Now reading...

41rH4rTG0fL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Been meaning to read a Blake bio for a while. The Westbrook Blake concert last Saturday made me pull this off the shelves where its been sat a couple of years.

How is the Blake book? I've been dying to read it, but it's incredibly expensive in the USA.

I'm 60 pages in and very much enjoying it. There's a big section of plates in the middle that are linked into the text and help you understand his early work as an apprentice engraver (that might explain the expense). Very good on the origins of his worldview in the Dissenting tradition. I've never quite 'got' what Blake was railing against but it's starting to make sense now. I knew he was deeply suspicious of industrialisation and 'reason' but the text makes clear how this was rooted in a general mistrust of authority both civil and religious.

Thanks for your initial thoughts, I keep looking for a cheap, used copy here.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been meaning to read a Blake bio for a while. The Westbrook Blake concert last Saturday made me pull this off the shelves where its been sat a couple of years.

How is the Blake book? I've been dying to read it, but it's incredibly expensive in the USA.

I'm 60 pages in and very much enjoying it. There's a big section of plates in the middle that are linked into the text and help you understand his early work as an apprentice engraver (that might explain the expense). Very good on the origins of his worldview in the Dissenting tradition. I've never quite 'got' what Blake was railing against but it's starting to make sense now. I knew he was deeply suspicious of industrialisation and 'reason' but the text makes clear how this was rooted in a general mistrust of authority both civil and religious.

From what I can see online, used copies in the U.S. are far from cheap. Good luck with your search, Matthew.

From what I can see online, used copies in the U.S. are far from cheap. Good luck with your search, Matthew.

If you act fast, it looks like the copy from Better World Books is a pretty good deal: http://www.amazon.com//gp/offer-listing/0300089392/sr=/qid=/?condition=used&tag=bkfndr76-b-20

I've had pretty good luck ordering from them over the past 5 years.

6559117-M.jpg

ROXANA - Daniel Defoe - 1724 (but set in the time of Charles II)

Another "bad girl," another "Martha Quest" (17th c. style), the first person narrative of this mistress, whore, and ultimately accessory to murder (of her own daughter), yet also proponent of women's financial and legal independence, opponent of marriage, erstwhile mother, female anti-hero. The redundant style does tend to bog down from time to time, especially towards the latter part of the book.

6559117-M.jpg

ROXANA - Daniel Defoe - 1724 (but set in the time of Charles II)

Another "bad girl," another "Martha Quest" (17th c. style), the first person narrative of this mistress, whore, and ultimately accessory to murder (of her own daughter), yet also proponent of women's financial and legal independence, opponent of marriage, erstwhile mother, female anti-hero. The redundant style does tend to bog down from time to time, especially towards the latter part of the book.

Read all of Defoe's major writings in the 1970s for an M.A. course in 18th Century English Literature. No longer fits my present lazier attitude to reading. :smirk: That said, Moll Flanders and Robinson Crusoe remain the memorable ones, along with Journal of the Plague Year which had almost a science fiction feel.

103981.jpg36087.jpg

Been reading Brigid Brophy, Anglo -Irish critic, novelist, journalist, crusader for animal and author rights, open marriage, bisexuality, vegetarianism. A sharp mind, a neat wit, a puckish sense of humor, an elegant sensibility. Her praises are as satisfying to read as her skewerings (love her take-downs of "Lucky Jim" and Henry Miller). Turns out she was also an intimate friend of Iris Murdoch, in what was a fraught friendship. Recently, over a thousand letters from Iris to Brigid were made available (Brigid's letters to Iris were destroyed at Brigid's direction). "Hackenfeller's Ape," the tale of a zoology professor and a caged Hackenfeller Ape (a fictitious species) having a meeting of minds; the book won the 1954 Cheltenham Prize for best first novel; Murdoch's "Under the Net" came in second, certainly a misjudgment, although Brophy's book is fun to read. Brophy is one of those minor talents who are often more fun to read than their more esteemed contemporaries.

I saw the play version of Of Human Bondage, and perhaps not surprisingly they played up the Mildred angle to the hilt, even increasing the conflict above and beyond what was in the actual book. They completely eliminated Philip's uncle and that whole subplot. They killed off a couple of characters and switched around who committed suicide. They made one of the shop assistants into an imitation of Mr Humphries in Are You Being Served, and kind of changed that plot slightly. The Persian rug was actually spared and brought into the happy ending. I guess most of these are relatively minor revisions, and the emotional core of the plot remained, but I was a bit taken aback (and spent much of the play just thinking of where they had made these changes). I generally could only abide the novel when Mildred was not in the picture, and of course she was around most of the time in the play, so I didn't really enjoy myself.

I finally finished The Burn. Didn't like it. I know he was often attempting this novel to be a contemporary update of Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, but I found it far more reminiscent of Moscow to the End of the Line (another book on contemporary Moscow that I found exhausting, though that was considerably shorter).

I've just started Geoff Nicholson's Bleeding London. It strikes me as a mainstream writer slumming a bit and writing genre fiction, specially the crime/revenge story. While it came out well before, the plot seems a lot like Kill Bill. I think I'll finish it, but it isn't doing a lot for me at the moment. Unlikely to read any other Geoff Nicholson.

I guess the good news is that the next stack of books looks a lot more rewarding.

the-whitehall-mandarin.jpg

Somewhat far fetched Cold War thriller. Starts in the late 50s in a Profumoesque world moving through the Sino-Soviet dispute and, where I've got to, an Apocalypse Now-ish journey from South Vietnam into VC territory.

Not exactly believable but enjoyable...I'll read more by him. It's also made me get a copy of:

51SjHLIDnYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wallace Stegner's Wolf Willow. Like myself, Stegner lived in Saskatchewan for awhile when he was young and then moved to the States, albeit at a younger age and a long time ago. It's set in and about the country near East End at (you guessed it!) the east end of the Cypress Hills, an intersting place.

The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. An early Twain book, where we see Samuel Clemons turn into his Mark Twain character -- the straight-talking, unimpressed, American outsider, who renders "truth" upon his readers, with cynicism, wit, and humor.

twainmaretext02mtinn11.jpg