Record Store Day BN Treat, BN1 and BN2 reissue!

brownie

From a Blue Note story on Business Wire this week:

For Record Store Day in April, Blue Note will also reissue the label’s first two releases as limited edition 12” vinyl: Meade “Lux” Lewis “Melancholy”/”Solitude” (BN1) and Albert Ammons “Boogie Woogie Stomp”/”Boogie Woogie Blues” (BN2). Other catalog releases, including a 75-track digital bundle spanning Blue Note’s entire history, will be announced shortly;

The full artisle/press release:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140226005402/en/Blue-Note-Records-Continues-75th-Anniversary-Celebrations#.Uw8NTrRUO3M

wish I could grab these two special reissues someplace, but I know of but one shop joining these silly RSD procedures here and I have no idea if they bother about jazz at all ...

there's also this:

BLUE NOTE RECORDS 75th ANNIVERSARY VINYL INITIATIVE

Blue Note will commence an extensive 100-album vinyl reissue initiative on March 25 with the release of five classic titles (Art Blakey Free For All, John Coltrane Blue Train, Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch, Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil, and Larry Young Unity). The vinyl releases are set to continue monthly and will also include modern classics from Blue Note’s recent catalog such as Joe Lovano Quartets: Live At The Village Vanguard, Jason Moran Soundtrack To Human Motion, Terence Blanchard Flow, Medeski Martin & Wood Combustication, and Cassandra Wilson Traveling Miles. Click here for the full list of vinyl releases.

Blue Note President Don Was says, “Two years ago, we began remastering the jewels of the Blue Note catalog in hi-def resolutions of 96k and 192k. In order to develop a guiding artistic philosophy for this delicate endeavor, we donned our lab coats, ran dozens of sonic experiments and carefully referenced every generation of our reissues. Ultimately, we decided that our goal would be to protect the original intentions of the artists, producers and engineers who made these records and that, in the case of pre-digital-era albums, these intentions were best represented by the sound and feel of their first-edition vinyl releases. Working with a team of dedicated and groovy engineers, we found a sound that both captured the feel of the original records while maintaining the depth and transparency of the master tapes... the new remasters are really cool!

While these new versions will become available in digital hi-def, CD and Mastered for iTunes formats, the allure of vinyl records is WAY too potent to ignore. This year, Blue Note - along with our friends at Universal Music Enterprises - is launching a major 75th Anniversary vinyl Initiative that is dedicated to the proposition that our catalog should be readily available at a low cost, featuring high quality pressings and authentic reproductions of Blue Note's iconic packaging. Although this program begins in celebration of Blue Note's 75th Anniversary, our catalog runs so deep that we will faithfully be reissuing five albums a month for many years to come!”

[...]

For Record Store Day in April, Blue Note will also reissue the label’s first two releases as limited edition 12” vinyl: Meade “Lux” Lewis “Melancholy”/”Solitude” (BN1) and Albert Ammons “Boogie Woogie Stomp”/”Boogie Woogie Blues” (BN2). Other catalog releases, including a 75-track digital bundle spanning Blue Note’s entire history, will be announced shortly.

