ENJA Japanese Reissues

dougcrates

The Japanese label, SOLID, is starting an ENJA reissue campaign now that they have completed the Bethlehem catalog.

Phase 1 will be available April 23rd at all the Japanese hotspots. Dusty Groove does not have any of these listed as forthcoming.

I don't know anything about this label or the quality of their output but some of these titles (Elvin Jones, Hal Galper) sound good.

Akio Sasajima - Humpty Dumpty
Archie Shepp - Soul Song
Art Farmer - In Concert
Art Taylor - Mr. A.T.
Arthur Blythe - Retroflection: Live At The Village Vanguard
Atilla Zoller - Common Cause
Bennie Wallace - In Berlin
Bennie Wallace - Someone To Watch Over Me
Benny Bailey - Island
Bob Degan - Chartreuse
Charlie Rouse - Upper Manhattan Jazz Society
Chet Baker - My Favorite Songs - The Last Great Concert Vol. 1
Chet Baker - My Favorite Songs - The Last Great Concert Vol. 2
Coleman Hawkins - Supreme
Dollar Brand - Banyana
Double Image
Elvin Jones - Youngblood
Franco Ambrosetti - Close Encounter
Gil Evans - Blues In Orbit
Hal Galper - Speak With A Single Voice
Herb Geller - Birdland Stomp
Kenny Barron - Live At Fat Tuesdays
Kenny Barron - What If
Mal Waldron - Moods
Masahiko Sato - Trinity
McCoy Tyner - Remembering John
New York Jazz Quartet - Oasis
Tommy Flanagan - Let's Play The Music Of Thad Jones
Walter Norris - Drifting
Yamashita Yosuke - Inner Space

Thanks for the heads up. The last few batches of Bethlehem from Solid have shown me that if you want these titles, pre-order them from Japan and you'll get them. You might not otherwise. . . . I've pre-ordered the Zoller, Shepp, Flanagan, Hawkins and Rouse.

The Japanese label, SOLID, is starting an ENJA reissue campaign now that they have completed the Bethlehem catalog.

Phase 1 will be available April 23rd at all the Japanese hotspots. Dusty Groove does not have any of these listed as forthcoming.

I don't know anything about this label or the quality of their output but some of these titles (Elvin Jones, Hal Galper) sound good.

Hal Galper`s live outing "Speak with a single Voice", featuring the same players as the great "Reach Out" (also on Enja), is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hal Galper`s live outing "Speak with a single Voice", featuring the same players as the great "Reach Out" (also on Enja), is excellent.

I thought "Reach Out" was on Steeplechase....and yes, it's a very nice album.

I thought "Reach Out" was on Steeplechase....and yes, it's a very nice album.

My bad - of course you`re right, "Reach out" was a Steeplechase release.

Got the recent japanese Reissue - the sound for a live recording to my ears is decent (but never had the LP to compare) - with the original Coverart....compared to the LP there is one additional solo piano track, but another track namely "Children of the Night", having been part of the same titled CD released in 2000 from "Double Time", is missing - could probably a knowledgeable boardmember comment on the 2000 release ?

Edited by soulpope

Boy there are a bunch of old oop Enja titles I'd like to see surface again including the Attila Zoller Leverkusener date, the Roy Brooks Duets record and the Simon Nabatov to name three. I really love Galper's "Ivory Forest" with a terrific "Monk's Mood" solo out of John Scofield.

"Mal Waldron - Moods" is tremendous.

Not sure what format it will be in - it was originally a 2 LP; it re-emerged as a single disc with some tracks shifted onto another CD ('One-Upmanship).

Another similar Waldron enja ("Hard Talk") from around that same time is also excellent. With Manfred Schoof (cornet) and Steve Lacy from 1974, highly recommended.

But back to the sextet tracks from "Moods" -- special mention goes to trombonist Hermann Breuer who (at least on this recording) has one of THE most exciting, aggressive tones I think I've ever heard on his instrument. Really something special, and a name I don't know otherwise.

Yamashita Yosuke - Inner Space

Masahiko Sato - Trinity

I received these two. Sound wise both are fine but perhaps a little forceful , which I take as a sign of loudness. The music is excellent

Does the Sato have a bonus track?

I'm thinking of buying this one but only if it has extra material not on the original LP. My album is a mint Japanese Enja pressing so I don't really want to bother otherwise!

"Mal Waldron - Moods" is tremendous.

Not sure what format it will be in - it was originally a 2 LP; it re-emerged as a single disc with some tracks shifted onto another CD ('One-Upmanship).

Another similar Waldron enja ("Hard Talk") from around that same time is also excellent. With Manfred Schoof (cornet) and Steve Lacy from 1974, highly recommended.

