Butch Warren discography question

bertrand

My son and I have been checking out Butch Warren at a jam session on most wednesdays (not tonight) at Twins' in D.C.

I was thinking of making a compilation CD for him of some of Butch's greatest moments. I have the BN discography, and a Monk discography, but does anyone know of other sessions with Butch? I have:

Kenny Dorham Jazz Contemporary

The Arrival of KD

Elmo Hope Celebrity/Beacon sessions

Walter Bishop Trio (Prestige)

Booker Ervin: Exultation

Any others? Ideally, a response from someone with one of the Jazz discography CD-ROMS (Lord et alia) would be great!

By the way, I think his last recording session was 2/12/64 (rejected Grant Green on BN). That's forty years ago!

Thanks in advance,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

He plays on the Slide Hampton album Exodus (feat. Richard Williams, Nat Pavone, tp; Slide Hampton, Benjamin Jacobs-El, tb; George Coleman, ts; Jay Cameron, bs; Butch Warren, b; Vinnie Ruggiero, ds). This was recorded in november 1962 for Philips, now available in the JiParis series.

Was he a steady member in Slide's band at the time?

The jam session co-led by Butch Warren and pianist Peter Edelman is at the 'old' location at 5516 Colorado Avenue NW (corner of Colorado and Longfellow, just off 14th street and just south of the intersection of 14th and Military road). They start around 8:00 PM in theory. Last week they started at 8:20, but the week before Peter got lost picking up Butch and they didn't hit until after 9:00.

We skipped going this week, but will probably be there next week, since on 3/3 I will be at the U street Twins location for the Peter Brotzmann/Hamid Drake/William Parker trio. Anyone who can come support them would be great; it's been pretty empty so far, although some excellent musicians like saxophonist Fred Foss and trumpeter Michael Thomas have sat in.

When they were very late 2 weeks ago, my son (almost 4) started speculating (out loud) about Butch's whereabouts: 'Maybe he's getting a haircut', 'Maybe he's buying new shoes', 'Maybe he's using the potty'. So THAT'S WHY jazz musicians are often late for gigs!

He's getting the complete jazz experience, including the 'sitting around waiting for musicians to show up'.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Here's a list of what I have, from my database:

Kenny Dorham 1960-01-10 The Arrival Of Kenny Dorham Fresh Sound(Jaro)

Kenny Dorham 1960-02-11,12 Jazz Contemporary Time

Grant Green 1960-11-16; 1961-10-27 First Session Blue Note

Donald Byrd 1961-09-21 Royal Flush Blue Note

Jackie McLean 1961-10-26 A Fickle Sonance Blue Note

Sonny Clark 1961-11-13 Leapin' And Lopin' Blue Note

Donald Byrd 1961-12-11 Free Form Blue Note

Herbie Hancock 1962-05-28 Takin' Off Blue Note

Jackie McLean 1962-06-14; 1963-02-11 Vertigo Blue Note

Dexter Gordon 1962-08-27 GO! Blue Note

Dexter Gordon 1962-08-29 A Swingin' Affair Blue Note

Jackie McLean 1962-09-28 Tippin' The Scales Blue Note

Stanley Turrentine 1962-10-18 Jubilee Shout!!! Blue Note

Slide Hampton 1962-11-14, 18 Exodus Gitanes

Horace Parlan 1963-02-15 Happy Frame Of Mind Blue Note

Hank Mobley 1963-03-07; 10-02 No Room For Squares Blue Note

Hank Mobley 1963-03-07; 1965-02-05 The Turnaround Blue Note

Hank Mobley 1963-03-07;1966-06-17 Straight No Filter Blue Note

Thelonious Monk 1963-03-09,64,66 Evidence France's Concert

Kenny Dorham 1963-04-01 Una Mas Blue Note

Joe Henderson 1963-06-03 Page One Blue Note

Booker Ervin 1963-06-19 Exultation! Prestige

Thelonious Monk 1963-07-04 Misterioso Columbia

Thelonious Monk 1963-12-30 Big Band And Quartet In Concert Columbia

Thelonious Monk 1964-01-29 It's Monk's Time Columbia

Thelonious Monk 1964-02-22 Iss.1989 Live In Paris 1964 Alhambra Vol.1 France's Concert

Thelonious Monk 1964-02-23 Iss.1989 Live In Paris, 1964 France's Concert

Thelonious Monk 1964-03-09 MONK Columbia

Butch Warren is also on a second Walter Bishop trio date (1963) for the Cotillon label, with Jimmy Cobb.

He also is the bass player on the McCoy Tyner Impulse session for the 'Today and Tomorrow' album (with Thad Jones, Frank Strozier, John Gilmore, Tyner and Elvin Jones).

That's all the non BN/Monk material I could find.

Butch has four recorded (and copyrighted) compositions that I know of:

1. 'Eric Walks' from Leapin' And Lopin'

2. 'The Way I Feel' from Vertigo

3. 'The Backbone' from A Swingin' Affair

4. 'Lost' from A Fickle Sonance

A friend of mine who used to play with him said he pulled out another original once, but she couldn't remember the title. She did not think it was one of those four. I have found no other copyrights, however.

Thanks to everyone so far. Keep 'em coming!

Bertrand.

Here's one I'd forgotten: he's on side one of McCoy Tyner's Today And Tomorrow (Impulse!), which is a killer record.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, do I take this to mean you do not read my posts? ^_^

Mentioned the McCoy Tyner album appearance by Butch Warren in one of my earlier post.

Agree, it's a killer record.

No, it means I forget things from one day to the next! I came up with the Tyner today after looking through a database at the Library of Congress called OCLC. Somehow, I just plain forgot that you had already listed it!

So, apart from the Dixieland date that Chuck noticed, his last recording date was the Timmons (which I have never heard). I don't think that one's on CD yet.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, 'Holiday Soul' does not seem to have been reissued on CD. Too bad since it is an excellent Christmas songs album. Very swinging, very hip. Couldn't imagine anything else from Timmons! Butch Warren is well featured especially on 'White Christmas' and 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'. And it was timely to play this for Walter Perkins' masterly drumming. Enjoyed listening to the LP after your query re Warren. I rank this now as my favorite Christmas album!

Trust you aware that Shorter was the star of that other Bobby Timmons Prestige album 'The Soul Man!'. Love Shorter on that one...

Jim,

We went tonight, but Edelman had a sub (for the next few weeks in fact), so I couldn't ask him.

Butch told me he wrote two more compositions: 'America, America' and 'Pink Elephant'. He said that he gave the latter to Cecil Payne, and that he later heard it on the radio, so someone must have recorded it. I suspect it was not credited to Butch.

Brownie,

Butch told me he remembered the Timmons session very well. I forgot to tell him that Perkins had passed away. I suspect that he is not aware of this sad news.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand