David Sanborn's house for sale

brownie

Who says there's no money to be made in jazz..

He made it by quitting jazz.

Ain't that the truth! I respect Sanborn, and he can play, but I never bothered with his records. Apparently millions of folks enjoy his stuff? His bright, abrasive sound makes me wince. I'd rather listen to his idol Hank Crawford if I want to hear some "smooth" stuff.

His current stuff is pretty good and if you get a chance to see him with Joey D on organ, it's a blast. He's playing straight ahead hard bop these days. I guess he made his money off of the smooth stuff and can now go back to the money-losing stuff. You know what they say - "How do you make a million dollars playing Jazz? Start with 2 million." :)

"Sanborn, one of the best R&B saxophonists of all times ..."??

Yikes!

:excited: :excited:

He did play with Paul Butterfield's band. :tophat:

and Little Milton, IIRC, v. early on.

And in a different vein - Gil Evans.

Also for those who are old enough to remember, he had a lot to do with the TV show Night Music.

Yikes!

What I meant to say is - whatever he did - does this qualify him as one of the BEST EVER in that particular idom?

Of all times? Right among the greatest of the great?

Somehow I doubt it.

Just look at all those really great R&B sax men (leaders and session men alike) who came up through the decades.

This sounds more like some PR blurb like they come up with in those "all time great" histories published for the not to historically aware public where out of 100 pages maybe 20 or 30 pages are devoted to whoever was great up to maybe 10 years ago and the remaining 70 or 80 pages are reserved for those who are "great" right now. And this kind of skewed PRESENT-DAY perspective disregards the fact that there were many more who were just as great in THEIR day and who were not forgotten any quicker than those who are perceived to be bigshots now are fairly likely to be forgotten 10 or 15 years from now when their heyday will be over. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Yikes!

What I meant to say is - whatever he did - does this qualify him as one of the BEST EVER in that particular idom?

Of all times? Right among the greatest of the great?

Somehow I doubt it.

Just look at all those really great R&B sax men (leaders and session men alike) who came up through the decades.

This sounds more like some PR blurb like they come up with in those "all time great" histories published for the not to historically aware public where out of 100 pages maybe 20 or 30 pages are devoted to whoever was great up to maybe 10 years ago and the remaining 70 or 80 pages are reserved for those who are "great" right now. And this kind of skewed PRESENT-DAY perspective disregards the fact that there were many more who were just as great in THEIR day and who were not forgotten any quicker than those who are perceived to be bigshots now are fairly likely to be forgotten 10 or 15 years from now when their heyday will be over. ;)

Yeah!!!!

MG

I guess I'm surprised that having a recording studio in his home doesn't violate a zoning ordinance.

I don't think he rents it out for session work, and in the article he mentions having it so well soundproofed that he was able to light off firecrackers without the neighbors hearing it, so I would guess it's OK zoning-wise

I guess I'm surprised that having a recording studio in his home doesn't violate a zoning ordinance.

I don't think he rents it out for session work, and in the article he mentions having it so well soundproofed that he was able to light off firecrackers without the neighbors hearing it, so I would guess it's OK zoning-wise

And hopefully fire proof as well then.