Japanese Fontanas

romualdo

This Japanese seller is known for his high prices. His stuff is generally in excellent condition, though.

As far as I know these Fontana albums were never released on CD in the United States or Europe.

I've been following his site

recently missed out on the Brackeen/Cherry Rhythm X CD (currently high on my wants list) - went for under $30 - was too late & didn't get a chance to bid

This Japanese seller is known for his high prices. His stuff is generally in excellent condition, though.

As far as I know these Fontana albums were never released on CD in the United States or Europe.

recently missed out on the Brackeen/Cherry Rhythm X CD (currently high on my wants list) - went for under $30 - was too late & didn't get a chance to bid

That disc was not a Fontana.

That disc was not a Fontana.

was aware of that - Strata East

No, the CDs have never been released anywhere other than Japan.

I've always loved these albums, especially the artwork and bought many of them when they were first released in Europe on vinyl back in the day. (What would they be worth now, I wonder?) I also stumbled across several of the CDs, including these two, in a small record shop near the Manchester Arnedale Centre many years ago and paid what I thought then was an exorbitant price for them. Looks like I got a bargain.

Anyway, apart from the wonderful covers which can be found here:

Marte Roling Fontana Covers

the music's pretty good too!

when they were first released in Europe on vinyl back in the day. (What would they be worth now, I wonder?)

Upwards of £50 in good nick for the UK versions and probably more for the Dutch Fontanas. I've got several of them - I think I picked the Dollar Brand one up for about £7 !

Isn't the Marion Brown cover art taken from a Brownie photo? (I'm sure I remember him mentioning it).

Edited by sidewinder

I had to look twice but he's selling empty boxes for $$$ more than CDs - now that's what I call high pricing

Would like Waldron's the Call that's listed at $20 cheaper than some of the empty boxes!

No, the CDs have never been released anywhere other than Japan.

I've always loved these albums, especially the artwork and bought many of them when they were first released in Europe on vinyl back in the day. (What would they be worth now, I wonder?) I also stumbled across several of the CDs, including these two, in a small record shop near the Manchester Arnedale Centre many years ago and paid what I thought then was an exorbitant price for them. Looks like I got a bargain.

Anyway, apart from the wonderful covers which can be found here:

Marte Roling Fontana Covers

the music's pretty good too!

thanks for the link to the covers - they really kick ass

when they were first released in Europe on vinyl back in the day. (What would they be worth now, I wonder?)

Upwards of £50 in good nick for the UK versions and probably more for the Dutch Fontanas. I've got several of them - I think I picked the Dollar Brand one up for about £7 !

Isn't the Marion Brown cover art taken from a Brownie photo? (I'm sure I remember him mentioning it).

any preference for monos vs stereos in this series ( where they exist in both) ?

Indeed! So was the Cecil Taylor 'Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come'!

That's cool! Is it possible to view the original photos anywhere?

They were published back in late 1965 in the French review 'Jazz Hot' which is where Marta Roling saw them and copied the images for her Fontana cover art. The photos illustrated a series of articles I wrote after a visit to New York. The series was titled 'Autumn in New York'.

any preference for monos vs stereos in this series ( where they exist in both) ?

I think I prefer the stereos for all of the Fontana pressings (example - some of the Tubby Hayes LPs, I think I have both mono and stereo for '100% Proof' and the stereo wins hands down). With respect to the Marte Rolling sleeve LPs I think only the Dollar Brand of the ones I have is in mono. The rest (Cursons, Mohawk, Russell etc.) are in stereo.

Edited by sidewinder