Advice on new laptop: MacBook or other?

I need to buy a new laptop. I need something very light that I can take to libraries make notes, prepare documents when in transit, and consult the Internet etc. Nothing really much more than that. Can anybody advise what is the best MacBook or a Windows-running equivalent? Thanks for any input!

Edited by David Ayers

As a one time Windows and Ubuntu user who switched to an iMac four years ago, I can't see myself returning to Windows 8. So, here's one recommendation for OS X Mavericks and Yosemite (coming this fall). (By the way, Apple has/will made/make these last two versions of their operating system free of charge. A policy that seems here to stay.)

Everyone who owns a Mac that can connect to the App Store (OS X 10.6.8 or later, the current Mavericks is 10.9) can download the new operating system for free. The file you download can be double clicked to install. Alternatively you can make an install USB stick that allows you to do a clean install after formatting the hard drive. This works the same as DVDs used to, only much faster.

Edited by erwbol

I need to buy a new laptop. I need something very light that I can take to libraries make notes, prepare documents when in transit, and consult the Internet etc. Nothing really much more than that. Can anybody advise what is the best MacBook or a Windows-running equivalent? Thanks for any input!

David, if that's all you're looking to do with it, why not consider a tablet? An iPad can do all of that, and would cost you far less than a Macbook.

David, if that's all you're looking to do with it, why not consider a tablet? An iPad can do all of that, and would cost you far less than a Macbook.

Well yes I could - and add a keyboard you mean? That way I can get retina display which the Air doesn't have. But the Air seems to be very robust, just this question of the lower-quality display which is no longer the best...

Well yes I could - and add a keyboard you mean? That way I can get retina display which the Air doesn't have. But the Air seems to be very robust, just this question of the lower-quality display which is no longer the best...

Yeah, you could add a bluetooth keyboard, but I don't see why it would be necessary. In landscape mode the onscreen keys on the keyboard for the iPad are just as large as what you find on a regular keyboard.

IMHO a lap top has a lot of useful things more then a tablet and the external keyboard is an hassle. I have a MacBook Pro without retina and I am fine.

I don't own one, but have toyed with them in an Apple store before. The displays are just fine, but nowhere near the same quality as the Retina display.

Unless you watching movies or editing them or you are a graphic designer, the retina is useless IMHO

Useless? Everything looks much cleaner on the Retina display. Every web page you go to with imbedded video, photographs, or HD graphics are much improved with the Retina display. Apps look sharper, your personal photographs, etc...

If all you're going to use your Macbook/iPad for is typing and reading text, then the Retina display would be useless.

If it were useless, people wouldn't have been clamouring for Apple to release an iPad Mini with Retina display. It also would have never become the standard on all the other iDevices.

http://www.imore.com/ipad-ipad-2-retina-display-tests

I think I will go for a MacBook Air.

I need to write a lot and I think that is the bottom line.

I can always drop an iPad Mini in the basket as a top-up :):) :)

This what I just bought a couple of weeks ago, and it's wonderful, love it! Smooth to operate, and it syncs great with my iPhone, which is a big plus for me.

PS: Plus it's perfect for editing and graphics for a on-line magazine, which is what I'll be spending a lot of time on in the coming months.

Edited by Matthew

Actually, retina isn't a huge difference for photos and other media (although the color is much better).

The biggest difference is actually in the quality of the *text* display.

Pardon?

If you somehow believe 1440x900 pixels is somehow comparable to 2560x1600 pixels, you are delusional. Sorry.

Retina makes a huge difference, period. Click the link I provided above. It shows you magnified differences.

Not saying the lesser display doesn't look just fine, but Retina provides superior quality in every way possible.

David, it's a good choice. Please let us know your thoughts once you have settled in with your Macbook.

I've thought about getting a MacBook Air several times, but never could justify the cost for what would essentially be a casual-use machine. In my mind there's no question that it's the best general-use laptop currently available. I wound up getting a previous-generation Chromebook late last year at a substantially discounted price ($170), and have been quite happy with it, but I was also realistic about what it could and couldn't do when I bought it. If I'd needed something for heavier use, I'd have likely opted for the Air.

There's no way I'd recommend a tablet like the iPad if the intended use involves a lot of typing. For me, the on-screen keyboard is not optimal for heavy use, and frankly the iPad itself isn't particularly suited for significant text entry/editing even with a Bluetooth keyboard. I'm a big believer in using the right tool for the job. I have an iPhone 5, an iPad, a first-gen Kindle Fire, a Chromebook, and a Windows 7 desktop. Each has its place depending on the task at hand.

The Wirecutter's laptop recommendations are worth reading for anyone in the market for a new one. They picked the MacBook Air as the best overall laptop and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display as the best high-end laptop:

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/laptops/

Unless you watching movies or editing them or you are a graphic designer, the retina is useless IMHO

Useless? Everything looks much cleaner on the Retina display. Every web page you go to with imbedded video, photographs, or HD graphics are much improved with the Retina display. Apps look sharper, your personal photographs, etc...

If all you're going to use your Macbook/iPad for is typing and reading text, then the Retina display would be useless.

If it were useless, people wouldn't have been clamouring for Apple to release an iPad Mini with Retina display. It also would have never become the standard on all the other iDevices.

http://www.imore.com/ipad-ipad-2-retina-display-tests

Maybe useless isn't the correct word, yes retina is better, I have an iPhone with retina and Iove it, but the quality of non retina monitor is just ok for eveything I do on the lap top, and I am no an eagle eye.

Edited by porcy62

I would concur. They dropped the prices. I have an 2013 MB Pro... but the Air is perfect for what you need to do.

I got a MacBook Air this year and love it.

If you want to save some extra money get it refurbed from Apple...I have bought iPads and MacBooks from there. It works and you get the 1 year Apple warranty.

http://www.refurb.me/us/notebook/macbook_air/G0P01