But back to the sextet tracks from "Moods" -- special mention goes to trombonist Hermann Breuer who (at least on this recording) has one of THE most exciting, aggressive tones I think I've ever heard on his instrument. Really something special, and a name I don't know otherwise.

"Hard Talk", "One Upmanship", and "Moods" are all absolutely brilliant and must-haves in my opinion! Lacy and Waldron always sound beautiful together and all 3 of these records sound amazing too...just last week I was playing a Japanese pressing of "Hard Talk" on RCA Victor/Enja that just sounded incredible on my turntable...

• 3 weeks later...

Another installment of japanese Enja Reissues is looming ahead as of July 16th, 2014 (see bottom of the page btw following page):

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/newrelease/jazz/index.html?month=2014-07&media=&current=0&step=40

Here they are in alphabetical order:

Franco Ambrosetti - Heartbop
Franco Ambrosetti - Live At The Blue Note
Ray Anderson - Old Bottles - New Wine
Chet Baker - The Legacy Vol.1
Kenny Barron - Quickstep
Roy Brooks - Duet In Detroit
Antonio Farao - Black Inside
David Friedman - Futures Passed
Hal Galper - Dreamsville
Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band - The River Is Deep
Dusko Goykovich - Soul Connection
Dusko Goykovich - Balkan Connection
Fred Hersch - Point In Time
Elvin Jones - When I Was At Aso - Mountain
Lee Konitz - Strings For Holiday
Kevin Mahogany - Double Rainbow
Albert Mangelsdorff - Masahiko Sato - Spontaneous
Simon Nabatov Trio - Tough Customer
Mike Nock - Talisman
Makaya Ntshoko - Makaya & Tsotsis
Heinz Sauer - Cherry Bat
Stephen Scott - Vision Quest
Jeremy Steig - Eddie Gomez - Outlaws
John Stubblefield - Countin' On The Blues
Cecil Taylor - Dark To Themselves
Clark Terry - Red Mitchell - To Duke And Basie
Mal Waldron with Steve Lacy - One - Upmanship
Bennie Wallace - Plays Monk
Bobby Watson - Advance
Attila Zoller - Conjunction
Some nice looking titles here. I already have the Roy Brooks, Bobby Watson, Heinz Sauer & Bennie Wallace albums and can recommend them.
Can anyone recommend (or otherwise) any other titles?

Another installment of japanese Enja Reissues is looming ahead as of July 16th, 2014 (see bottom of the page btw following page):

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/newrelease/jazz/index.html?month=2014-07&media=&current=0&step=40

Here they are in alphabetical order:

Franco Ambrosetti - Heartbop
Franco Ambrosetti - Live At The Blue Note
Ray Anderson - Old Bottles - New Wine
Chet Baker - The Legacy Vol.1
Kenny Barron - Quickstep
Roy Brooks - Duet In Detroit
Antonio Farao - Black Inside
David Friedman - Futures Passed
Hal Galper - Dreamsville
Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band - The River Is Deep
Dusko Goykovich - Soul Connection
Dusko Goykovich - Balkan Connection
Fred Hersch - Point In Time
Elvin Jones - When I Was At Aso - Mountain
Lee Konitz - Strings For Holiday
Kevin Mahogany - Double Rainbow
Albert Mangelsdorff - Masahiko Sato - Spontaneous
Simon Nabatov Trio - Tough Customer
Mike Nock - Talisman
Makaya Ntshoko - Makaya & Tsotsis
Heinz Sauer - Cherry Bat
Stephen Scott - Vision Quest
Jeremy Steig - Eddie Gomez - Outlaws
John Stubblefield - Countin' On The Blues
Cecil Taylor - Dark To Themselves
Clark Terry - Red Mitchell - To Duke And Basie
Mal Waldron with Steve Lacy - One - Upmanship
Bennie Wallace - Plays Monk
Bobby Watson - Advance
Attila Zoller - Conjunction
Some nice looking titles here. I already have the Roy Brooks, Bobby Watson, Heinz Sauer & Bennie Wallace albums and can recommend them.
Can anyone recommend (or otherwise) any other titles?

If you don`t have these, Mal Waldron+Steve Lacy "One-Upmanship" is excellent..........."The River is Deep" catches the early incarnation of Jerry Gonzalez&The Fort Apache Band during their performance at the Jazzfest Berlin 1982 in all their glory and roughness and brings to light inter alias great "latinized" versions of "Bebop" and "Parisian Thoroughfare" feat the fiery pianist Jorge Dalto....Simon Nabatov`s "Tough Customer" is a decent piano trio recording feat. Mark Helias on bass...

Edited by soulpope

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...