Chick Corea

Milestones

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put it past Chick to not get the "Circle" group back together because that's the one group he hasn't reunited with. Some of my uncle's CD's accidentally made the trip with me in a recent move and he has a lot of GRP stuff, and the stuff that Chick produced like "John Pattitucci" doesn't really hold up that well, it just lacks an edge. GRP stuff I usually see stocked endlessly in used bins, theres only a handful of great GRP releases. I would like to hear Kenny Kirkland's self titled. Jim, what was the appeal of GRP back in the day? I was a was a little kid into jazz then, I never got it the label's appeal then and still don't other than it was all digitally produced and mostly polite shiny smooth stuff.

GRP was the jazz equivalent of mood music. It's as if you took CTI and rubbed off all the sharp edges (!). I worked in a jazz record store when that stuff first came out: Tom Browne, Dave Valentin, Angela Bofill (who wasn't too bad), they all flew off the shelves but were painful to listen to.

GRP was the jazz equivalent of mood music. It's as if you took CTI and rubbed off all the sharp edges (!). I worked in a jazz record store when that stuff first came out: Tom Browne, Dave Valentin, Angela Bofill (who wasn't too bad), they all flew off the shelves but were painful to listen to.

You nailed it there! It was too smooth and trying too hard to appeal to too many people.

Anybody heard the Circle stuff that Chick put out in Japan-only?

For my money, it's knowing the "avant-Chick" that gives the Captain Marvel/1st RTF Chick such a rich context.

I've got all the released stuff by Circle, including the Japanese albums - and a little bit of other nice stuff as well. The two Japanese albums are very good - one is a concert recording of pieces that were also included in the ECM Paris Concert album (from a different concert, of course), and the other is a studio recording of a long improvised piece.

I pretty much love everything by Chick up to the time Circle disbanded. Although I like some of his music after that (and I like some of it a lot), I don't entirely "trust" him after that, if that makes any sense. What I mean is - with most musicians, I have a sense of who they are, musically, and can gauge their level of "commitment" to their vision of what music should be. With Corea, I've got no idea who he really is, and what he thinks music should be.

Of course, that might just be my hangup. Mr. Corea, or anybody else, certainly doesn't have to conform to my ideas.

Edited by jeffcrom

Anybody heard the Circle stuff that Chick put out in Japan-only?

For my money, it's knowing the "avant-Chick" that gives the Captain Marvel/1st RTF Chick such a rich context.

I've got all the released stuff by Circle, including the Japanese albums - and a little bit of other nice stuff as well. The two Japanese albums are very good - one is a concert recording of pieces that were also included in the ECM Paris Concert album (from a different concert, of course), and the other is a studio recording of a long improvised piece.

I pretty much love everything by Chick up to the time Circle disbanded. Although I like some of his music after that (and I like some of it a lot), I don't entirely "trust" him after that, if that makes any sense. What I mean is - with most musicians, I have a sense of who they are, musically, and can gauge their level of "commitment" to their vision of what music should be. With Corea, I've got no idea who he really is, and what he thinks music should be.

Of course, that might just be my hangup. Mr. Corea, or anybody else, certainly doesn't have to conform to my ideas.

Not a hang up. the overarching vision and integrity of a musician as lauded and as ubiquitous as Corea is crucial in any critical discussion beyond an - 'I like this one - I don't like that one' kind of thing.

There is 'eclecticism', or even 'having many strings to your bow', then there is 'Corea' :D

attachicon.gifgpr.jpg

GPR. The label that made CTI look like Hathut.

:rofl: Yeah! True.

I wouldn't put it past Chick to not get the "Circle" group back together because that's the one group he hasn't reunited with.

That's pretty funny. It's a really stupid idea, but I'd buy that album.

Chick tends to be surprising with the kind of groups he configures sometimes. There's been flashes of his free playing days in more recent stuff. Surprised ECM hasn't done a "Circle" box set

Edited by CJ Shearn

attachicon.gifgpr.jpg

GPR. The label that made CTI look like Hathut.

:rofl: Yeah! True.

>

I wouldn't put it past Chick to not get the "Circle" group back together because that's the one group he hasn't reunited with.

That's pretty funny. It's a really stupid idea, but I'd buy that album.

Chick tends to be surprising with the kind of groups he configures sometimes. There's been flashes of his free playing days in more recent stuff. Surprised ECM hasn't done a "Circle" box set

I'd like that, a Circle box!

Just a few weeks ago, I was having a conversation with a friend about a Circle reunion. Why not? What are they waiting for?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Corea's new solo piano album, Portraits, can be heard in full on Spotify. It's available on Amazon US as a quite expensive import and you can preorder a more expensive import; not sure if an official US release is pending (also not showing up on Corea's website yet). I ended up ordering a copy from the same Amazon seller that i ordered the new Jimmy Giuffre double disc from, Avatarmusic. Anyway, it's a nice album. He pays tribute to Monk and Powell, among others. I question the need to include the Children's Songs, but they don't really detract from the album.

