Christmas songs that irritate you

Milestones

By "spineless" I didn't mean anything about content but rather that the melodic shape/rhythmic profile of "O Holy Night" seems so limp to me. Not that I want it to "chug along" or anything like it, but compared to the no less gentle "Silent Night" it strike me as the musical equivalent of an undercooked omelette.

That song that Darlene Love sings every year on Letterman is pretty good IMO.

One of the greatest pop records ever made, imo, regardless of seasonality.

And as long as I don't have to hear it except when I want to, that Mariah Carey record is a worthy-ish successor. That's how you do it!

I can't stand the gramma/reindeer song, nor the one about the little boy wanting to buy shoes for his near-dead momma. Other than that, show me what ya' got, I'm game. I play Christmas records anytime, sometimes.

O Holy Night, For Your Precious Love, Unchained Melody, hey, it's time to slow dance, people.

Thought it would be interesting to see what people say on this one. By and large I enjoy Christmas music, and I also like a fair amount of the jazz stuff (and, to be fair, jazz is not all that suited).

I do mean songs that always sound irritating/annoying. We all know that a good song can be butchered by various singers/musicians.

Here are some I really can't stand anymore (pretty much always could not stand them):

"Rockin' around the Christmas Tree"

"Jingle Bell Rock"

"Grandma got Run over by a Reindeer"

"Santa Baby"

Those four are annoying. Add McCartney's, Wonderful Christmas Time and All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth. I'm sure there are some others but these top my list. Oh, I guess the dogs barking Jingle Bells. It was cute when I was a child, but not so much anymore. But I take the bad with the good.

I mean we hear the music once a year and some of it is really beautiful stuff. My Step-Daughter always says she hates hearing me play it, but I know she's just trying to be hard and way too cool for it. :rolleyes:

Last night there was a Albert Ayler Christmas concert by Witches And Devils in Chicago. Christmas carols alternating with variouos Ayler themes and free improvisations; Witches And Devils are the Extraordinary Popular Delusions plus Josh Berman, Kent Kessler, Fred Lonberg-Holm, and Jeb Bishop. Suddenly this band gave me the Christmas spirit and now I love everybody.