It's A Beautiful Day - Live At The Fillmore '68

felser

Got this off Amazon. Haven't watched the DVD yet, but blown away by the CD. The sound is amazing for what it is, an obviously very very fine soundboard recording. Musically, it's seven of the nine cuts from their classic 1969 debut (which to me was the best rock album of 1969, period), and three other, lesser cuts. The cuts from the first album are longer here for the most part, with the seven cuts running about 60 minutes. The full CD runs about 79 minutes. If you loved their debut album, or San Francisco 60's rock, or electic violin (a la, say Sugarcane Harris), don't miss this;

I remember a song called 'Bombay Calling' which Deep Purple ripped off for 'Child In Time'.

Bertrand.

And then It's a Beautiful Day took Deep Purple's "Wring That Neck" and turned it into "Don and Dewey."

Quite the interesting transatlantic cultural exchange there.

I take your point - the fiddle has never really gained ground in the rock world.

In the folk (and folk-rock) world, however, fiddlers often have star status. Much smaller pond, admittedly.

They also seem to do well in the classical world. Maybe it's because they can stand up show off their frocks (and their lithe contours); classical guitarists end up hunched in an awkward position on a chair.

Alison Balsom has made the trumpet a star instrument - though she always looks to me like the most beautiful car mechanic you ever laid eyes on. The trumpet and the frocks just don't match.