No, never been on CD, although i believe some of the material is/was available on the Early Circle CD release (there was some discussion in the Re-issue Wishlist 2014 thread). I want this and Song of Singing, please, Blue Note. I will pay you money.

Edit: I think i got Circulus mixed up with Circling in, in terms of the material that was on the Early Circle CD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circling_In

Edited by xybert

• 10 months later...

Over the last few weeks i've been on a bit of a Chick Corea kick. The kick is winding up now after much listening, and i just wanted to get some thoughts down (and avoid doing some actual work for a bit).

I decided to order the Five Trios box set and the A Week at the Bluenote Origin box set. Previously i'd never thought of these as essential, but if you are a Corea fan i highly recommend getting these boxes.

I was pleasantly surprised by how consistently engaging the Origin box was, despite the multiple repeats of the same songs. Probably still a good idea to check out the single disc which is available separately first. If you sufficiently dig that, get the box (it's worth noting that the recordings on the single disc are not culled from the box so there's no double up).

The Five Trios box set is excellent. I always kind of thought that it would be slightly dispensible and tossed off, 'solid' but uninspired performances of standards. On the contrary the five albums by five different trios all feel highly inspired and are all worthy stand alone Corea albums in their own right. The album with Hadrien Feraud is a fine companion to The Vigil and made me appreciate Feraud's contribution to the Vigil sound much more (would be interesting to hear a Corea/Feraud/Gilmore trio album as Corea has done in the past with the rhythm sections from his larger groups). I won't go on and do reviews of each individual disc but if you're a fan this is all very much essential Corea.

Interestingly, just before the Five Trios box arrived i was listening quite a bit to the early McCoy Tyner trios on Impulse. I was enjoying them so much, but it was quite interesting when i started getting in to the Five Trios box. I think while i was still fresh from basking in the light of Tyner i heard for the first time what some people don't like about Corea's playing. It just sounded kind of 'fruity' compared to Tyner on those early records. Tyner sounded like... don't know how to put it right now but like someone who was kicking arse while Corea sounded like someone with his head in the clouds. Apples and oranges i guess and I acclimatised pretty quickly but it got me thinking and yeah it was quite interesting to me. In the end i get something different from both artists.

Apart from that, may as well document the fact that The Song of Singing is finally being reissued in Japan in June of this year. It can probably be found cheaper elsewhere but new copies of the previous release start at $187.24 on Amazon as of this writing. This is a great opportunity to get this album new at a reasonable price if you're keen.

81NsnOJSKCL._SX355_.jpg

Over the last few weeks i've been on a bit of a Chick Corea kick. The kick is winding up now after much listening, and i just wanted to get some thoughts down (and avoid doing some actual work for a bit).

I decided to order the Five Trios box set and the A Week at the Bluenote Origin box set. Previously i'd never thought of these as essential, but if you are a Corea fan i highly recommend getting these boxes.

I was pleasantly surprised by how consistently engaging the Origin box was, despite the multiple repeats of the same songs. Probably still a good idea to check out the single disc which is available separately first. If you sufficiently dig that, get the box (it's worth noting that the recordings on the single disc are not culled from the box so there's no double up).

The Five Trios box set is excellent. I always kind of thought that it would be slightly dispensible and tossed off, 'solid' but uninspired performances of standards. On the contrary the five albums by five different trios all feel highly inspired and are all worthy stand alone Corea albums in their own right. The album with Hadrien Feraud is a fine companion to The Vigil and made me appreciate Feraud's contribution to the Vigil sound much more (would be interesting to hear a Corea/Feraud/Gilmore trio album as Corea has done in the past with the rhythm sections from his larger groups). I won't go on and do reviews of each individual disc but if you're a fan this is all very much essential Corea.

Interestingly, just before the Five Trios box arrived i was listening quite a bit to the early McCoy Tyner trios on Impulse. I was enjoying them so much, but it was quite interesting when i started getting in to the Five Trios box. I think while i was still fresh from basking in the light of Tyner i heard for the first time what some people don't like about Corea's playing. It just sounded kind of 'fruity' compared to Tyner on those early records. Tyner sounded like... don't know how to put it right now but like someone who was kicking arse while Corea sounded like someone with his head in the clouds. Apples and oranges i guess and I acclimatised pretty quickly but it got me thinking and yeah it was quite interesting to me. In the end i get something different from both artists.

Apart from that, may as well document the fact that The Song of Singing is finally being reissued in Japan in June of this year. It can probably be found cheaper elsewhere but new copies of the previous release start at $187.24 on Amazon as of this writing. This is a great opportunity to get this album new at a reasonable price if you're keen.

81NsnOJSKCL._SX355_.jpg

TOCJ-9572 Happy I have it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2013 at 7:39 AM, hot scotch&lemon said:

I like his experiments with classic music .

His piano concerto especially.  Had the good fortune to hear him perform it live, with the Kansas City Symphony, not too long after its first release.

I'd welcome another, frankly -- and more similar efforts by the likes of, say, Jason Moran (for instance).

Edited by Rooster_Ties