Chico Hamilton R.I.P.

ghost of miles

RIP, Chico.

Thanks for giving all those great jazz guitarists (Jim Hall, Howard Roberts, Dennis Budimir, John Pisano, Ed Bickert, Gabor Szabo, Larry Coryell, Cary DeNegris, and others) a gig.

As usual, WKCR is doing a great all day retrospective today; some great music.

Edited by sgcim

Really sad. I saw him a couple of times with Euphoria at the Jazz Bakery, probably 10 years ago now, and those were great shows, with him fully on.

LA Times, obit and story:

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-chico-hamilton-20131127,0,1909788.story#axzz2lrvxctwW

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-jazz-great-chico-hamilton-dies-at-92-20131126,0,333720.story#axzz2lrvxctwW

Its been said many times but the occasion saw him I was amazed at the textures he managed to get out of his drum-kit. Especially his work with mallets. That band I saw had Cary DeNigris and Eric Person was very sympathetic to his aims.

Obituary in today's Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10478648/Chico-Hamilton-obituary.html

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

His last 13 (!) CDs, released since 2006, are all available on cdbaby.com.

I heartily recommend It's About Time!, a trio EP(!) from 2008, with guitarist Cary DeNigris and bassist Paul Ramsey. i was listening to some of his recordings with Dolphy the other day and thinking about what a unique sound that group had. He was such a crisp, swinging and melodic drummer and helped in the development of a lot of musicians over his long career. Thank you for the music, Mr. Hamilton.

His last 13 (!) CDs, released since 2006, are all available on cdbaby.com.

I heartily recommend It's About Time!, a trio EP(!) from 2008, with guitarist Cary DeNigris and bassist Paul Ramsey. i was listening to some of his recordings with Dolphy the other day and thinking about what a unique sound that group had. He was such a crisp, swinging and melodic drummer and helped in the development of a lot of musicians over his long career. Thank you for the music, Mr. Hamilton.

Paul Ramsey is a masterful electric bassist. Cary DeNigris I heard first with Ronald Shannon Jackson (When Colors Play and Texas), and both he and saxophonist Eric Person then joined Chico Hamilton's group and made quite a few very fine recordings (for example, Trio on Soul Note, which is Chico with Cary DeNigris and Eric Person).