Most interesting/favorite 'Andrew Hill' Blue Note

Rooster_Ties

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just listened to three Hill sessions today: "Andrew!!", the 1965 session from "One For One", and "Compulsion". I hadn't had my Hill Mosaic out in quite a while, and I had forgotten what these sessions were like. (I plan to listen to the "Involution" date with Sam Rivers" within the next couple days.) And, I was specifically curious about "Compulsion", since we've heard from Kevin that Hill (himself) would like "Compulsion" released on CD first, before "Dance With Death".

Gave me the idea for a Hill poll. I purposely did NOT include "Point of Departure", cuz we all know it would win, hands down. Some people really love it, it's probably the best selling Hill disc (by a long shot would be my guess), it's the only Hill disc available as an RVG, it's the only "non-limited edition" Hill disc currently available, it's the only Hill disc "in stock" in most stores (if there are even any at all), and as an RVG title it's the only "nice-price" Hill CD that's been available any time in the last 5+ years, etc... (So, no matter what, it'd win this poll - trust me.)

( Plus, the board software only allows 10 poll choices, and there were at least 11 Hill albums (depending on how you slice and dice them), so something had to be left out. )

I'll vote myself, after I listen to some more Hill later this week. I thought I might say "Black Fire", but having heard several more today that I wasn't as familiar with - I may surprise myself and vote for something else.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

PS: I included the lengthy descriptions of the sidemen, cuz if you're like me - you get all the Hill dates confused. I'll venture that most of us know most of these dates though the Mosaic box - and the dates all run together, with no strong "album" identity attached to each date. At least that's the way it is for me.

Hope it helps people in voting, and in fostering some further discussion about the man and his music...

For me 'Compulsion' is the ringer, although really you can play the Mosaic end to end and there's hardly a falloff in quality between the sessions. Every item on the list is up there in the superlative bracket - just too bad I haven't yet been able to fully hear 'One For One'.

Edited by sidewinder

Before yesterday, it had probably been a full year since I heard "Compulsion" - or really any of those later Hill albums from the Mosaic (meaning all the the ones after "PoD".)

Yesterday, "Compulsion" smacked me upside the head really damn good!!!! As much as I'd like to have "DwD" on CD, I have to say that I don't find much fault with Andrew wanting "Compulsion" back in the marketplace, since the Mosaic is out of print.

Perty please, would someone with the Complete BN Discography handy, remind us all what are all the as-yet unreleased Andrew Hill sessions, who's on them, and when they were recorded?? (My BN-Disco is buried in with a dozens of boxes of books I still haven't unpacked yet.) THANKS!!!

With the semi-big-band date from '69 coming out soon (hopefully in October), I'm wondering what's left?? There's the the trio date called "Chain" or "Chained" from about 1968(?). But other than that, there can't be very many others. (Especially since those extra dates came out on "Grass Roots" and "Lift Every Voice".)

I voted for "Judgment." I originally bought this album because I was looking for more Bobby Hutcherson, but I found Andrew Hill's compositions very intriguing and wanted to hear more. I ended up tracking down the "Smoke Stack" Conn and then the Mosaic, and then "Lift Every Voice." Andrew Hill has become one of my favorite BN artists, to be sure.

I find the compositions on "Judgment" to often have an eerie, contemplative quality to them. I really enjoy that quality in music. Also, not having any horns on the date makes it easier for me to focus on Andrew's piano work. For some reason, Hills albums with horns don't make me think of his playing, and sometimes I'd rather focus on that. Having said that, "Smoke Stack" and "Andrew!!!" are probably my second and third place votes.

Unissued Hill dates:

2/10/67 Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Cecil McBee, Teddy Robinson, Nadi Qumar

5 pieces

5/17/67 trio w/Ron Carter, Teddy Robinson

6 pieces - known as Chained

10/31/67 Woody Shaw, Kenyatta, Rivers, Howard Johnson, Herbie Lewis, Robinson

5 pieces

6/13/69 Carlos Garnett, Karl Porter (bassoon), Richard Davis, Freddie Waits, Sanford Allen (vocal) + string quartet

3 pieces

11/7 + 14/69 Woody Shaw, Dizzy Reece, Julian Priester, Bob Northern, Howard Johnson, Joe Farrell, Ron Carter, Lenny White

proposed new release - 7 pieces

Guest Mnytime

Mnytime wrote:

Brownie

If you check the fine print in Rooster's first post you will find the reason.

