as well. (Wald's trilogy-in-progress is basically an attempt to write an updated & more-expansive version of the Aaron book.)

GofM:

Will do, Matthew. I'm going to start it here in just a little while...Wald's previous book EXILES FROM A FUTURE TIME is very good; it and TRINITY are part of a trilogy he is writing about 1930s authors. The classic early/pioneering work on this topic, Daniel Aaron's WRITERS ON THE LEFT, is still worth reading as well. (Wald's trilogy-in-progress is basically an attempt to write an updated & more-expansive version of the Aaron book.)

Thanks, I might have to check out Wald for my own vacation in July.

Also still reading Merton's journal LEARNING TO LOVE--did I mention this to you, or post it here? Covers the 1966-67 period, including his affair with "M" (Margie Smith); a touching love story that haunts me, for some reason. (She's still alive, but has never written or spoken about her relationship with Merton, save for a phone interview with his official biographer.)

Edited by ghost of miles

Edwin O'Conner's book The Edge of Sadness. Story about a recovering alcoholic priest set in Boston. Written in 1961, is really is a story of days-gone-by, and the life of the Irish-Americans that were a part of the fabric of the Catholic Church of that era. O'Conner has the whole story and talk based Irish/American culture down, and writes in a traditional style narrative. Enjoyable, though the depiction of the priesthood is a little off -- J.F Powers' book Morte D'Urban is still the most realistic look at the priesthood IMHO, even though it's a comedy/farce, he's dead on about what priests are like.

edit: for clarity

Edited by Matthew