Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just read Henning Mankell's The Troubled Man, the last in his Kurt Wallander series.

Very good (though more than a little depressing), maybe the best in the series. I had gotten a bit tired of Mankell's style, and had been avoiding his books for a while, but this was definitely worthwhile.

19cb67ee095f322593551595441434d414f4541.jpg

A fascinating read!

Yes, I have a copy of that one by Mike Hennessey too. Never realised he (Klook, that is) was married at one time to Annie Ross !

No mention of marriage so far, just that he got her pregnant when she was 19 and he was 17 years older! As to your copy, I notice Amazon.uk is asking about £75 for a used copy. (Mine's from the public library.)

No mention of marriage so far, just that he got her pregnant when she was 19 and he was 17 years older! As to your copy, I notice Amazon.uk is asking about £75 for a used copy. (Mine's from the public library.)

Good to hear. I paid £7-8 a few years ago for the hardback. With protective binding and as new !

Connie Willis - "To Say Nothing of the Dog ~ or ~ How We Found The Bishop's Bird Stump At Last"

!!eCgEE!B2M~$(KGrHqEOKpQE0UEDTEztBNRZTYrc5w~~_7.JPG?set_id=89040003C1

I read this about a year ago. Enjoyable. Didn't make me run out and read anything else by Connie Willis, but I may someday. Worth noting there is a minor riff on the classic English comic novel -- Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat.

Connie Willis - "To Say Nothing of the Dog ~ or ~ How We Found The Bishop's Bird Stump At Last"

Please report! It's been sitting on my shelves for a while. I tried Doomsday Book, but bogged down pretty quickly; not a good sign...

Over the last month or so have been working through the novels of Charles Dickens. I have no rational explanation for this quest except that the idea appealed to me. So far:

I spent most of my life avoiding Dickens; imagine my surprise when I finally read some...

Edited by Jazzmoose

Please report! It's been sitting on my shelves for a while. I tried Doomsday Book, but bogged down pretty quickly; not a good sign...

I thought it was an amusing time-travel romp. It's not as self-serious as (perhaps) the Doomsday Book.

Over the last month or so have been working through the novels of Charles Dickens. I have no rational explanation for this quest except that the idea appealed to me. So far:

I spent most of my life avoiding Dickens; imagine my surprise when I finally read some...

At one point, I was going to read through Dickens more or less chronologically. I may still some day, but it has been pushed into the future. (I actually have read far more Trollope than Dickens.) The odd thing was that I read Pickwick Papers in my 20s and liked it, but then was less taken with it when I reread it in my late 30s. I do remember reading Bleak House for college and thinking it pretty good, so maybe I should reread that and see if I still held my interest; if so, I could go loop back and start with the middle novels, maybe Dombey & Son, which is where I think he really hit his stride. Or maybe just stick with the original plan and start in on Oliver Twist. I will be making quite a few trips between Chicago and Seattle/Vancouver between now and Jan., and long novels might be just the thing...

Richard Stark, THE MOURNER--fourth in the Parker series to which Larry Kart hipped me. I've become a Parker addict. :ph34r:

Yeah, and Stark's other side, Donald E. Westlake has written some good ones too. I recently read one of his earlier comic novels "The Fugitive Pigeon" as well as the first two "Dortmunder" books: "The Hot Rock" and "Bank Shot." (In the first one they steal a gem over and over again and in the second they literally steal a bank.)

And his 1997 novel "The Ax" could be seen as a parable of today's job market: the protagonist researches all the candidates likely to be in front of him for a job, tracks them down and does away with them.