Mark Turner/Larry Grenadier/Jeff Ballard - Fly

relyles

I just received this disc yesterday and still need to listen to it more closely, but my initial reaction is positive. Mark Turner is probably my favorite of the younger tenor players, but during my first few listens of this disc my attention has primarily been drawn to the varying rhythms and interplay between the trio. I would not describe Turner as a "powerful" tenor or his sound as "big" and sometimes he gets a little lost in the mix between the bass and drums. Grenadier's bass lines are the foundation with Ballard's drums accenting the rhythms while Turner's labyrinthine solos weave through the rest of the group. Interesting stuff so far and a disc that I will probably give repeated listens.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Mark Turner a couple of times this week at Fat Cat in NYC. He was in a quartet and not a trio. His bandmates were: Ben Street on bass; Ethan Iverson on

piano; and Billy Hart on drums.

It was an unusual 3 night mid-week engagement. They were there Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I went on Wednesday night and Thursday night. Fat Cat was very well attended on both nights that I went.

On Wednesday, Street was late so the show did not start until 10:40, despite the fact that the show was I believe was incorrectly advertised to start at 9--Fat Cat usually has a late 10 P.M. start time. However, it was worth the wait. While waiting for Street to arrive the band had a rehearsal session and practised some of the tunes that were later played and "Iverson's Odyessy" from Mark Turner's album "Dharma Days." I only stayed for one set on Wednesday. The band played mostly originals. The band did not call out the tunes, but they started with a blues. That performance disproved allegations that Mark Turner cannot play the blues; he was incredible. They played an Iverson original ballad that I later found out was called "An Unlikely Romeo," and a tune named after Billy Hart's mother, which I believe was called "Ira." Iverson had a trio feature of "These Foolish Things." They played a few other tunes that I do not remember. The set lasted about 75 minutes. Although, I was tempted to stay, I had a really rough day at work and planned to stop by the next day.

On Thursday when I arrived at about 9:20, the band was rehearsing Sonny Rollins' "Airegin" minus Billy Hart who had not arrived. The first set started about 10:20 and was comprised of almost the identical program of tunes from the First set on the previous night. I stayed for the second set in which they played, inter alia, a Hart tune called "Lorca," Wayne Shorter's "Etcetera," "Airegin." The second set ended with an incredible Hart drum solo.

If I ruled the world it would be mandatory that performances of that caliber be recorded for release to the masses a la "Live at the Plugged Nickel." Next time I'm bringing my MD recorder.

Edited by sonnyhill

This will definitely be one of my top 10 of the year. I saw this group last month at the Village Vanguard last month and they were amazing live. They had a deeper "funk" vibe than what was hinted on the album. I hope Mark soon issues a release under his own name on Savoy.

"Dharma Days" is a classic. I put it in the same category as Moran's "Black Stars."

• 2 months later...

When I discovered that this trio was to appear live locally (5/29) I ordered this disc ---- knowing that I would be at the concert and curious as to what these guys were up to. Being a big Turner fan, and liking the other cats as well, it seemed like a no-risk purchase.

At first this recording didn't "click" for me, but after a few more listens I'm liking it a great deal more. My only (relatively minor) beef is that the tunes tend to hang in a similar textural space which I guess I'd describe as reflective/pensive. Though at the rate things are going, this objection may disappear with more exposure.

Greatly looking forward the live experience!

this is a fine release, it's not a knock-em-dead-on-first-hearing disc but it's very persuasive over the longer course which usually means for me that it'll continue to get plenty of play. Interesting to hear a different version of the Reid Anderson composition that appears on his "abolish bad architecture" FSNT disc. Recommended.