Prestige 7000 Series on SHM-CD

ArtSalt

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting interview with the mastering engineer of this series, Paul Blakemoore, working out of Concord Music Group mastering studios here in Cleveland.

http://www.uaudio.com/blog/artist-interview-paul-blakemore/

Here's a portion:

How does mastering jazz differ from other genres, such as rock, pop, and classical?

They’re all very different styles. Jazz, for example, is sort of in between classical and rock. It needs some kind of dynamic range control, but not really aggressive, whereas rock wants much more aggressive dynamic range control to simulate the live, loud-band listening experience. In classical, there’s little (if any) dynamic range control, because one of the key aspects of expression in classical music is the dynamic contrast. The differences between the soft passages and the loud passages play a very important musical function, so you want to maintain those in classical mastering.

You also want to optimize the music for whatever the delivery format is. In jazz you do some dynamic range restriction, but it’s a wider dynamic range than rock. Rock generally has a much more constricted dynamic range.

So you generally aim to keep most jazz fairly open, with its natural dynamics?

Exactly. It also depends on the style of jazz. There are certain kinds of jazz fusion that I do a lot of, because there are a couple of different labels in the label group that do a lot of this sort of contemporary jazz that’s kind of a fusion of pop and rock with jazz. Stylistically, those generally want a greater amount of dynamic range control and a louder overall presentation than a straight-ahead jazz album. But it also depends on the artist, and on the instrumentation. Some of the artists want a more aggressive dynamic range control than others. Some of them want things to really be fairly wide open dynamically. Every project has its own set of puzzles.

Edited by jazzbo

Just discovered these three were released. Sigh. I had to order them.

UCCO-5366 Yusef Lateef / Other Sounds [sHM-CD]
CDA 1800yen Released: 2013/11/20

UCCO-5381 Yusef Lateef / Cry! - Tender [sHM-CD]
CDA 1800yen Released: 2013/12/18

UCCO-5385 Doug Watkins / SOULNIK [sHM-CD]
CDA 1800yen Released: 2013/12/18

i'm approaching reissue atrophy here. i haven't even started on this series, other than to earmark 'outward bound'. i already have many of them on mini lp from a series many years ago... however, i've never had 'conception', which is really a collecting faux pas, so that goes on the list. as does 'hope meets foster', james moody's 'hi fi party' (after all, who doesn't like a hi-fi party....?), maybe the barbara lea (?), and, that's the problem: every single title is really worthy of a place in good collection.

I'm familiar with those sites. Your Japanese is obviously better than mine. ;)

I make these lists for my own benefit. I might as well post them here.

Thanks for the list. I missing rather a lot of these from my collection. I'll be very selective. I've none of the "Mal" titles by Waldron I may content my self with one or two or just accept that I don't need to own these in any format as I can hear them on Spotify.

Every single title is really worthy of a place in good collection.

True. That said, I especially wouldn't want to be without any of the McLean titles. Jackie's work for Prestige/New Jazz unfairly gets overlooked in relation to his output for Blue Note. Makin' The Changes is a particular favorite.

Did anyone else here notice that there's a new UCCO (prefix) reissue line coming out in May? They're not SHM-CDs, however. Later Prestige titles, including Bobby Timmons' session with Wayne Shorter.

I think these are probably re-issues of titles in the Jazz The Best series. These feature Japanese DSD remastering from 2007. Selected titles are put out there again each year in limited editions. Dolphy's Five Spot Vol.2 was last re-issued as UCCO-90079 in 2012, now it is given UCCO-90248. This mastering was first released in 2007 as UCCO-5047. That last code is actually in the matrix ring of UCCO-90079.

Bobby Timmon's The Soul Man! released as UCCO-9932 in 2010, now it's given UCCO-90265.

Eric Dolphy's Memorial Album UCCO-9307 in 2008, now UCCO-90254.

With the recent Coltrane SHM series, Universal Japan re-released four titles in the Jazz The Best series at the same time. These featured the over a decade old K2 remastering.

Note that Five Spot Vol.1 is not scheduled for re-release in May. This might actually indicate it is about to be re-issued as an SHM instead, since it is part of the New Jazz 8200 series, NJ 8260. Five Spot Vol.2 and Memorial Album are part of the Prestige 7200 (7294) and 7300 (7334) series respectively, and so still some time off as SHMs.

Edited by erwbol

i'm approaching reissue atrophy here. i haven't even started on this series, other than to earmark 'outward bound'. i already have many of them on mini lp from a series many years ago... however, i've never had 'conception', which is really a collecting faux pas, so that goes on the list. as does 'hope meets foster', james moody's 'hi fi party' (after all, who doesn't like a hi-fi party....?), maybe the barbara lea (?), and, that's the problem: every single title is really worthy of a place in good collection.

Same here. I had got a lot from these mini lp K2 series from 2006/07. Then I supplemented them with some from the DSD mini lps series (e.g. Sonny Rollins 4). I also ordered Conception and will do a quick comparison with the old OJC. I am far more tempted by these Prestige SHMs than with the BN ones.

I've been spinning the Miles Davis and Milt Jackson Quartet/Quintet SHM-CD a lot since it arrived and really really digging it. The two Bennie Green SHM-CDs are also excellent. This is a great series, and I have to stop buying discs for a while, or I'd be all over these. I hope they hang around for a while.

In this case the mastering is really making a difference, the "super hard material" may be making a bit of a difference, but the mastering is the reason to buy these imo. I like the mastering on the new Blue Note cds as well, but the improvements on these new Prestige masterings seems a bit larger to me. And interestingly in the case of the Blu-Spec 2 cds I've bought using masterings I have on regular cd, the Blu-Spec material and pressing method seem to have really had an impact as these sound improved, quite noticeably to me on my system, with the same materings.

I have the Lateef Prestige SHM-CDs in the mail to me, looking forward to them!

I've been spinning the Miles Davis and Milt Jackson Quartet/Quintet SHM-CD a lot since it arrived and really really digging it. The two Bennie Green SHM-CDs are also excellent. This is a great series, and I have to stop buying discs for a while, or I'd be all over these. I hope they hang around for a while.

In this case the mastering is really making a difference, the "super hard material" may be making a bit of a difference, but the mastering is the reason to buy these imo. I like the mastering on the new Blue Note cds as well, but the improvements on these new Prestige masterings seems a bit larger to me. And interestingly in the case of the Blu-Spec 2 cds I've bought using masterings I have on regular cd, the Blu-Spec material and pressing method seem to have really had an impact as these sound improved, quite noticeably to me on my system, with the same materings.

I have the Lateef Prestige SHM-CDs in the mail to me, looking forward to them!

How do the Bennie Green's compare to his BN dates. ?