Thanks for pointing it out. Should have read Rooster's full post first.

It's all in the details. Luckily you won't find yourself buying useless swamp land for not reading the fine print. :D :D :D

I still haven't voted, but I keep gravitating back to "Judgement". Gotta listen to a few more, and make up my mind. I've ruled a few out, but that doesn't mean they don't measure up.

I too, like others here have said, am amazed at how incredibly consistant the whole Hill Mosaic box is. And, in some ways, that's why the albums blur together so much for me, since I only have the box (and only a few of the singles, I think only "Black Fire", "Judgement", and "PoD"), it's not like there are any albums that "stand out" (in a bad way) because of some sort of lack of quality - neither in the writing, nor the soloing.

Hill's output was remarkably great, on every recording he did in the 60's (IMHO). Even "Lift Every Voice" is a total winner in my book. Initially I didn't care as much for the extra LP that was part of the "One for One" set - meaning the one with the two sessions from 1970, one with a string quartet. While it didn't grab me by the neck and thrash me about the room (the first few times I heard it), like "Compusion" did and still does ---- that extra "One for One" LP (the one NOT on the Mosaic) is still quite an interesting album.

Also, "Dance with Death" has really grown on me too, and I really look forward to the day when it will finally come out on CD. (And not just cuz it's one of the holy grails in the Hill catalog - whether it deserves that status or not.) I was initially really drawn to "DwD" because I love Charles Tolliver so much - but then "DwD" doesn't feature the kind of Tolliver playing that I'm normally as drawn to, or at least not on first listen. But, damn if it hasn't grown on me a whole bunch, and I like it more and more with each listen.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

That was the exact same reasoning for why I speculated that I might vote for "Black Fire", way up in my very first post that started this thread.

For me, "Black Fire" seems like the most "Andrew Hill"-ish Andrew Hill album, out of the whole bunch, even over "PoD". In fact, I've never thought "PoD" sounded particularly "Andrew Hill"-ish, except in some of the parts where Hill is soloing. But, other than that - "PoD" always seemed, somehow, something else entirely.

In fact, I think very early on, when I had less than 500 CD's (a LONG time ago), I think I tried organizing my CD's by where I thought they should go, and not by who's name was on the spine. I think I may have catagorized "PoD" as sounding to me (at the time) more like an Eric Dolphy album, and I think I used to store it briefly next to "Out to Lunch".

( FYI, I still haven't voted, but I will by week's end. )

You know, I haven't listened to "PoD" in ages, but with all this renewed interest in Hill that I've drummed up - I probably should, especially after having heard nearly all the other Hill sessions within such a short period of time. May bring me some new insights to "PoD".

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past two days, I've twice listened to "Lift Every Voice" (including the extra session with vocals), and I am ever more deeply impressed with this material. Yeah, yeah, the vocals are weird - but I'm a choral singer (7 years as a baritone in the Kansas City Symphony Chorus), and I can tell you that the arrangements that 7-voice choir sings (9-voice on the latter session), are some pretty tough stuff.

I'll go on record as saying that I think "Lift Every Voice" (plus the extra session) is as good as anything else Hill did on Blue Note. The scope of these two projects with vocals must have taken a fair amount of extra work, for the vocal arrangements and the extra logistical complications of including them in some fairly challenging material.

I've always wondered if the vocals were recorded separately from the band, meaning if the vocals were overdubbed?? Any theories?? I would tend to think that they were probably overdubbed, but I don't have any strong basis for that conclusion.

By the way, I should mention that my new lobbying for this album as being a great one in the Hill catalog does NOT have to do with the vocals in particular. The band is as tight and loose as any that Hill assembled, and I think both Woody Shaw and Lee Morgan play their socks off. Hell, the whole band (both bands) are really outstanding.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

LEV is terrific, regardless of whatever one's position is as to the vocals. I prefer the "original" session w/ Shaw and Carlos Garnett, but the session with Morgan is also top-notch.

I've actually grown to enjoy the vocals and find that they lend added color and dimension to the compositions.