New Tomasz Stanko release looks good!!

Bol

They will smooth it all out - the last great ECM as far as the sound of the drummer was Bley-Peacock-Motian - Not Two, Not One - not sure why we don't hear the drummers on ECM recordings like they sound live

Listen to Cleaver on the first Formanek Quartet record (The Rub and the Spare Change).

Listen to him live - which I have many times over the past few years and he *sounds* and *plays* great.

Maybe the second Formanek recording on ECM (Small Places) will be better soundwise but I know this topic has been beat to death - but until I hear a recent ECM recording that sounds like the band (and I saw the band live - and they *sound* great), I will keep beating it to death.

Especially since ECM is lately recording some of the musicians I really love and do see live, I will continue

I will switch to that thread - but alas the reason I stopped buying Tomasz Stanko CD's quite a few years back is .......well you know.....

I know what you are saying but I continue to enjoy these ECMs on their own terms , even if livelier recordings are to be found elsewhere. Looking forward to this. I've yet to hear a duff Stanko.

I once owned a Stanko album called Almost Green. Sold it long ago; would love to hear it again.

I'd not heard of that one but a quick search suggests it should be stellar with this line up.

* Tomasz Stanko - trumpet

* Tomasz Szukalski - tenor sax

* Palle Danielsson - bass

* Edward Vesala - drums

I once owned a Stanko album called Almost Green. Sold it long ago; would love to hear it again.

I'd not heard of that one but a quick search suggests it should be stellar with this line up.

* Tomasz Stanko - trumpet

* Tomasz Szukalski - tenor sax

* Palle Danielsson - bass

* Edward Vesala - drums

goes for big money now, I think. start saving....

It's a Leo release that's never had a CD re-issue (I think). There are vinyl rips circulating in the blogosphere though. BTW it's a very nice album.

Edited by Head Man