• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if you go with the Carbon, this looks like a fun upgrade:

31QH2LE9drL.jpg

Acrylic Platter Upgrade for Debut III or Debut Carbon

My thinking now is that I want everything to be made by the same company - so if I go with the Pro-Ject Carbon, I will also go with the Pro-Ject Acryl-It platter.

I also prefer to buy everything from the same retailer. I have been planning to go with Amazon because I currently have a greater Amazon gift card balance than bank account balance!

However, Amazon says that they are out of stock of the platter, and don't know if they will ever carry it again. However, it is available from other retailers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-ACRYLIT-Acryl-It-Platter-Upgrade/dp/B0097CY4NQ?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=cameltracker-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0097CY4NQ

http://www.bing.com/search?q=pro-ject+acryl-it+platter&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

Any thoughts?

Michael, I've never bought anything from Crutchfield before, but for some reason I got on their mailing list many years ago. As I recall, don't/didn't they also sell car radios?

Anyway, if Amazon doesn't get the platter, since you recommend them I'll go with Crutchfield.

Edited by GA Russell

Crutchfield may be one of the most reliable online retailers in existence. In the audio/music world they and Musician's Friend are rulers of the roost, and for very good reason. Their customer service is second to none, and when you order something from them it's seemingly on your doorstep the second you click "purchase".

Agreed about Crutchfield. My Pro-Ject turntable was the first (and thus far the only) thing I've bought from them, and it was a pleasant experience. I'm always leery about dealing with electronic retailers because they always seem to "hard sell" you; Crutchfield wasn't like that at all. Very helpful, and I like their website and the info there (including the user forums).

Count me as another very satisfied Crutchfield customer. I was in the market for a new AV receiver earlier this year (my old one didn't have HDMI inputs/outputs and I needed one that could do HDMI switching), but after much research I realized that the model I was interested in had recently been discontinued, and supplies had dried up almost everywhere. I found a significantly-discounted B-stock unit (with a full warranty) at Crutchfield's outlet store and ordered it immediately. I wound up getting a Square Trade extended warranty for it, also through Crutchfield, and have been very happy with it since then.

Their customer service really is peerless. If it came down to a choice between Crutchfield and Amazon and the price was pretty close between the two, I'd pick Crutchfield without hesitation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm happy to see that Amazon now has the Acryl-It platter back in stock. However, now it doesn't matter because I've spent much of my Amazon gift card balance on Christmas presents!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097CY4NQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RVSBV717YT9&coliid=IYYASBANK870V

OK, here we go again.

Amazon is out of stock for the Acryl-It platter, but Crutchfield expects to get it in on 5/29.

Crutchfield is offering it for $129. Is that OK or high? I thought it would be about $100.

Finally, is there any need to upgrade the cartridge of the Pro-ject? If so, what would you recommend that would be an obvious improvement, but not too good for the Debut Carbon?

I'm happy to see that Amazon now has the Acryl-It platter back in stock. However, now it doesn't matter because I've spent much of my Amazon gift card balance on Christmas presents!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097CY4NQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RVSBV717YT9&coliid=IYYASBANK870V

OK, here we go again.

Amazon is out of stock for the Acryl-It platter, but Crutchfield expects to get it in on 5/29.

Crutchfield is offering it for $129. Is that OK or high? I thought it would be about $100.

Finally, is there any need to upgrade the cartridge of the Pro-ject? If so, what would you recommend that would be an obvious improvement, but not too good for the Debut Carbon?

Really, they're getting it in? I've had one on back order from Audio Advisor for, like, forever, so it'll be interesting if they ship. $129 is the new going rate. I haven't upgraded the cartridge.

I checked the Tizo Acryl website and they now carry an acrylic platter for the Debut. They have a clear one and a black one. I much prefer the look of the black one. The price is 91.50 Euros, but you have to subtract the 19% VAT to get the price for a US customer. At the current exchange rate, that makes it ~$75. Back in 2011, shipping was 28 Euros ($30.84 today).

BTW, I just compared the specs and it appears that the Tizo Acryl platter is actually lighter than the Pro-Ject Acryl-It. Tizo's platter is 1070 grams and the Pro-Ject platter is 1300 grams. So the Tizo platter will not be a problem for the Debut's motor.

OK, here we go again.

Really, they're getting it in? I've had one on back order from Audio Advisor for, like, forever, so it'll be interesting if they ship. $129 is the new going rate. I haven't upgraded the cartridge.

Megosh! I got a shipping notice today! I'll let you know if it's drool-worthy, or more like chrome bumpers.

Edited by mjzee

I bought the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB table a few months ago and am a happy camper. I did add a Shure cartridge so I could play my 78s.

LOL! Now Amazon has Chuck's table on sale for $219.99. I'm going to have to think about this.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

I bought the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB table a few months ago and am a happy camper. I did add a Shure cartridge so I could play my 78s.

LOL! Now Amazon has Chuck's table on sale for $219.99. I'm going to have to think about this.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

That's a pretty incredible price.

OK, here we go again.

Megosh! I got a shipping notice today! I'll let you know if it's drool-worthy, or more like chrome bumpers.

I got the platter. It looks pretty good. Sounds good, too, though I did no comparisons with the old platter.

IMG_1169.jpg

My thanks to all who contributed their input!

I've been saving up my Amazon gift certificates for two years, and I just had enough to cover it. Now I'll see if I can soon find enough for the acrylic platter.

By the way, the deciding factor was that wirecutter said that the Pro-Ject has the capability of handling an upgraded cartridge.