Rock/pop albums that are surprisingly unavailable

Pete C

Why would almost all of Van Morrison's stuff be in print, but St. Dominic's Preview has been unavailable as long as I've been looking? All of Procol Harum's early stuff is only available on CD in the U.S. as imports, and hence unavailable on streaming services like Rhapsody & Spotify. These are rhetorical questions, but feel free to add your own.

"Hymns to the Silence" is freakin' hard to come by also. Of course, when I moved, that was one of the CDs I sold to help pay for the move. Matthew, you idiot!

Let me also add: Moby Grape's debut album, and a ton of Sky Saxon albums.

Let me add again: Try finding Bram Tchaikovsky's two albums on cd... impossible! And I really dug both his albums back in the day.

Edited by Matthew

These are the two I keep coming back to on St. Domenic, when I come back to it.

I've about reached the pint where I just listen to Veedon Fleece and get the same thing in shorter doses that are just as effective. Still, glad to have these two, and I'm shocked as hell that it's not in print on CD. But neither is A Period Of Transition, which is admittedly a lesser album, except when it's not (Flamingos Fly).

Those Moby Grape albums have been hard to get for MANY years. My best recollection of the situation is that their former manager owns the rights and has been fighting with the band over them for decades. Several years back there was a VERY short window when a couple of them were released, but before long they were pulled off the market..........again.

Those Moby Grape albums have been hard to get for MANY years. My best recollection of the situation is that their former manager owns the rights and has been fighting with the band over them for decades. Several years back there was a VERY short window when a couple of them were released, but before long they were pulled off the market..........again.

Correct. The curse of Matthew Katz continues across the decades. Sundazed put those Moby Grape albums out in deluxe editions when they thought they finally had the rights cleared, then got sued by Katz and chose to pull the CD's rather than defend the suit, according to my understanding. Sony got out a really good set on them during one of the "windows of opportunity" : it has the entire first album (by far their best) and 30+ additional tracks:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Very-Best-Moby-Grape/dp/B000026G8K/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_7

The entire It's A Beautiful Day catalog has also been in the same Katz-purgatory for decades. And their first album was my favorite album of 1969. It and 'Marrying Maiden" and "Live at Carnegie Hall" can be found at reasonable prices, and they're the only titles that really matter, but their catalog has never really been done right. Columbia was going to do a 2CD set on them similar to the Moby Grape set, but the window for doing it closed before it could get released.