What's filed under "Q?"

jeffcrom

"Q" always posed a problem when I used to do A to Z shows by various artists on the radio (especially singers--Fitzgerald, Sinatra, Bennett, Vaughan). I'd end up playing "Quiet Nights" a lot and pretending not to notice its more important Brazilian title! ("V" was also tough--"Violets for Your Furs" and "Very Thought of You"--and I had to cheat with "X" using songs like "Exactly Like You").

gregmo

Ooh - I need some Quartet Out! They got 'em a pretty good tenor player.

Find them CDs and send me a PM, Sangrey.

I can't stress enough how screwed up our garage is and how disinterested I became in the playing of music for a good while. There's probably a correlation there?

If you're in no hurry, I will see what I can do. If you are in a hurry, hey, money will most assuredly not be an object: http://www.amazon.com/Quartet-Welcome-Party-Pete-Gallio/dp/B0006M1YMA

Add me to the list of folks who would grip.

No need to go to Brazil to fill the Q's in such lists if you do not focus on the leader's family name but include the names of the groups referring to the number of group members. ;)

Italy, for example, ABOUNDED in quartets and quintets in the 40s, 50s and early 60s that made many pop and sometimes semi-jazz recordings, starting with the

Quartetto Cetra

Quartetto Radar

Quartetto 2+2

Quartetto Enzo Gallo

Quattro Caravels

Quintetto Fantasia

as some of the more notable ones.

Not to forget the orchestra of Bruno QUIRINETTA.

(But no, speaking of qurtets/quintets, the Quintette du Hot Club de France really ought to be filed under Django Reinhardt and nowhere else. ;)

"Q" always posed a problem when I used to do A to Z shows by various artists on the radio (especially singers--Fitzgerald, Sinatra, Bennett, Vaughan).

So who'd you pick for X in an A to Z show based on (jazz-oriented) ARTISTS? ;) ;)

"Q" always posed a problem ...and I had to cheat with "X" using songs like "Exactly Like You").

Why? :lol:

How about "XYZ" by the great Fatha Hines and his Orchestra? Some instrumentals could never do any harm in between and this one COOKS!

Or in a much more modern vein in jazz programming, "Xenobiosis" by Albert Mangelsdorff, "Xibaba" by Donald Byrd or "Xlento" by Hank Mobley. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

From 2011, on Origin. Funny thing is, I actually ordered this by accident, but decided to give it a shot and ended up liking it. 'Some unique instrumentation on this one (Stover and Thomas play everything from trombone to vibes to bandoneon and percussion), and the more adventurous tunes actually work the best here. Anyhoo . . .

MI0003107191.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Record/CD filing systems (or lack thereof) can be idiosyncratic. I've got a few things that could go under "Q," but which I file elsewhere - like The Quintet, which I put with Charlie Parker, for whatever reason.

And more folks need Snoozer Quinn in their lives. I should start a thread.

No need to go to Brazil to fill the Q's in such lists if you do not focus on the leader's family name but include the names of the groups referring to the number of group members. ;)

Italy, for example, ABOUNDED in quartets and quintets in the 40s, 50s and early 60s that made many pop and sometimes semi-jazz recordings, starting with the

Quartetto Cetra

Quartetto Radar

Quartetto 2+2

Quartetto Enzo Gallo

Quattro Caravels

Quintetto Fantasia

as some of the more notable ones.

Not to forget the orchestra of Bruno QUIRINETTA.

(But no, speaking of qurtets/quintets, the Quintette du Hot Club de France really ought to be filed under Django Reinhardt and nowhere else. ;)

Yes, that's a thought - but I only have a Cuban quartet, and they don't spell it right :) - Cuarteto Patria.

MG

Like others. I have Quebec, Quinichette, Quattlebaum, & Quartet Out.

Also came across:

ackermanpurvis.jpg

Quartet + 1 - Bob Ackerman, Pam Purvis, Wilber Morris, Denis Charles, Herb Robertson (Cadence Jazz Records)

and

1531421.jpg

Henry Qualls: Blues from Elmo, Texas (Dallas Blues Society)

Probably the only blues record in existence with a cover of the Newbeats' "Bread and Butter" on it.