New Blue Note (Universal) U.S. Series

Coltrane would have Blue Train, A Blowin Session (Johnny Griffin) Sonny's Crib (Sonny's Crib), and Whims of Chambers (Paul Chambers), I guess. Anything else come to mind? I guess the Paul Chambers transition sessions and the live Monk session if they want to include those.

Coltrane would have Blue Train, A Blowin Session (Johnny Griffin) Sonny's Crib (Sonny's Crib), and Whims of Chambers (Paul Chambers), I guess. Anything else come to mind? I guess the Paul Chambers transition sessions and the live Monk session if they want to include those.

Probably not going to include Blue Train.

How many discs in these sets?

Any sign of a Complete 3 sounds?

Or a complete Les McCann PJ set?

MG

The Miles set is two discs, Coltrane and Brownie are both three.

These are not budget priced.

I don't understand who they think is going to buy these. Not like the music they contain is hard to find.

Indeed. I'm not going to and I have hardly any of it. All right for eighteen year old jazzfanzz - if there are such things.

MG

I'd love it if Universal would concentrate on new masterings and collecitons of the first fifteen years of Blue Note.

That is what I would MOST like to see done with the catalog. 21st century masterings of the blues, swing and early bop sessions.

not-bloody-likely.jpg

I'd love it if Universal would concentrate on new masterings and collecitons of the first fifteen years of Blue Note.

That is what I would MOST like to see done with the catalog. 21st century masterings of the blues, swing and early bop sessions.

not-bloody-likely.jpg

oh yes, absolutely! :wub:

Me too. Maybe revive the RVG series?

Re The Three Sounds again I wonder if the addition of the non-BN material would make it a less samey proposition for Mosaic. It's annoying that the one company that might do a set like this is run by a man with such a strange prejudice against it.

Re The Three Sounds again I wonder if the addition of the non-BN material would make it a less samey proposition for Mosaic. It's annoying that the one company that might do a set like this is run by a man with such a strange prejudice against it.

What, a "prejudice" that it won't sell and they'll lose money on the deal? Cuscuna digs the Three Sounds, but he knows that they won't sell a lick... and I'd imagine the bigger the box the less likely folks will want to shell out the cash for it.

I'd buy it for sure (even though I have all of their BN work that's been released here in the US and in the JRVG series), as would many/most on this board. So there's a good 50 sales, tops. Who else is going to buy the other 4950 sets?

The Miles title just dropped on eMusic (see http://www.emusic.com/album/miles-davis/take-off-the-complete-blue-note-albums/14932109/). At least the material is presented intelligently: the 3 sessions are presented chronologically, with the alternates at the end. Much preferable to the RVG, which had the first and third session on one disc, leaving the second session for the other.

What, a "prejudice" that it won't sell and they'll lose money on the deal? Cuscuna digs the Three Sounds, but he knows that they won't sell a lick... and I'd imagine the bigger the box the less likely folks will want to shell out the cash for it.

I'd buy it for sure (even though I have all of their BN work that's been released here in the US and in the JRVG series), as would many/most on this board. So there's a good 50 sales, tops. Who else is going to buy the other 4950 sets?

OK, if he thinks it won't sell, I don't blame him for being cautious. All I've heard is that he thinks the sessions lack variety.

Amazon just posted more information on the Coltrane package. It sounds interesting:

Blue Note Records, the world's most respected and longest-running Jazz label, is being commemorated for its 75th Anniversary throughout 2014 and beyond with a broad range of special releases and events. Blue Note is pleased to announce a new Blue Note Select collection entitled Sideman: Trane's Blue Note Sessions. A collection of the legendary saxophonist's sideman sessions for Blue Note Records from 1956-1957, when Coltrane was a regular member of the Miles Davis Quintet and played with pianist Thelonious Monk. This set, conceived by former Blue Note Records president Bruce Lundvall, marks the first time Coltrane's sideman sessions for Blue Note have been collected in one place; albums include recordings led by Paul Chambers (Chambers' Music, a.k.a. High Step, and Whims of Chambers), Johnny Griffin (A Blowing Session) and Sonny Clark (Sonny's Crib). The entire set will be in original Blue Note mono, with the mono version of Clark's album on CD for the first time. The book-style package includes a 34-page booklet with an essay by author and educator Ashley Kahn, and other elements as noted.

I agree ... still I find that "first time on CD" crap appalling and tiresome. But yeah, it's of course good to know something is still in the making, but frankly I've little hopes. Wouldn't one think the entire NoJo success could have been used to cross-finance some other stuff? Instead they laid off the few remaining artists they had in their shrinking roster and started doing what ... Willie Nelson and Wynton M? I never understood that, but I guess that's how the corporate world works - have success once, even if unexpected, absolutely need to duplicate that - or else fold.

I never got the mono/stereo thing ... why would they do CD reissues of music in stereo when the stuff back then was listened to in mono? Because sometimes in the sixties and seventies everyone started believing stereo was better and when teh CD was introduced in the eighties, no one dared double-guessing that and going "back" to mono?

I don't have 2 of the 4 albums on the Coltrane. I went back and forth for a long time as to whether to buy the Paul Chambers Mosaic Select just to get Chambers' Music. So I may get this set; depends on how low the price drops.