The Super Bore. errrrr Bowl

Who Is Gonna Win The Big Game  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yahhh!! We did it!!!

Thoughts of the game:

Credit goes out to the Panthers who came to play. The Pats, on the other hand looked heavily burdened by their favored status. This is the worst game played by the Patriots in a long time.

At the same time, Carolina was very lucky to be able to stay in the game. While our kicker missed two 30-yard field goals, theirs nails a 50-yarder. Figures... :blink:

Say what you will about that "bad spot," Jim, but the truth is that one camera angle showed that it was a first down while another showed it short. The evidence was inconclusive and not worthy of being overturned. In the meantime, there was a clear fumble on the part of the Panther receiver who dropped the ball after being hit, while the refs ruled it as incomplete. I am totally mystified as to why Bill Belichick never challenged the call. Perhaps the Panthers got the next play off quickly.

Then a couple of questionable calls on the Patriot defenders. Seems the refs wanted to tighten up on holding of wide receivers off the line of scrimmage. That offensive interference call on Troy Brown is rarely called on receivers. In the meantime, Carolina linebacker Dan Morgan spears Brady with his helmet and no flag on that. Weird! Brady got wacked on the chin by Morgan's helmet.

Pats have to win in a boring fashion. They've got a great and exciting defence but the offense is pedestrian. Our punter is the worst in the league. He keeps games close. :excited: Vinatieri has been less than perfect this year. We don't have any depth at the safety position at all and when Rodney Harrison went out with an injury, the Panthers immediately wen to work down the middle of the field and scored an easy touchdown. I did feel that if Vinatieri misses that final kick, we would lose the game in overtime. We have no real backup for Rodney Harrison.

The Pats have some holes to fill in the offseason. The fact that they've got 7 picks in the first 4 rounds of the next draft won't hurt at all. They've got to address their safety position. The need a backup for Rodney and they've got to move Eugene Wilson from safety back to cornerback, which is his natural position. Strangely enough and hidden in their successful year is the fact that they never were able to replace Lawyer Milloy when he was cut at the beginning of the season.

Let's give praise to the Patriot offensive line which didn't allow a sack all game against the fearsome front four of the Panthers. That offensive line has played extremely well all season and gets no press at all.

The Patriot defence looked awful at times while stymying Carolina in the first quarter. The Panther offence looked very ragged but they would connect on these desperate passes and desperate runs. They were very opportunistic and this kept them in the game. Carolina is a team on the rise. As long as they don't encounter any salary cap issues, they will only get better. They will be a force next year.

Dynasty? Don't talk to me about that! This game went too close for me to consider my team a dynasty. Now if we win another Super Bowl in the next two years, then I might thing that. Otherwise forget it! I believe we will have a better team next year, but it is virtually impossible to repeat as champions and everyone will be gunning for us. Our plum free agent prize, Linebacker Roosevelt Colvin was placed on injured reserve after the third game of the season. He'll be back next year. Then all those draft picks. We'll be in the running, but we won't win it all. Perhaps in 2006.

I'll take the win even if we didn't play our best. I'll take it. A win is a win. Feels good... :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, conn.

I think the Carolina kicker who kicked off after the last score was responsible for the biggest gaff. Kicking it out of bounds in that situation was really a mistake. Who know, the Pats might have scored anyway, but this guy handed it to 'em on a silver platter. Put any team on the 40 yard line and the odds are good that they will at least get a field goal.

First 25 minutes= deathly dull

Remainder of game= excellent, one of the better Super Bowls I've seen.

Janet Jackson= desperate for attention. I tuned out for the half time festivities, but thanks to Mule for providing the video still.

Did anyone else think the commercials were only fair this year? My favorite was the Bud Light farting horse. Rusty's been eating Beefarinos again.

Congrats, conn.

I think the Carolina kicker who kicked off after the last score was responsible for the biggest gaff. Kicking it out of bounds in that situation was really a mistake. Who know, the Pats might have scored anyway, but this guy handed it to 'em on a silver platter. Put any team on the 40 yard line and the odds are good that they will at least get a field goal.

First 25 minutes= deathly dull

Remainder of game= excellent, one of the better Super Bowls I've seen.

Janet Jackson= desperate for attention. I tuned out for the half time festivities, but thanks to Mule for providing the video still.

Did anyone else think the commercials were only fair this year? My favorite was the Bud Light farting horse. Rusty's been eating Beefarinos again.

Thanks FOF.

Agree with you on Kasay's kick, but you know, he didn't have to nail that 50-yard field goal either. ;) Actually, the idea was to avoid kicking the ball to Bethea Johnson, who is a real speedster and he ended up by kicking it out of bounds.

I too missed the halftime celebrations as it wasn't my kind of music. Where was Cedar Walton or Charles Lloyd? B)

My favorite commercial was the one about the ref taking all the verbal abuse and we find out "how he does it!" He takes worse abuse at home. Quite mysogenic but funny nevertheless.

Haven't been able to download any of the press conferences yet. This will start sinking in tomorrow. Too damned excited right now.

