Now reading...

My usual summer detective binge:

51M7jXeLU-L._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg518kXQzFlIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg51VjS4OrmCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Very much enjoyed the last two - one based on the Norfolk coast, the other in Cambridge (though not the posh college side).

Also another Kate Atkinson whose books I really love. Quirky sense of humour:

51WxlKEHK%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

And my big history book of the summer, a very good overview of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars:

516Se-paDAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The naval bits of which (alongside a trip to the 'Victory' in Portsmouth) made me read:

511PIO2z7PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

A series I first read as a 14 year old, 40 years ago. Enjoyed it thoroughly - will try and read through the series again.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Daniel Silva: Prince Of Fire

Obviously I disagree with the above post.

I really am enjoying this series of Gabriel Allon novels. :shrug[1]::ph34r:

Compared to the best crime and spy novels, it lacks depth and humour. I mean the good guys are really really good, most of them are into Mossad only because some of their relatives were killed by the bad guys that are really really bad. I mean the worst thing the good good guys do in the novel is smoking cigarettes, despite they promised to quit to their wifes. Obvioulsy the bad bad guys smoke because they enjoy to smoke, the good guys smoke because they have to, everybody knows that keeping the world safe from the bad guys is a stressfull job.

Plus there is a rankin for good and bad guys: the very very good guys are in the Mossad, the very good guys are in the CIA, the good guys are in MI5, the guys are in the French Secret Service, the bad guys are in the new KGB, FSB, the very bad guys are former KGB agent, the very bad bad bad guys are in Al-Qaeda.

Compared to this novel, Spielberg's "Munich" looks like a movie wrote by Hamas.

Edited by porcy62

516Se-paDAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Finished this today. Very good general survey of the 1792-1815 period. Could have done with some proof-reading on the dates - just errors that get events out of sequence in places rather than historical inaccuracies.

About to start:

517aTvedtpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

So I have been making pretty good progress in going through some books on my read-one-time-only-then-discard. However, for better or worse, I've just started Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh, and it may be one I end up keeping, totally defeating the purpose of the stack. Oh well. The opening is pretty strong, and I'm enjoying it.

I have read The Best of Crank and a few others than were not particularly memorable.

Somewhat inspired by the discussion of Levine becoming the Poet Laureate, I did pick up W.S. Merwin's Migration, which is a major expansion of his previous Selected Poems (around 200 pages longer and covers 6 or so collections that came out since Selected Poems). I saw it at Borders when lit. fic. was 25% off, but thought it too expensive. I was very surprised when it was still there at 50%, so I picked it up. There are certainly some good poems from the 80s and 90s (and maybe I will post one in the poetry thread) but in general he is working in a much longer form (2-3 page poems) that just seem off somehow and certainly not as meaningful/impacting as his shorter earlier poems. Well, I guess that's just the way it goes.

Orbit%20Unlimited.jpg

A book I picked up on a used book store bender; much better than it's title, thankfully.

I've gotten a ton of Anderson's books at used bookstores; more than I'll ever get around to reading, probably.

Yes, I have a few from the same source - clearly a transatlantic phenomenon! Just finished reading:

9780575082359.jpg

A recent edition of this 1953 novel with the present day London skyline on the cover, the "erotic gherkin" well in evidence on the right. :smirk:

Having recently invested in a Kindle, I've been seeking recommendations. I read a few fantasy novels by Patrick Rothfuss which were actually quite enjoyable, the first two in his Name Of The Wind series. Fun magical medieval stuff. Fast reading, and some very memorable moments.

Wanting something entirely different, I downloaded Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, what a friend described as "Japanese surrealism." I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and enjoying it quite a bit even if I'm left a bit bewildered by the plot.

I'll have to download a few of the suggestions in this thread. :rlol

Just finished reading:

9780575082359.jpg

A recent edition of this 1953 novel with the present day London skyline on the cover, the "erotic gherkin" well in evidence on the right. :smirk:

Definitely one of the great ones! Speaking of which, I just started reading this one for the first time in decades:

51XEHFTNSPL.jpg

That's weird...the cover made absolutely no sense to me until I posted that. I couldn't see the baby's face on the actual cover until I saw it here!

Wanting something entirely different, I downloaded Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, what a friend described as "Japanese surrealism." I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and enjoying it quite a bit even if I'm left a bit bewildered by the plot.

I am familiar with Murakami' works lately, and the Bird isn't his best novel, IMHO. I loved Norwegian Wood, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Kafka on the Shore, Dance Dance Dance.

Just finished reading:

9780575082359.jpg

Definitely one of the great ones! Speaking of which, I just started reading this one for the first time in decades:

51XEHFTNSPL.jpg

That's weird...the cover made absolutely no sense to me until I posted that. I couldn't see the baby's face on the actual cover until I saw it here!

More Than Human is a classic, though I haven't re-read it since the first time, which was in the 70's. Perhaps I'm subconsciously afraid I'll be disappointed?

More Than Human is a classic, though I haven't re-read it since the first time, which was in the 70's. Perhaps I'm subconsciously afraid I'll be disappointed?

I'd say it holds up damned well. The only difference I found in my response is a strong desire to read Faulkner now; that didn't happen back then...

I'd say it holds up damned well. The only difference I found in my response is a strong desire to read Faulkner now; that didn't happen back then...

Nice; glad to hear it. Thanks for the response.