Who misses the days.

Hardbopjazz

When you could walk into a audio store and have a myriad of stereo equipment to choose from. I'm in the market for a new receiver. I use to like to walk into a store and get to try out several different models. Even the chain stores today only seem to be selling stereo equipment for computers and mainly compact size speakers.

I even miss Crazy Eddie's.

I've got to wax nostalgic about "my" old audio shop, Audio Atlanta. The owner was someone I entirely trusted as someone who wanted to meet my needs, not just make a sale. As a matter of fact, on several occasions he convinced me to "spend down." I called him once, ready to buy a new turntable. He asked me what I had, and when I described my 30-year-old table, he said, "You don't want to get rid of that. Bring it in and I'll give it my $60 (it may have been $40) turntable tune-up." On another occasion, I had some Tannoy speakers picked out, and he asked some questions about my listening space. After I answered, he said, "You don't need those - get the next size smaller." Which I did. And he he had a sale of about $150 less.

He earned my trust and loyalty. And of course, his store went out of business.

I miss the guys who used to sell the "fell off a truck" electronics in my old neighborhood. But yes, I can relate to the loss of retailers too. Like so many things, people are buying so much online, that bricks and mortar is a losing business model...in addition to the "technological advances".

When I lived in south Florida there was an audio store called IIRC Sound Components. I loved it there because the owner and employees were music fans first, equipment second. The owner even recorded and produced a number of classical records. I couldn't afford their top of the line stuff but I still use the electronics bought there (mark levinson). They opened a store in Pompano and they rewired my Magnaplanars, originally bought in 1982, and they continue to sound fine. These kind of brick and mortar stores don't exist anymore with the emphasis on home theater, etc.

When you could walk into a audio store and have a myriad of stereo equipment to choose from. I'm in the market for a new receiver. I use to like to walk into a store and get to try out several different models. Even the chain stores today only seem to be selling stereo equipment for computers and mainly compact size speakers.

Don't you live in or near Manhattan? There are no audio stores there? What about the Stereo Exchange, Park Avenue Audio, B&H, Adorama, In Living Stereo, the Harman Store, Lyric Hi-Fi, not to mention several Best Buy locations? I agree there are fewer choices these days, but it would appear that people like you and I still have some places to go when we're in the market for stereo/av equipment.

Don't you live in or near Manhattan? There are no audio stores there? What about the Stereo Exchange, Park Avenue Audio, B&H, Adorama, In Living Stereo, the Harman Store, Lyric Hi-Fi, not to mention several Best Buy locations? I agree there are fewer choices these days, but it would appear that people like you and I still have some places to go when we're in the market for stereo/av equipment.

Very few, and what is being sold is for computers and TV systems. B&H has stereo equipment, but not a big selection any more. Best Buy doesn't have anything that's not computer or TV related. I will have to check out the others you mentioned.