The great Roy Haynes

Hardbopjazz

Sir Charles Thompson played at a hotel in Boston for many years, cannot remember which one it was, but I went and saw him a few times; sweetheart of a guy, and he loved Percy France, whom he called, to my shock and delight, "the greatest saxophonist in the world." They made one lp together for Columbia, on which Sir Charles played organ.

sorry to interrupt, but I love Sir Charles Thompson's playing,

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Roy this past Friday and while the music was very, very good, his age seems to caught up with him. The signs of dementia that I saw when I talked to him a year ago (forgetting shows/places he's played) have only gotten worse. His is on a tour now (at the Blue Note in NYC this week) and if you want to see him play live, I would strongly suggest doing it on this tour.

I don't even want to think of a world without Roy.

Sir Charles Thompson played at a hotel in Boston for many years, cannot remember which one it was, but I went and saw him a few times; sweetheart of a guy, and he loved Percy France, whom he called, to my shock and delight, "the greatest saxophonist in the world." They made one lp together for Columbia, on which Sir Charles played organ.

So, you've got me intrigued, who else is on this album with Sir Charles & Percy? And I love Roy Haynes!

On the other hand, at a gig here in Chicago in the '90s he threatened to kill one of his sidemen, a nice guy, too (Arthur Hoyle told that story).

My friend went to the second set friday night with Pat and Christian guesting, he said Roy was forgetful, when Pat called H&H, he had to remind Roy they played it together 25 years ago, but he said once Roy was behind the kit the years melted away. Another friend who saw Roy last year reported similar about the forgetfulness but let's enjoy the treasure of Mr. Haynes while he is still here, in the moment.

I originally made a comment saying "the dude on guitar looks like a jerkoff". After posting that I saw it is Metheny. I guess that explains the jeans and sneakers but it doesn't make it right.

Growing up is no longer a requirement - guess fashion-wise one could consider Metheny a trailblazer :P

• 5 years later...