http://www.bluenote.com/news/blue-note-announces-75th-anniversary-vinyl-in

AVAILABLE MARCH 25, 2014

ART BLAKEY - FREE FOR ALL

WAYNE SHORTER - SPEAK NO EVIL

JOHN COLTRANE - BLUE TRAIN

ERIC DOLPHY - OUT TO LUNCH

LARRY YOUNG - UNITY

AVAILABLE APRIL 22, 2014

ORNETTE COLEMAN - AT THE "GOLDEN CIRCLE" STOCKHOLM, VOL. 1

HERBIE HANCOCK - MAIDEN VOYAGE

SONNY ROLLINS - A NIGHT AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD

CANNONBALL ADDERLEY - SOMETHIN' ELSE

DEXTER GORDON - OUR MAN IN PARIS

AVAILABLE MAY 27, 2014

Horace Silver - Song For My Father

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

Grant Green - Idle Moments

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Madlib - Shades Of Blue

AVAILABLE JUNE 24, 2014

Dexter Gordon - Go

Lee Morgan - Cornbread

Bobby Hutcherson - Total Eclipse

Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack

Medeski Martin & Wood - Combustication

AVAILABLE JULY 29, 2014

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd

Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe

Cassandra Wilson - Traveling Miles

Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban

AVAILABLE AUGUST 26, 2014

Lou Donaldson - Lush Life

Bud Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 1

Wayne Shorter - Juju

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child

Terence Blanchard - Flow

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 30, 2014

Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At

Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie

Brian Blade Fellowship - Perceptual

AVAILABLE OCTOBER 28, 2014

Horace Silver - Horace Silver and The Jazz Messengers

The Three Sounds - Out Of This World

Dianne Reeves - I Remember

Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music, Vol. 1

AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 25, 2014

Curtis Fuller - The Opener

Joe Lovano Quartets: Live At The Village Vanguard

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now

Clifford Brown - Memorial Album

AVAILABLE DECEMBER 30, 2014

Andrew Hill - Black Fire

Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring

Anthony Williams - Spring

Grant Green - Street Of Dreams

Bobby McFerrin - Spontaneous Inventions

AVAILABLE JANUARY 27, 2015

Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles

Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple

Art Blakey - Mosaic

Jason Moran - Soundtrack To Human Motion

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 24, 2015

Don Cherry - Complete Communion

Elvin Jones - The Ultimate

Robert Glasper - Double Booked

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music, Vol. 2

Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time

AVAILABLE MARCH 24, 2015

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer

Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits

Kurt Elling - Flirting With Twilight

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution

Sonny Rollins Vol. 1

AVAILABLE APRIL 28, 2015

Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner

Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues

McCoy Tyner - Time For Tyner

Joe Henderson - The State of the Tenor - Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!

AVAILABLE MAY 26, 2015

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land

Medeski Martin & Wood - End Of The World Party

Art Blakey - A Night A Birdland, Vol. 1

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Grant Green - I Want To Hold Your Hand

AVAILABLE JUNE 30, 2015

Donald Byrd - A New Perspective

Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter

Hank Mobley - The Turnaround

Bud Powell - The Scene Changes: The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 5

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

AVAILABLE JULY 28, 2015

Miles Davis Vol. 1

Tina Brooks -True Blue

Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure

Joe Henderson - Page One

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing

AVAILABLE AUGUST 25, 2015

Donald Byrd - At The Half Note Café, Vol. 1

Art Blakey - A Night A Birdland, Vol. 2

Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point!

Sonny Clark - Leapin' and Lopin'

Stefon Harris - Black Action Figure

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 29, 2015

Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away

Miles Davis Vol. 2

McCoy Tyner - Expansions

Art Blakey - Moanin'

John Scofield - Time On My Hands

AVAILABLE OCTOBER 27, 2015

Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special

Sonny Rollins Vol. 2

Hank Mobley - Workout

Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings

Joe Lovano - Rush Hour

**Release Dates Are Subject To Change**

Edited by king ubu

Why? If they're nicely produced LPs like the Connoisseurs from the mid/late 90s, and if they don't ask crazy prices like those collector's rip-off hi-end 350 gram vinyl labels reissuing every track on a separate 7" at 78 rpm or some such ... I might actually be in for a few favourites on vinyl.

Anyway, obviously they could try and get back into documenting at least *some* new stuff, but hey, the NoJo days have gone and come and BN hasn't been what it was for quite a while.

In reading the list, I'm struck by how many titles I own in various forms. Unless they release some rarities or curiosities, I'll continue my current focus on other labels. Still, the BN titles are great music, and we shouldn't overlook the value of their being available to a new generation of listeners. I also hope this helps debilitate "Doxy" and other bootleg labels currently issuing these on vinyl from who-knows-what sources.

Edited by mjzee

I simply fail to see what makes these different from anything. Some of these titles have been done on HQ CD by Acoustic Sounds and EMI Japan and vinyl by Music Matters, Heavenly Sweetness, and (yes, I know) Scorpio in just the last 3 years. I bet these run close to $30 and offer what exactly beyond what exists? Unless you really want to drop real $$ on a a Stefon Harris album you could get on CD for 50 cents....

Did I miss something? Are these going to be 78 rpm? If so, I might buy them though I have the real originals.

For Record Store Day in April, Blue Note will also reissue the label’s first two releases as limited edition 12” vinyl: Meade “Lux” Lewis “Melancholy”/”Solitude” (BN1) and Albert Ammons “Boogie Woogie Stomp”/”Boogie Woogie Blues” (BN2).

Did I miss something? Are these going to be 78 rpm? If so, I might buy them though I have the real originals.

For Record Store Day in April, Blue Note will also reissue the label’s first two releases as limited edition 12” vinyl: Meade “Lux” Lewis “Melancholy”/”Solitude” (BN1) and Albert Ammons “Boogie Woogie Stomp”/”Boogie Woogie Blues” (BN2).

I wonder, too ... that phrase just makes little sense ... I guess it might actually just be ONE record, then bloated to 12" because .... well, why anyway, because it's silly heavy duty vinyl and running at 45 rpm probably. I don't quite get it.