Scofield-Metheny's "I Can See Your House From Here"

Larry Kart

Scofield plays well on the Trio Beyond release, which is a tribute to Tony Williams' Lifetime, alongside Jack DeJohnette and Larry Goldings. I'd be curious about your impressions of his playing here, Larry.

Edited by Aggie87

Scofield plays well on the Trio Beyond release, which is a tribute to Tony Williams' Lifetime, alongside Jack DeJohnette and Larry Goldings. I'd be curious about your impressions of his playing here, Larry.

I don't particularly like (or perhaps that should be trust) the frequency and amount of what might be called "skrontch" (sp?) in his playing here, but there's certainly a good deal of agile thinking involved.

Also, I don't get that cut as a tribute to Lifetime (other than the opening bit) when it comes time to jam, it goes to Meter Land...not that I'll complain about that, although why not go straight to the source and save yourself 8-9 minutes? Time ain't cheap, ya' know.

Also, I don't get that cut as a tribute to Lifetime (other than the opening bit) when it comes time to jam, it goes to Meter Land...not that I'll complain about that, although why not go straight to the source and save yourself 8-9 minutes? Time ain't cheap, ya' know.

Yeah, that cut may not be representative in that sense, the whole album/band was intended as a tribute, I think. I picked that one from youtube because there wasn't a whole lot to pick from.

I'm not a huge fan of Scofield or Metheny, but this album is quite simply fantastic. I was glad I got it when I did because it made me seek out Bill Stewart's Blue Note releases. Which went out of print for around a decade shortly after.

Haven't listened to it for maybe 6-8 years, but will dust it off now. Thanks, Larry!

I'm not a huge fan of Scofield or Metheny, but this album is quite simply fantastic. I was glad I got it when I did because it made me seek out Bill Stewart's Blue Note releases. Which went out of print for around a decade shortly after.

Haven't listened to it for maybe 6-8 years, but will dust it off now. Thanks, Larry!

I'm grateful to those Bill Stewart dates for introducing me to the wonderful pianist Bill Carrothers.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...