Joe McPhee - Nation Time: The Complete Recordings

• 2 weeks later...

Any satisfied purchasers of this yet?

I've held off as i have enough of it already but I am interested to hear what folk are making of the previously unissued content, Vassar Sessions and the pre-Nation Time concert recordings

I'm more than satisfied - but I didn't have any of the material.

I just got mine last week and finally played "nation time" for the first time; I've actually never heard it before and to be honest it does not knock me out at all. Maybe I have to play his record more but this "free blowing" McPhee period sounds almost a bit pedestrian to me.

I really like his late 70s and 80s group efforts on Hat Art but I just can't get into this or "Black Magic Man". I think the only early efforts I actually enjoy from him are "pieces of light" and "the willisau concert".

But for $42 I think it's a nice set to have and maybe one year I'll have a different opinion on this material!

• 1 month later...

Enjoying this one an awful lot!

Sound isn't great, on the second disc (the Hat album) it's pretty dull really, but show me anything like "Hymn of the Dragon Kings" ... as a whole, this box kinda makes me compare it to the Cleveland tapes in the big Ayler box ... sub-par sound, but some terrific stuff happening and us being allowed to be the fly on the wall of some noisy and funky spots.

Playing disc four now, I notice the line-up given is probably not accuarte, at least for #1-2. There's only one horn player there, I think, McPhee, on tenor (on "Nation Time" and in the first solo on "Untitled") and on trumpet (second solo on "Untitled"). Tyrone Crabb, the bass player, announces the band at the close of "Untitled", and mentions but McPhee (sayting "trumpet" only), Mike Kull (organ) and Bruce Thompson (drums), in addition to himself.

So the line-up given for disc four is the one for #3-6 only. For #1-2 it most likely is:

Joe McPhee, tenor sax, trumpet

Mike Kull, organ

Tyrone Crabb, bass

Bruce Thompson, drums

Too bad such errors happen on such sets ... this is your typical failing major label quality control, it would seem, not a thing to happen with enthusiasts at work.

• 4 weeks later...

The phone # is published in the booklet...I'm thinking of just calling them up and asking hey dudes, whaazup with THIS? I got free long distance.

Well, hey, this actually worked. They picked up on the second ring, told me it was a known issue discovered about three weeks ago, that repressings of the defective disc are in the pipeline, and what's your mailing information, we'll get that to you as soon as they come in.

So - so far, so good.

Just got an email from the Bo' Weavil label which is doing a vinyl-only reissue of Joe McPhee's first four 4 LPs that were originally released on CJR - Underground Railroad, Nation Time, Trinity and Pieces of Light. There'll also be a boxset for collectors - here's a link:

http://www.boweavilrecordings.com/weavil_51_jm.html

Just got an email from the Bo' Weavil label which is doing a vinyl-only reissue of Joe McPhee's first four 4 LPs that were originally released on CJR - Underground Railroad, Nation Time, Trinity and Pieces of Light. There'll also be a boxset for collectors - here's a link:

http://www.boweavilrecordings.com/weavil_51_jm.html

That's very interesting. Does anyone know if they have access to the original CJR master tapes or are they sourcing this from digital files?

I do notice that they are using the now de rigeur exotic wooden box for the set.

• 1 month later...

The phone # is published in the booklet...I'm thinking of just calling them up and asking hey dudes, whaazup with THIS? I got free long distance.

Well, hey, this actually worked. They picked up on the second ring, told me it was a known issue discovered about three weeks ago, that repressings of the defective disc are in the pipeline, and what's your mailing information, we'll get that to you as soon as they come in.

So - so far, so good.

I guess the repressings came in, because I got one in the mail this week. Hooray for phone!