Now reading...

I've just finished Slouching Toward Gomorah by Robert Bork. It examines the moral decline of America in our lifetime. It was written in 1995, but is just as applicable today.

He feels that the sixties accelerated the decline, but that the decline was already on its way even if the sixties had not happened as they did.

He puts particular blame on two elements of the cultural elite - the Supreme Court (and of course all courts in general, including trial courts which are increasingly unable to convict and punish criminals) and the universities, which he says have rejected logic and reason for the goal of equal results.

I'm surprised he didn't trace it back to women's suffrage...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Pamela Des Barres "I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie". To balance the above hard working of Ghost. :D

Been a long time since I read that one. -_-

The first italian translation dated 2006. Quite dull reading, but interesting... for a sociologist or a rock fan. (I am the latter).

Pamela Des Barres "I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie". To balance the above hard working of Ghost. :D

Been a long time since I read that one. -_-

The first italian translation dated 2006. Quite dull reading, but interesting... for a sociologist or a rock fan. (I am the latter).

Amazon shows the 1st edition as June 1987. Man, I feel old.

Picked up some real cheapo SF on Saturday and am just starting into Robert Heinlein's "The number of the beast".

MG

He would've been 100 this year.

If I recall, it is this one where Heinlein started in on his dirty old man of SF routine (well maybe Time Enough for Love). In fact, there are stretches that are essentially fan-fiction but at a really high level. You'll see what I mean when you get to them. That said, it is an entertaining novel, but not as good as Heinlein in his prime.

Just starting a novel by Eric Garcia called "Anonymous Rex." Appears to be a noir-ish detective story set in L.A., except that several of the characters, including the two guys running the detective agency, are actually dinosaurs in human disguises. I'll let you know how that all works out...

How did it work out?

I read Hot & Sweaty Rex. A quick fun read!

Picked up some real cheapo SF on Saturday and am just starting into Robert Heinlein's "The number of the beast".

MG

He would've been 100 this year.

If I recall, it is this one where Heinlein started in on his dirty old man of SF routine (well maybe Time Enough for Love). In fact, there are stretches that are essentially fan-fiction but at a really high level. You'll see what I mean when you get to them. That said, it is an entertaining novel, but not as good as Heinlein in his prime.

Yes, I've noticed some of the in jokes already.

Every so often, Heinlein really pisses me off, because he's so right wing. But he tells a good yarn, so I keep trying another book or two.

MG