Now reading...

Finally done with a lot of books that didn't do much for me, I can read a few more purely entertaining books. I decided on the theme of road trip, so I am reading Faulkner's The Reivers. A little bit down the road, I will reread Handling Sin by Michael Malone (and while I don't know this, I certainly suspect that Malone was inspired at least a bit by The Reivers). Then Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie and Greene's Travels with My Aunt.

Faulkner can certainly be quite funny when you get past some of the "difficult," even baroque passages. The Reivers has a bit of the convoluted writing of his mid-career novels, but is generally a simpler read. Faulkner's ear for dialect is amazing, and when you read all the back-and-forth in the bordello kitchen for instance, it is flat-out hilarious. I am really enjoying it.

I was wondering why it hadn't been made into a movie, and apparently it was (in 1969 with Steve McQueen). I wonder how much they had to tone it down back then. Anyway, I guess I'll see about scoring a copy, since it eventually did make it to DVD. (As far as I know, no one has made Handling Sin into a movie. Apparently, Malone actually delivered a script to some studio but it never went anywhere.)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

L. A. Noir: The Struggle For The Soul Of America's Most Seductive City by John Buntin. Story of Mickey Cohen, who was the king mobster in LA, and William Parker, the famous LA Chief of Police. Very good so far, but the whole "struggle for the soul of LA" is, of course, complete bs, but a writer does need a hook to sell a book. It would be nice if LA was not always examined through the glasses of Raymond Chandler.

61ef2b6f474d58eb216b3f94800ac103.png

L. A. Noir: The Struggle For The Soul Of America's Most Seductive City by John Buntin. Story of Mickey Cohen, who was the king mobster in LA, and William Parker, the famous LA Chief of Police. Very good so far, but the whole "struggle for the soul of LA" is, of course, complete bs, but a writer does need a hook to sell a book. It would be nice if LA was not always examined through the glasses of Raymond Chandler.

61ef2b6f474d58eb216b3f94800ac103.png

Or if they'd actually wear the right prescription Chandler glasses.

• 2 weeks later...

51PZy4XzgML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Just finished. Best thing I've read on the Cuban Missile Crisis - tremendous sense of narrative drive. Seeing things from the eye of the U2 pilot who strayed into Siberia or one of the Soviet nuclear submarine captains gives you a very different perspective. Gives a tremendous sense of just how much was beyond the control of both administrations.

41YRYYN8D7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Over half way through - not a riveting read, but someone I wanted to know more about.

51Rotb8IpEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

A Cambridge Spies "6th man" espionage thriller. Not enjoying it much. A bit cardboard cut-out character wise (it's starting to remind me of the bloody Da Vinci code, without all the symbols).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I like the Elric stories best; I also like his non-sicence fiction historical novels and fantasies.

At one point I had read nearly all the Moorcock series. Elric is probably the most memorable, but I don't know how the more recent additions to the seris stack up. I kind of liked The End of Time series as well.

I know he's written a number of more serious novels like Mother London and Byzantium Endures, which I've been meaning to read, but have not had the time.

Am juggling three books: Madame Bovary (have never read the entire thing) -- it is part of my "infidelity" mini-challenge. Rushdie's Midnight's Children (re-reading this -- I had planned on seeing the movie afterwards but plans changed).

Amado's The War of the Saints

The later two are overly convoluted, esp. the Amado, and just take too long to get to the actual plot. I definitely liked Midnight's Children more in college, when I was generally more receptive to "playfulness" on the part of the author. Now I value taut storytelling much more and have far less patience with postmodern literary games. (It does make me wonder whether I should re-read Tristram Shandy, which is nothing but digressions.) I don't recall other Amado novels being so disjointed, and I wonder if he was responding to Cortazar's Hopscotch or similar fictiones (I am almost positive I wouldn't want to re-read Hopscotch in my current frame of mind).

41RxvrITOkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Started this last summer - got as far as World War II and then got distracted by Napoleonic sea-going books.

Picked it up again last week and am well into it.

Not what you would call a rip-roaring read but a superbly written and measured bit of historical biography. Gaddis clearly loves his subject (he knew him) but this is no hagiography. It's as much about where Kennan completely missed his mark as the famous point when everyone ran with his ideas.

You probably need to have an outline knowledge of the Cold War to get much from it; but what I'm finding fascinating is the other directions Kennan kept pointing in. Helps make the whole thing more three dimensional. Looking forward to seeing his reaction to Vietnam - the blurb suggest he was highly critical.

He was a guitar player too!

Corbis-U1846886.jpg?size=67&uid=a17a8055-06e8-4ed3-95e8-87095d75d7af

New World Coming: The 1920s And The Making Of Modern America by Nathan Miller. A very interesting account of the 1920s, and how the contemporary world was foreshadowed by the events and culture of the 1920s. Enjoying this very much -- recommended if you're interested in this era.

450412.jpg