Joe Harriott & Stan Tracey footage

romualdo

Another thanks for posting the video. That's the most Dolphy-esque I've heard Harriott play. I wish he could have had a few more choruses!

Incidentally, after watching the video, one of the "related" videos was The Jimmy Giuffre 3, from 1959, performing "Princess." Also footage I'd never seen.

This clip was part of an Ellington 70th birthday tribute by Stan Tracey & the Big Brass put out by the BBC in 1969/70 - a Dennis Preston 'Lansdowne' production. There are also features on the programme for Ian Carr, Don Rendell, Acker Bilk and a few others. BBC4 have occasionally re-broadcast this programme over the past decade. UK Columbia also put out a 'Big Brass' LP which replicates the content of this show.

It's the only film of Harriott known to exist. He certainly recorded a whole series of shows around this time for HTV West/Harlech TV in Bristol with the 'Indo Jazz Fusions' but they are believed wiped. There's speculation that there is also film footage taken on the Continent (Germany?) but nothing has surfaced to my knowledge to date.

Edited by sidewinder

This clip was part of an Ellington 70th birthday tribute by Stan Tracey & the Big Brass put out by the BBC in 1969/70 - a Dennis Preston 'Lansdowne' production. There are also features on the programme for Ian Carr, Don Rendell, Acker Bilk and a few others. BBC4 have occasionally re-broadcast this programme over the past decade. UK Columbia also put out a 'Big Brass' LP which replicates the content of this show.

It's the only film of Harriott known to exist. He certainly recorded a whole series of shows around this time for HTV West/Harlech TV in Bristol with the 'Indo Jazz Fusions' but they are believed wiped. There's speculation that there is also film footage taken on the Continent (Germany?) but nothing has surfaced to my knowledge to date.

Actually, I've just realised I have an original Australian pressing of this Columbia LP "We Love You Madly…" Don't think it's ever made it to CD

Thanks Sidewinder for the info. I actually have never owned that particular Stan Tracey LP for whatever reason.

It's good - shame that Vocalion or Ten To Ten (Clark Tracey's label) have not put this out on CD. Ownership rights issue, perhaps? The LP is recorded in a studio session at Lansdowne Studio but it covers the same Tracey charts as on the TV show (which was introduced by saxophonist/critic Benny Green).

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks Sidewinder for the info. I actually have never owned that particular Stan Tracey LP for whatever reason.

It's good - shame that Vocalion or Ten To Ten (Clark Tracey's label) have not put this out on CD. Ownership rights issue, perhaps? The LP is recorded in a studio session at Lansdowne Studio but it covers the same Tracey charts as on the TV show (which was introduced by saxophonist/critic Benny Green).

Slight digression here but while on the Harriott topic & unreleased material

Hum Dono - was slated for release by Universal in 2005 (master tapes are probably still in existence?)

[This is what has been posted on the Amancio D'Silva site, maintained by Stephano, for over two years: "Full re-release on CD by Universal music: expected Spring 2005"] Steph is also a guitarist.

http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/joe-harriott-amancio-dsilva-quartet-hum.html

Romaldo - over-taken by events I think. This would have been part of the 'Impressed Repressed' series but Universal Europe canned that one around that time. I've heard nothing definite either way to truly confirm that the master tapes still exist/don't exist. If they do exist, strange that Vocalion (who picked up the reissue baton after Universal) haven't put this one out.

Edited by sidewinder