Thanks for the affirmation Mule! Guess I could have Googled around some news groups but came right to the center of it all -"Organissimo"- for the answer and the close-up!!

My nine year old daughter was on the horn in a heartbeat to ring up Grandpa to see if he caught the "well you know, her ah, BooB". I assured her that PaPa probably headed into the kitchen for a sammich as soon as P Diddy hit the stage. The overheard coversation was priceless. So that was CBS' big surprise? Gotta hand it to the Jackson kiddies tho.

:blink: i picked this smiley only because the right one is bigger.

A great game all the same and I guess Janet had to upstage Beyonce cause she sure couldn't hit with her in the real lungs department.

http://webpages.charter.net/hiphophead/titty.mpg

:w

As for the boob, I missed it live so I had no clue what had happened til I logged on this morning. Watching Berigan's quicktime file, there is no doubt whatsoever this was planned from the start, the ridiculous apologies notwithstanding. I mean, are we supposed to believe that Justin was trying to get a cheap feel in front of 120 million people? And what about the last line of the song, "I'll have you naked by the end of this song"??? I can't believe Timberlake is taking the fall for this. And, don't tell me CBS pulled away in a big hurry-they had to pull away for the big pyro at the very end, they never intended to linger on Janet, boob or no boob. And last but not least, why was Janet wearing a star-shaped pasty on her nipple, if she didn't know in advance she would be exposed for a second? Its just like that other musical ho, the one who showed up at the Grammy's with her boob entirely exposed but covered with a larger pasty. Have you seen the clip of Diana Ross and her onstage to present an award, and Miss Diana actually felt her up with a look that said, "Girl, what the hell is this?" Same thing-I am sure that was part of their inspiration.

As for the game, definitely one of the best ever. What I can't figure out is, where the hell did the defenses go? The way it started, I honestly wondered whether it woud go to overtime tied at zero. Then 60 points get scored in the last 33 minutes.

And as for "personality" I couldn't care less. You want personality, follow the pathetic Raiders or Dolphins, or those clowns making cel phone calls after touchdowns. I'd much rather watch a team that doesn't strut and just takes care of business.

Edited by Dan Gould

And as for "personality" I couldn't care less.  You want personality, follow the pathetic Raiders or Dolphins, or those clowns making cel phone calls after touchdowns.  I'd much rather watch a team that doesn't strut and just takes care of business.

Well, sure, winning with faceless efficiancy beats the hell out of losing with personality, No bout a doubt it. It sure as hell beats LOSING with faceless efficiancy, ala the last few years of Landry's Cowboys. That run got even me, a devoted Landry hater, to feeling sorry for the poor saps - all of the stylelessness of their illustrious predecessors and none of the substance. Tough gig, that had to be.

But hey - if I had my druthers, I'd take take 'em both - winning AND personality. That's the ultimate - chops and charisma. Kareem & Magic's Lakers, Jordan's Bulls, Ali's Ali, Madden's Raiders, Louis Armstrong. For two seasons, before Jerry Jones, the Dallas Police Department, and a few insatiable noses fouled it up, we had that here, and I tell you, it was glorious. Imaginations and championships both were captured. Top o'the world, Ma, top o'the world.

Of course, if it was my team that was winning Super Bowls with all the flair and elan of a 1971 My Three Sons episode, I'd be satisfied.

But it's not, so... :g:g:g

Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying your team's victory. Honestly, I am.

Edited by JSngry

Well, I like the Pats but they aren't "my" team. But I am now hopeful that New England will, by November, be home of the baseball AND football champions! :g

Dude, a Red Sox Series triumph would be more than fine with me.

After a Cubs one, of course... ;)

You think that we'll ever see either one, even if we live as long as both of us combined? :g

Report from a couple mornings after:

Still feels great, guys! :g:party:

Read an article by Len Pasquarelli, who points out that most of the NE players will be around next year along with a fistful of draft picks and three high quality injured players. They're gonna be in the running again, folks. Repeating is sooo hard. It's that hunger thing.

One thing's for sure: I think Carolina has a good shot of returning to the Super Bowl.

NE? Hard to say. It's that hunger thing. They'll definitely have better players, but that's not enough. Impossible to say. Will have to see if the hunger is there during the early games next year.

In the meantime, I look forward to the college draft then football is really over.

Enjoy baseball everyone! I'm taking a break from sports till next football season.

And last but not least, why was Janet wearing a star-shaped pasty on her nipple, if she didn't know in advance she would be exposed for a second? 

I agree with the people who think this was a (cheap) publicity stunt, and was 100% intentional. I'm sure they figured they could explain it away as a "clothing failure" or whatever, in advance. Actually pretty brilliant plan, with a good escape, and it certainly got everyone talking - wouldn't that be it's purpose?

There was some water-cooler chat at work yesterday (and today for that matter) about whether that was a pasty or not. Surfing the SH Forum earlier, I stumbled on to this blown up photo, which clearly indicates that this ain't no pasty (as I thought before). She's pierced!

post-2-1075703041.jpg

PS - If this is offensive, I'll be glad to remove the link. Personally I think it's topical ;)