Now reading...

kafkaOnTheShore.jpg

Haruki Murakami: Kafka on the Shore

A wonderfully inventive and disturbingly moving novel

:tup

His best work IMHO

That's only the second Murakami I've read. The first I read was After Dark, which had its moments but didn't grab me. I started with that one because early on it mentioned Curtis Fuller's "Five Spot After Dark". I'm planning on reading more of Murakami's works. Hope it's not all downhill after Kafka.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope it's not all downhill after Kafka.

Not at all, "Norwegian Wood" and "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" are excellent too. BTW he is a jazz and vinyl lover, so I tend to be forgiving about him...just joking he's great writer. I didn't like all his works, but, Dostoyevsky and Conrad a part, I could say the same for every writers.

Not at all, "Norwegian Wood" and "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" are excellent too. BTW he is a jazz and vinyl lover, so I tend to be forgiving about him...just joking he's great writer. I didn't like all his works, but, Dostoyevsky and Conrad a part, I could say the same for every writers.

Thanks for the recs. Read about 25 pages of The Wind-up Bird Chronicle in a book store this afternoon, so that will be my next Murakami. Then I'll move on to the ones you mentioned.

Thanks for the recs. Read about 25 pages of The Wind-up Bird Chronicle in a book store this afternoon, so that will be my next Murakami. Then I'll move on to the ones you mentioned.

Pretty much love all Murakami. Favourites not mentioned include "A Wild Sheep Chase", "Dance, Dance, Dance" and "South of the Border, West of the Sun".

About halfway through The Geometry of God by Uzma Aslam Khan.

Am also reading Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide on the bus.

After this, I will probably tackle some Canadian lit. I recently learned that Robert Kroetsch died in a car accident this past summer. I've read perhaps half of his novels, and I think I'll go back through them chronologically. The Studhorse Man is one that people should definitely seek out, and I plan on rereading this for certain. After that, perhaps Jack Hodgins, who writes a lot about BC. And possibly read some of Timothy Findley's novels (only read about 1/3 of those).

• 2 weeks later...

Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide

Robert Kroetsch The Studhorse Man

Just finished both of these. The Hungry Tide is really a solid novel. What makes it quite special is that he shows people coming from a number of different viewpoints sympathetically -- scientists/ecologists, managers working within the system, simple fishermen, villagers striving to better themselves -- and showing (at least implicitly) the positives and negatives of these different ways of life. It's a fairly non-judgemental work, though there are a couple of nasty personalities that come into play. I'd say Ghosh hits his stride (for me) about 50 pages in.

By contrast, The Studhorse Man is pretty hilarious from page 1. I really don't know why this isn't better known, as it is one of the really great Canadian novels (I guess there's your trouble). The novel is another riff on the Ulysses story (as the scholarly intro to the latest edition points out at length -- I would probably just skip this), with plenty of inversions. It's actually probably a riff of Joyce riffing on Homer, if you get my drift. But that doesn't take away from the fun.