John Hardee

Late

Last year, for economic reasons, I sold off nearly all my Chronological Classics titles. One title I knew I wouldn't part with is:

1358102403_john-hardee-1946-1948.jpg

Hardee plays what is probably my favorite version of "What Is This Thing Called Love?" — and, warhorse that it is, makes it feel, while not necessarily new ... mysterious. Shadows and fog.

Fans?

I often find Hardee's playing more engaging than his direct contemporary, Ike Quebec. Hardee was no trailblazer, granted, but that sound!

Although this label didn`t maintain a high standard reg their productions overall, I believe Black&Blue`s "John Hardee - A little Blue - The definitive Black&Blue Sessions" features some excellent perfomances by the late John Hardee.....

Edited by soulpope

I like listening to Hardee! Need to find my discs and give them another spin soon.

Can't tell you how much I wish this 75th Anniversary bash included some sets of the first ten years or so of the Blue Note recorded legacy. There seems increasingly less interest from fans or the labels in these years and that's a shame. . . .We're lucky for the sessions Michael Cuscuna and the Japanese have given us on cd, years ago.

For those who don't have the Chronological (or "Chronogigical") CD and who are LP collectors, Al Haig Meets the Master Saxes Volume One (Spotlite) contains Hardee's Castle/SIW sides and The Tenor Sax Album (Savoy) contains his Regent and Savoy sides, along with two cuts issued under Billy Taylor's leadership. Both are well worth seeking out.

Can't tell you how much I wish this 75th Anniversary bash included some sets of the first ten years or so of the Blue Note recorded legacy.

Yes, I also had the same hope but i believe they will be going for the big sellers and often reissued stuff.

TOCJ-66017

john_hardee_on_blue_note.jpg

I have some (not this one) CDs from this series, Art Hodes, Ike Quebec, The Port of Harlem Jazzmen, etc.